General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

weight loss??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

weight loss??

anybody have any good weight loss tips that can help a brotha out besides the back seat???
Old 08-27-2002, 11:36 PM
Nzo

Re: weight loss??

Run a few miles every day.
Remove all sound deadening, washer fluid reservoir, carpets, etc.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:17 AM
Contributing Member

clean the car
Old 08-28-2002, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

seriously though, are you timing your car in the 1/4 mile? your not really going to be able to do a whole lot to reduce your cars weight, and any weight you do take off isn't really going to matter all that much really...but if your REALLY must, take out your speakers, rear view mirror, seat belts, radio, AC, get a carbon body instead of metal, hubcaps, windshield wipers

i know i'm missing a few things but u get the point
Old 08-28-2002, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

I know glass is heavy. You could look into making plexy windows to replace the glass ones you have now.

I know there are members of honda-tech that have made their own for there drag cars. I forget what fittings they used but I think they started with a Z.

They got the plexy sheets from Home Depot, molded shaped them to the frames, painted the boarders and installed the fittings.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo
I know glass is heavy. You could look into making plexy windows to replace the glass ones you have now.

I know there are members of honda-tech that have made their own for there drag cars. I forget what fittings they used but I think they started with a Z.

They got the plexy sheets from Home Depot, molded shaped them to the frames, painted the boarders and installed the fittings.
see, this is what i dont understand....your talking about glass...GLASS...is having plexi glass in your car REALLY going to make you any faster? i'm sure that if you went ALL out and did everything you could to reduce weight...you wouldn't make that much of a difference in your times....

in my eyes, weight reduction is a last resort
Old 08-28-2002, 12:05 PM

Although I never thought I would but I agree with leiferik1. Weight reduction is a black and white thing. If your not willing to dump the creature comforts and go head first into weight reduction you'll never see a usefull difference. You'll get much better results with attention to other areas on the car.

Statik
Old 08-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Statik
Although I never thought I would but I agree with kackarot.
why didn't u think u'd ever agree with me?
Old 08-28-2002, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by leiferik1

see, this is what i dont understand....your talking about glass...GLASS...is having plexi glass in your car REALLY going to make you any faster? i'm sure that if you went ALL out and did everything you could to reduce weight...you wouldn't make that much of a difference in your times....

in my eyes, weight reduction is a last resort
I know where you are coming from. But there was a question asked so I threw an answer in there. There might come a time when Rude is driving a gutted drag car and could use it.

I personally make my wallet lighter of 3K and get either a swap or turbo kit.

Old 08-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo

I personally make my wallet lighter of 3K and get either a swap or turbo kit.
indeed, if your trying to make your car faster u can't be cheap about it....go out and buy good name brand engine mods
Old 08-28-2002, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

buy a tornado turbo..... i hear those are rrreeeeaaallly fast.... ill try to find a link...
Old 08-28-2002, 09:21 PM

weight reduction not only helps acceleration and top speed but it also helps in handling.

i would get rid of AC, the back seat, the seatbelts, take out the spare tire, dont get a sub/amp, get lighter rims, get a carbon fiber hood/quarter panels, stay away from those heavy polyeurathane body kits, carbon fiber bodied seats in the front

after a decent amount of weight reduction you will be able to notice a significant difference
Old 08-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 95exlude
i would get rid of AC, the back seat, the seatbelts, take out the spare tire, dont get a sub/amp, get lighter rims, get a carbon fiber hood/quarter panels, stay away from those heavy polyeurathane body kits, carbon fiber bodied seats in the front
this is his daily driver
Old 08-28-2002, 11:12 PM

for a daily driver, only dif thing really would be to keep the spare tire
Old 08-29-2002, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

you're right this is my daily driver but this will be one of the illest daily drivers on the street. thanks for the info guys.
does anybody make carbon fiber or light weight aluminum fenders for the s13?? havent seen any. i know of a few good light weight suspension componets out there.
i'm not a drag racer
i saw an R34 in super street with carbon fiber doors. that was some hot sh*t. whats the best wat to get rid of that tar like stuff under my carpet???
i figured that fiberglass would be heaver then urethane.

need more input!!

Quick Reply: weight loss??