General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

What Octane Do You use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:49 AM

Question What Octane Do You use?

Nissan recommends premium, but I was just wondering what everyone pumps up with?

I normally run premium or midgrade just cause (it's a fully stock KA).

If you respond and you are running high compression or forced induction you might wanna say.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

search its been argured over. i belive the thread is about 6 pages deep.

Personaly I only use 93 from Sunoco. Im going turbo in about 1 months and u must use a higher octane to prevent detonation.

the only time i use 89 is if my pockets were hurting badly.

Last edited by Biggamehit; 01-14-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

I use 93 octane shell gas if I can or bp, mobile if needed. This is with the sr20 of course.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:56 AM
PNG

87 octane from Arco or Costco. If I know I'll be going to the track, I'll fill it up with 91, but so far it hasn't shown any desire to knock even with the crappy gas when the bottle's on.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:00 PM

93 on the KA. just exhaust and intake. i tried 93 one time and just thought it felt smoother, especially in the higher rpms. so now i fill up with that, but lately I've been using 87 cuz gas has went back up as u know :P. hurry up and get hids and an exhaust!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

94 sunoco all the time, only stuff i use
Old 01-13-2006, 02:33 PM

you have 93 wherever you guys are. we only get 91 here in cali. i run 91. 2.63 a gallon today
Old 01-13-2006, 03:12 PM

waste of money to use premium on a mildly modded ka, only if you have an sr or higly modded ka. stick with chevron 89, thats it. trust me the extra cents dont make a difference...
Old 01-13-2006, 03:14 PM

I figured this had been discussed before so I searched but didn't find anything, guess I didnt search long enough . Anyways, thanks for responding guys!
Old 01-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

89, works fine.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Chevron 91, with the old SR.

Ran 1/2 91 and 1/2 100 once..but that's $5.40 a gallon, so I never did it again.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Premium in any 49 states equals CAli's Supreme (91 Octane)........
For those using anything above 91 octane with OBD1 KA24de is retarded. The ecu knock setting won't calibrate anything higher without an ecu tune, so pretty much wasting money no matter what mod you have done (accept NOS injection, or advancing timing @ the distributor, which will sometimes need a higher octane to prevent detonation from hot plugs).
OBD2 KA24de ecu's are more aggressive than OBD1 ecu's and work better with 96octane for performance benefits, although from the factory it is still recomended to use 91 octane for fuel effeciency to performance.....
If you use lower grade fuels that is your perogative although not recomended, it can cause (knock and ping). It also decreases the performance of the engine by retarding the timing of the ecu from the knock sensor responce (adjusting the TTP). IMO it slightly decreases gas mileage to use a lower grade fuel on smog systems that use knock sensors, (unless some one here has info to prove me wrong).........
If Nissan recomends Premium, then just use premium!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BigVinnie; 01-13-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, for (mostly stock) ka I would stick to middle grade, not realy worth the extra money.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:31 AM

Not trying to start a war but, a lower grade gasoline burns faster than a higher grade. hence the reason people use it with higher compression, so it burns slower.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by SeanC_wa
Not trying to start a war but, a lower grade gasoline burns faster than a higher grade. hence the reason people use it with higher compression, so it burns slower.
This is how octane works.....
Lower grade fuels have less O2 content.. That means at burn off or atomization (to make vaporization) you will have less O2 content with a lower grade fuel than a higher grade fuel.
O2 sensors pick up O2 content with this little pin in the O2 sensor called Platinum.
Higher O2 content fuels fool the O2 sensor that there is more O2 in the mixture than gass (hydro carbon content), slightly more fuel will be dumped to make the right mixture that the engine demands. (This type of programing is designed to lower knock and ping, optimize performance as well as fuel economy).
This is were the Knock sensor comes into play... Since the O2 sensor determines the amount of fuel that is being used (fuel dumping as part of the A/F ratio) determined by the O2 signal, the knock sensor will determine the advancement/retarding of the fuel cycle. Since the O2 sensor reads that the mixture in content isn't as rich in O2 (lower grade fuels) it will dump less fuel. More O2 (Just air from the atmosphere) being used in the compression process creates more heat in the combustion chamber. Heat is the number one factor that degrades performance and increases detonotaion, fuel dumping (with higher grade octanes) is actually used to decrease these tempratures. So the knock sensor tells the ecu that the Knock signal is higher (with lower grade fuels), in this process the timing is adjusted to regulate the laitent heat tempratures (this means that fuel dumping and timing is retarded, it kills acceleration, Miles Per Gallon, and may cause Knock and Ping).

Originally posted by SeanC_wa
Not trying to start a war but, a lower grade gasoline burns faster than a higher grade
Gasoline weither it is 89 octane or even 91 octane will burn at the same rate of time both are composed of the same (Hydro carbons), one just carries more oxygen to make fuel dumping more effecient depending on the ECU tune that is provided for that engine.....

Last edited by BigVinnie; 01-14-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: What Octane Do You use?