General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

What color to repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:51 PM

What color to repaint?

Hey guys, I'm just trying to get some feedback from other 240 owners. Here's the deal: I bought this s14 a week ago from a friend of mine. There are tons of new seals, gaskets, optima battery, starter, MAF sensor, etc...already done to the car. It runs perfect! A/C is cold as hell! Only problem is.......you guessed it, it's automatic. Anyways, the only real deal is that it needs bodywork and a new paint job. The good thing is that my family owns a bodyshop here in Hawaii. I like the car, but it may be too small for my needs. Therefore, I'm thinking about doing the work, repainting it, and selling it. I have 2 questions for all you guys: 1) What color should I paint it? (I was leaning more towards Mercedes' Pewter Metallic or something similar) or second question 2) Should I just keep it that same gold color and hope that the person buying it doesn't mind the color?
My thinking is that I'm already going to be painting the car complete. The only difference is that now if I change color, I need to shoot the door jambs, trunk, and under the hood. I think the sale will be easier with a nice NEW color. What do you guys think? I'm also leaning towards soing some small mods like shaving the trunk emblems, 3rd brake light, hood nozzles etc... What are some other trends with s14's that I could do. I've seen guys with the s13's doing the black roof thing....what about s14's. I'm just trying to see what I can do to make the sale a little easier. Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

repainting the car will definately up resale price... i dont really like the tan color, and like darker colors, blue and black on s14's. That's unfortunate that you are going to sell the car, but making it look good again is awesome
Old 10-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

If I were you, I'd gather up some pictures of some 240's with some nice colors. Put an ad out for the car detailing the various new parts you described and mention the fact that you have access to a bodyshop. Offer to paint the car whatever color the buyer wants it painted for a slight discount price (but obviously including the price of the paintjob). Personally, I haven't seen many silver 240's that I like~ but that's just my tastes. I really like Porsche Midnight Metallic Blue, but I'm not sure how it would look on a 240... Ferrari has a dark blue that is beautiful too... (550 Maranello's came in it).
Old 10-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

haha, there's a silver silvia in your sig... but it looks good on that car... goo idea though
Old 10-11-2005, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
If I were you, I'd gather up some pictures of some 240's with some nice colors. Put an ad out for the car detailing the various new parts you described and mention the fact that you have access to a bodyshop. Offer to paint the car whatever color the buyer wants it painted for a slight discount price (but obviously including the price of the paintjob). Personally, I haven't seen many silver 240's that I like~ but that's just my tastes. I really like Porsche Midnight Metallic Blue, but I'm not sure how it would look on a 240... Ferrari has a dark blue that is beautiful too... (550 Maranello's came in it).
Funny thing you mention that, because right after I posted this, I thought of doing that. The only hard part is securing the sale. I would really hate to paint the car bright orange, and the guy flakes . I guess what I'm looking for is a color that is mutually pleasing to the majority ( and I guess somewhat to me also. Which makes no sense since I'd be selling it anyway! ). And yet something that would turn heads and attract buyers. Can you guys think of any simple, clean mods to increase the value of the car. I'm sure there's some small things out there that others have done. Who knows, I may end up keeping the car if it looks sweet. Come on guys, keep the input coming. I definitely like that midnight blue color. Lexus makes a nice dark blue (almost black), but too bad, my brother already painted his Tacoma that color!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

easy: get a nonrefundalbe deposit for the paint job and sale. make sure to get everythign in writing too. and make sure evrythign is clearly satted! if not, go for nissan's aztec red (as found on my 93 s13 parts car) or that ferrari special red color that no one can replicate. italian red is it?

clean the interior and engine bay too.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

yeah, pretty much what he said~ that's why I mentioned the slight discount. Have the buyer pay in full, or at least 85% of the amount~ tell him where the car will be sitting (locked in the bodyshop) and give him the keys. Personally if I didn't already have a car, I'd jump at the chance to pick up a 240 in whatever color I want... as for mods to up the value, I think the phrase "Cleanliness is Godliness" comes to mind... just clean EVERYTHING.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 AM

[i]The only hard part is securing the sale. I would really hate to paint the car bright orange, and the guy flakes . I guess what I'm looking for is a color that is mutually pleasing to the majority[/B]
Yes....you need to find out what most people like in your area.........i would say in Hawaii that a bright color ( Yellow, red, ect. ) or a ( Black Or Blue ).....really up to you.....good luck......
Old 10-12-2005, 10:07 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I may go that route and maybe do the pre-sale thing. At least that way, the customer buying the car is going to be getting a high quality paint job, in the color he/she wants. Something to think about.
As for cleanliness, the car has 126K miles on it, but the interior is immaculate. The seats look and feel brand new ( just a touch faded though ). The carpets and floor mats are spotless. The engine bay however is a bit dirty. Any of you guys recommend any engine cleaning products? I'm a noob at engine cleaning. It's too bad, because I know once I paint the car, I'll probably want to keep it. Maybe I should talk to the GF and see if we can get something else for her! .
Old 10-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

if you paint it before you sell it consider a pearl. most people can't pass up a good pearl.

i shot a fender in a purple pearl metallic and it was teh hotness
Old 10-12-2005, 12:36 PM

Also, what do you guys think about adding a body kit and installing that as well. Think that will help? There's some guys selling some parts that I could piece together for a complete kit. Can you tell that I just want to mod this bi-ch and keep it?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

yeah we kinda get that feeling. Giving yourself an incentive to keep it.
"Well, I've dont all this work, might as well keep it." lol
Old 10-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

don't put on the kit, just leave it stock... most of us like to buy them so we can do the mods ourselves and to our tastes/preferences.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:05 PM

Yeah, I feel you. That's why I was originally inquiring about springs and stuff, but I guess if you think about it, most guys will usually want coilovers anyway. I guess I just wanted to drop the car to see it semi-modded after it gets painted ! I know.............. I'm a fool.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

forget everything we said: keep it, you know you want it

Quick Reply: What color to repaint?