General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

What would an RB25 or RB26 S14 be like?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:11 PM

What would an RB25 or RB26 S14 be like?

I am looking to get myself a new car 18months from my commission. I have driven anything from Turbo P cars, to the new M5, EVO's... STi's... Supras... you name it I have probably had seat time in one. I can not afford anything under the sun, otherwise I doubt I would have such indecision as to what I want.

I was curious as to what an RB25 or 26 swapped S14 would be like? In my perfect world I would have myself a clean BPU MKIV Supra but they are just out of my price range. I have considered LS1 FD's but I hear that they just feel like a crazy kit car... not as if the car was meant to be like that...

I was wondering what an an RB25 or 26 swapped S14 would be like, and if it would feel natural and be an awesome car someone couldnt possibly get sick of... or if it would feel too, like a kit car... fast as hell but has more rattles and issues than I want to deal with...

A buddy of mine had a 1997 Kouki conversion KA, formerly a KA-T... the car looked amazing but drove like complete dog ****. He bought the car already modded, except it was converted back to stock power (well he had an exhaust) the ride was REDICULOUS! It was so stiff, and bouncy and annoying I couldn't stand to be in it. The car only had 82,000 miles on it. It just felt tired and slapped together. This is NOT what I want. I also don't want a car that can't put the power to the ground, tail happy is not what I am looking for.

I am not looking to make the most power in the whole wide world, I just want something clean, different, reliable with nice handling and good power. If I could buy an S15 Silvia in the US, I would do bolt ons, mild cosmetics and some minor suspension work and call it good. But I can't have that so this is my option.

What worries is me is that people sell RB25 and 26 240sx's so often. It makes me think they aren't worth keeping and I remember watching a show on FX "Bull run"... that RB26 240sx was the first car knocked out of the competition because of how finicky/quirky it was...

Is this a bad idea? I would like to buy a clean swapped (pref not modded but the job was done well and right). I can add my own touch as far as mechanical modification and cosmetic.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:21 PM

240sx = tailhappy.

With the money you'd have to swap a RB in I'd suggest building and turbo'in the KA.

Really the KA when built is an awesome motor! If you don't want a stiff ride, don't do suspension.

Then again, if you don't do suspension you might as well buy a truck, that's what a stock suspension 240 looks like anyway!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

RB26 is a lot of work to make it function properly, that is why that swap has somewhat died down in the 240 base. It took us over 7 months to build a 600 hp S13 powered by a 26. But look at how long it took us to do that, and we still had things to fix along the way.

If you want an RB, the 25 is an easier swap. But the front end of the car with an RB will be very nose heavy.

If you want cheap, but reliable hp, build a KA-T like Fries said. The KA-T is a fun build and can handle a lot of power. I've seen 400+ hp KA-T's being driven daily, Turbo mag this month featured a 750 hp KA-T.

If you want around 400 hp from a lighter engine, go SR and build that little bad boy.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by NiSmO Knight
RB26 is a lot of work to make it function properly, that is why that swap has somewhat died down in the 240 base. It took us over 7 months to build a 600 hp S13 powered by a 26. But look at how long it took us to do that, and we still had things to fix along the way.

If you want an RB, the 25 is an easier swap. But the front end of the car with an RB will be very nose heavy.

If you want cheap, but reliable hp, build a KA-T like Fries said. The KA-T is a fun build and can handle a lot of power. I've seen 400+ hp KA-T's being driven daily, Turbo mag this month featured a 750 hp KA-T.

If you want around 400 hp from a lighter engine, go SR and build that little bad boy.
I just want the most drivable and fun solution... Not something that I get on and I am playing, keep it on the road games... or a set up that throws off the weight balance of the car I just thought an RB would be a stronger more reliable more powerful route to take.

I don't think I have interest in a KA-T because of mileage... I'd have more peace of mind by having finding a lower mileage 240 w a sr20 swap w low miles
Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

if you want a lot of power don't even think about mileage. your going to need to rebuild anyways.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 PM

just curiosity where are you planning on getting this RB26 and RB25 tranny? complete RB25 or turbo up that KA24 seems best, not that the RB26 wudn't be awesome.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
I just want the most drivable and fun solution... Not something that I get on and I am playing, keep it on the road games... or a set up that throws off the weight balance of the car I just thought an RB would be a stronger more reliable more powerful route to take.

I don't think I have interest in a KA-T because of mileage... I'd have more peace of mind by having finding a lower mileage 240 w a sr20 swap w low miles
Your two best solutions since you're looking for a decent amount of power and not tracking it (I dont know why and DO NOT DO ANYTHING STUPID ON THE STREETS!!!!!!!!) Then rebuild a KA with the right internals or rebuild an SR. My recommendation, rebuild the KA and use a proper turbo. Other than that, dont waste your time.

The RB series engines are more for the hard core track drivers and more experienced drivers. I can say the same for the KA-T and SR, but they are more "streetable" as they say.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

just put an LSx in it..call it a day

or 2JZ swap that ****

or KA-T

or SR

there is a ton of things that you could do..i'd just LSx that ****
Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 PM

You want a BPU Supra put the 2J in the 240...spendy..but nice when your done
Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

A BPU MKIV Supra is out of your price range, but you are interested in a RB25 or 26 S14..

A RB26 swap will be the cost of a Turbo MKIV supra. You can get them all day in good shape for 15-20K. There are assloads of them cars in Fl. I know you are in Maine , but you can even throw in the cost of a plane ticket & it still will not come out as expensive as a swapped 240sx.

Here is a 95 turbo in AZ for $19000
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Or a 240sx SR20 swap for $19995
Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Holy ****, that's staight robbery at that price(240).
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

dude..20k for a 240...**** that
Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

I only clicked on the Supra... jus saw the S14... I can build the same **** for LESS!

Umm... wheres Ry with his FAIL stamp?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

LOL..like that huh. Crazy & that is just the SR20. Bad part is people are actually paying these prices. They are getting up there with good condition Supra's.

Here is a 1997 that doesnt even have matching wheels for almost $18000
Old 03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

man with those prices my car is worth like 11,000..**** yes

hahahaha

Quick Reply: What would an RB25 or RB26 S14 be like?