General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

warming up the engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 09:03 PM
Regulate

warming up the engine

When you guys start your car, do you let it warm it up a bit before driving? Is it better to do so when its cold? How bout when its warm out?
Old 09-18-2002, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

its always a good idea to let the engine lubricate its-self before funnin it. so as a word/rule of thumb give it a couple minutes to get warm.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Not to go against rudeboy, but the actual rule of thumb is when the car is dead cold, let it start up for 30 seconds then drive casually until the oil warms up and then let it rip.

If you started the car up after the oil is warm (remember I say oil and not water temp; oil takes a little longer to warm up that the water) then you only should wait like 5-10 seconds or so. Thus the falacy of remote starters. All they do is ruin a car.
Old 09-19-2002, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

why do remote starters suck ? i thought they let the car heat up etc... i was thinkin of getting that when i get an alarm... unless u can tell me otherwise...
Old 09-19-2002, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

i don't have to worry about warming my engine up- i've got an electric engine block heater
Old 09-19-2002, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

You should warm your car up until the temperature gauge is in the middle. No matter what the temperature outside is. If you don't warm up your car you'll have premature wear on the piston rings, less fuel economy, and you'll have to change your oil more often.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

while we are on the subject... lets say for example when i start the car... and it was raining the night before... i let it sit while i start and for some reason it just cuts off on me once in a while... i have to rev the engine in order for it not to turn off... ive ha a mechanic look at it and he said it was the idle air control valve... anyone have any ifo on this ? its 150 for the part from nissan according to the guy.... u think it might be that?
Old 09-19-2002, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Well if you look in new car manuals, they say that the car should never be left in idle when starting up for more than 30 sec. Read a new car manual and they will tell u.

Malice it could also be the EGR valve like I think it might be in mine too. I get erradic idle all the time, and I have a feeling that's what it is. I also need some new spark plugs, so that could be it also.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

what i don't get is why not to let your car sit at idle.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

well some of the main reasons is that it clogs up the catalytic converter after a while of continuous idiling throughout the life of the car. it also makes the oil last shorter, because remember that oil is suppose to last 3000 miles, not 3000 miles plus idle time. so that also is taken into consideration. also think about the wear it does to the piston rings. THey are working and doing nothing, so they are just wearing down while no motion is going on.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by malicex000
why do remote starters suck ? i thought they let the car heat up etc... i was thinkin of getting that when i get an alarm... unless u can tell me otherwise...
I heard that if you don't watch out with them your car will try and drive itself to work without you.

I let my car run a little bit then get moving. I listen and wait for the idle to die down to normal. It usually runs a little strong then runs normally.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo
I heard that if you don't watch out with them your car will try and drive itself to work without you.
Nah that only happens to my car. My car starts driving itself because it was in gear only a few times. SO what If i hit a house and another car on separate occasions.

well those are actually two of the reason its disabled now, and the third because I found the car runs sluggish after being remote started for a while.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

wow... well the alarm system setup i was told about comes with it... so u guys say no ?
Old 09-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

I had it and its nice in the winter, but when you now install it, your starter goes bad in about two weeks. My cousin had his go in three weeks and mine went in two weeks. Two different cars, two different installers.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

you're kiddin right? your car really drove it's self into large objects?

Quick Reply: warming up the engine