General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Whats your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Whats your opinion?

Hey guys, I know I usually have a lot of questions but what do you guys think is better to have on your car..

High end brands like:
HKS
APEXI
GREDDY
AEM
K&N

Or

other brand names and stuff like the sponsers on this website that aren't like hardcorely known throughout the world. Like alot of people know them but not as well as those other names and stuff. Like not so much is it BETTER for your car. like does it matter? Like don't they all act the same? I mean Like i always thought you paid for the name...Am I correct or what?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:05 AM

I think it really depends on what part specifically you're buying, and what you plan on doing with the car.

I mean, the way I look at it...if you're just daily driving it...then OEM if often more than good enough. Most 240SX's last upwards of 200,000KM on the OEM parts.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

depending on the part and intended use sometimes you can even justify buying a no name product sold on ebay. don't misconstrue what i'm getting at though, i said sometimes. oem is always better than the no name brands and sometimes better than the "performance" brands you mentioned also. or so it seems to me.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
depending on the part and intended use sometimes you can even justify buying a no name product sold on ebay. don't misconstrue what i'm getting at though, i said sometimes. oem is always better than the no name brands and sometimes better than the "performance" brands you mentioned also. or so it seems to me.
So knock off exhausts, intakes, and what not are fine? or what.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

i got knock off non essential stuff like exhaust downpipe etc but when it comes to things that make your engine run i only buy from companies that have a good reputation for their products like my injectors, cams, rocker arm stoppers and manifold are from Tomei and my Turbo is from Garrett.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
i got knock off non essential stuff like exhaust downpipe etc but when it comes to things that make your engine run i only buy from companies that have a good reputation for their products like my injectors, cams, rocker arm stoppers and manifold are from Tomei and my Turbo is from Garrett.
So exhausts and whatnot are fine. thanks for the info battosaii.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nickmerrone
So knock off exhausts, intakes, and what not are fine? or what.
i'd say so.

there are certain things you should inspect but for the most part you'll be fine. with exhaust related parts the materials are about the same across the board imo. the welds are the main thing to consider when it comes to these parts. secondly is the gaskets provided, all of the knock of exhausts i've seen came with terrible exhaust gaskets.

with intakes there is a difference between the sizes of the tubing and bends. honestly unless you're looking for huge hp numbers this shouldn't be an issue the real problem is the filler. i recommend k&n filters because they are the best mix of quality and price imo. what i don't recommend is to re-oil the filters. simply cleaning them with compressed air from time to time is fine.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
i'd say so.

there are certain things you should inspect but for the most part you'll be fine. with exhaust related parts the materials are about the same across the board imo. the welds are the main thing to consider when it comes to these parts. secondly is the gaskets provided, all of the knock of exhausts i've seen came with terrible exhaust gaskets.

with intakes there is a difference between the sizes of the tubing and bends. honestly unless you're looking for huge hp numbers this shouldn't be an issue the real problem is the filler. i recommend k&n filters because they are the best mix of quality and price imo. what i don't recommend is to re-oil the filters. simply cleaning them with compressed air from time to time is fine.
Yeah i have a K&N on my quad. and i blow it out every other ride.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:57 PM

The only thing you might have an issue with with the knock off exhaust parts is fitment. I had a friend who purchased an E-Bay special downpipe and it didn't line up properly...that being said he still managed to make it work and it's lasted him ever since...so ya just something to consider.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

i got megan turbo elbo downpipe and cat canceler (cost the same as ebay so why not) and i had a megan catback but i didnt like the way it sounded so i put my old ebay catback on and it sounds alot nicer
Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tram Common
The only thing you might have an issue with with the knock off exhaust parts is fitment. I had a friend who purchased an E-Bay special downpipe and it didn't line up properly...that being said he still managed to make it work and it's lasted him ever since...so ya just something to consider.
from what i've heard fitment is can be a problem with more expensive parts also.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

The issue with parts also is... they are test fitted and fabbed on perfect cars undamanged cars.... If anything is bent and or misaligned on your car, the part will not line up.

my theory on parts.. buy what you need to do what you got to do.

if you race buy racing parts that will stand up to abuse. if you want to show..... well buy whatever is shiny... If you just want to go to parking meets lots and brag about xyz part and how much it cost, do so*.

that golf ball is in your court.

*while you are doing that, your girl will sit in your car and give the mean mug to all of the guys becuase she wants to go to the mall and or go home and watch American Idol/Sex n the City

Results may vary

Last edited by Biggamehit; 02-01-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
The issue with parts also is... they are test fitted and fabbed on perfect cars undamanged cars.... If anything is bent and or misaligned on your car, the part will not line up.

my theory on parts.. buy what you need to do what you got to do.

if you race buy racing parts that will stand up to abuse. if you want to show..... well buy whatever is shiny... If you just want to go to parking meets lots and brag about xyz part and how much it cost, do so*.

that golf ball is in your court.

*while you are doing that, your girl will sit in your car and give the mean mug to all of the guys becuase she wants to go to the mall and or go home and watch American Idol/Sex n the City

Results may vary
Didnt get that last part. hahaha. Most girls don't like cars. but my brother has this girl over right now and shes got a 240. and im so excited hahaha i wanna marry her. hahahaha. shes got an s13, and 2 s14s. and like im in love. hahaha.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

hahah... save that talk for the single driver thread in Off topic lol.... have a girl who is into cars is not as great as you think lol.. you will learn with time bro.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
hahah... save that talk for the single driver thread in Off topic lol.... have a girl who is into cars is not as great as you think lol.. you will learn with time bro.
hahah alright yeah. well its hard when your 15. aha