General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

what engines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 07:39 AM

what engines?

Hello,

I have a question, my engine have a 203000 miles, and a wan change this, but maybe can i put other engine, and this is my question, what engines can i put to my car? or only engine from 240. thank's. (my car: 240 sx, se, 1991)
Old 03-11-2003, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

you can do various swap soem will just cost more

SR20DET, CA18DET, RB20DET, RB25DET, RB26DETT, or a VG30DET(T)

those are all doable along with alot of other things but the cost can vary plan on haveing a good 3 grand to get oen and have it swaped in
Old 03-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Re: what engines?

Originally posted by isaul
Hello,

I have a question, my engine have a 203000 miles, and a wan change this, but maybe can i put other engine, and this is my question, what engines can i put to my car? or only engine from 240. thank's. (my car: 240 sx, se, 1991)
I suppose that depends on whether or not you want to go legal. Be forewarned that a JDM motor swap is completely 100% illegal in our 240's. Also, I might be wrong here (as occurs frequently ), but I think that even swapping the VQ30/VG30 (not sure) motor in is not legal since it was never sold in a 240. However, I've read that as long as you don't go blabbing about what you have, there are ways that you can get through emissions testing (maybe even in CA). If legality is an issue, throw another KA24DE in there. If it isn't, then see the previous post from Catharsis:

Originally posted by Catharsis
you can do various swap soem will just cost more

SR20DET, CA18DET, RB20DET, RB25DET, RB26DETT, or a VG30DET(T)

those are all doable along with alot of other things but the cost can vary plan on haveing a good 3 grand to get oen and have it swaped in
Old 03-11-2003, 10:02 AM

Sr20det!!!!

sr= v8.

like this...

or this..

aunque te soy honesto no se .Si en Cd. juares puedas consegui unos de esos...
Old 03-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Sil40, make sure you have your information straight, there is no law against swaping a motor into your car as long as it passes your states smog test. I have talked with the police about JDM motors and it is completly compliant with all laws as long as any smog is passed (and there is none)

also if you are going for straight line proformance a V8 will out do any 4cyl any day of the week
Old 03-11-2003, 11:08 AM

And the sr fit perfectly in a 240sx.

With the other engines you need to do a little mod...
Old 03-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Catharsis, I suppose that may be true, as I said, I'm no expert in the car realm. However, it was my understanding that motors that were not originally sold in any vehicles in the U.S. were not D.O.T. approved and, therefore, not legal for public road use. I always thought that if it could pass emissions/smog, it was okay, but I know that our government can be funny about things sometimes. Hey, what you said could very well be the case. If what the police said is true, is it possible that you can point me in the right direction as to where to obtain some kind of documentation that says that JDM motors and whatnot are okay? Like would I need to visit the DMV, division of highways, U.S. EPA...? Not trying to be an a$$ or anything, but I don't want to dump big $$ into my ride and then have it all got to $h!t if I get busted with illegal stuff. I know, I know, that's probably not that likely, but with my luck... By the way, thanks for correcting me like a human being instead of flaming me like some *expletive deleted* like I see at other message boards. That's why club240 absolutely rocks!
Old 03-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

CUrrently you do not have to tell the govenment what motor you have in your car. they only requirement for a motor to be do legal is that it passes smog. the main thing is that a car's saftey features such as windows 5mpg bumpers and the fram have to meet DOT standards. as long as you dont modify that you are fine. You may want to chec you local laws in SC, becasue it may be different. now when yo uget beyond changing the motor is where things get sticky for alot of places.

And i am very much welcome to inform people rather than flame then. Flameing does no good we are all tring to inprove out knowlage and we can all be right all the time. Glad your on Club240...

also the ca18det droops straight in also ind is alot of times an esier swap than the sr20
Old 03-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Catharsis, it doesn't matter if the engine will pass any emission test. It was never tested and certified by any government agency of any kind, hence making it illegal for any public road use. Don't believe what cops tell you they don't really know.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

i have never heard of a motor needing to meed specific regulations other than smog.... please do tell and list cite a source
Old 03-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Regulate

Luckily, most cops and inspection stations probably won't have a clue what kind of engine you have in your car. They don't even look under the hood. Unless you don't pass emissions. That should be your main concern.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:20 AM

thank' every body, the inspection is not problem i live in Mexico, betwen El paso tx, and my car have a plate from mexico, in my city i can apreve the inspection whit 20 dlls and is redy, this watever smog emisions, the emision is not a problem, but the problem is find in my city or el paso a engine of that, if i cant find where can i buy by internet, tanks.(sorry for the english)
Old 03-13-2003, 07:17 AM

i have other question , i can buy the 300zx engine but i need too the transmition, or with the transmition from 240sx. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Catharsis
Sil40, make sure you have your information straight, there is no law against swaping a motor into your car as long as it passes your states smog test. I have talked with the police about JDM motors and it is completly compliant with all laws as long as any smog is passed (and there is none)

also if you are going for straight line proformance a V8 will out do any 4cyl any day of the week
Well, consider yourself lucky that the cops in your area are not familiar with the laws.

It is not legal to bring in any non-us motor for installation in any vehicle that will operate on public roadways.

Will you get caught? Probably not... but if you do run into a cop familiar with the regulations it can get very expensive for you.

-Justin
Old 03-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
Catharsis, it doesn't matter if the engine will pass any emission test. It was never tested and certified by any government agency of any kind, hence making it illegal for any public road use. Don't believe what cops tell you they don't really know.
Bingo. Give the man a cookie!

-Justin

Quick Reply: what engines?