General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:00 AM

where to start?

i recently bought myself a 1991 240sx coupe for $2600, and dont know where to start, i have about $4500 to work with and want some input. im wondering if i should replace some stuff in the engine or something , because its got quite a bit of miles(179,000), and i want to keep it running good for a while or should i just start putting after market performance parts on? any input will be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:37 AM

See if your engine is okay. If not, might want to consider a swap or rebuild.

If its kool, go with suspension, lsd, tires and brakes. That's all you need.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:29 AM

$4500 is enough to get you a complete performance rebuild for the KA. With higher Compression pistons, and forged rods
your engine will be able to rev higher than stock OEM...
A $4500 performance rebuild can get the KA over 225 Crank HP, street legal......

Or get a cheap suspension KYB AGX with tein springs "that is what I have $480", pretty kick *** for the cost. Magnum crossdrilled rotors front and rear for $90........

If your compression test is fine I would do free mods first....
Ripp out the secondary butterflys in the intake manifold 6 HP gain "Only for the 91-mid93 KA24de's". EGR block off 2 HP gain........ Coolant bypass, is to shut water off to the TB 1 HP gain, "helps ATOMIZE fuel better". Shift your power band advance your timing 3 to 4 degress "counter clock wise" use platinum or Iridium spark plugs and 91 octane "only" for this MOD, 6HP and reduces lowend torque.

You probably have a "rattling clanging" sound coming from the head with 170,000 miles, that means that all the timing chain assembly and the timing chain need to get changed out...... Very common problem on all KA24de's from 91-98......

Go to a junk yard and pick up a second exhaust cam. Put that inplace of your intake cam for the 91-mid93 KA24de's. Move the exhaust cam four cam gear teeth counterclock wise add another 8 donkey's to your KA.

With all that extra money if you dont get the performance rebuild, get a reprogrammed ecu, or an APEXI SAFC, or an SMT6......
Larger injectors from an sr20det, 300z fuel pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator, 300z maf, aluminum flywheel.......

Last edited by BigVinnie; 06-01-2005 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:03 AM

BigVinnie with all the cheap mods you've mentioned. About how many WHP can you expect to gain?

I'm still looking for a decent 240 now, but like many here they all seem to have over 100k miles on it.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:50 AM

Well with all the mods, I have with everything mentioned. My engine is possibly pulling between 180 and 190 RWHP, I am using an apexi SAFC, aluminum flywheel and stage 2 clutch 6 puck sprung, ASP pulley, also using a different cam spec settup than the one I mentioned in the earlier post, and all the free mods........ I havent dynoed yet and don't plan to for a while....
I didn't mention in the other post mods I also have the high flow CAT, and the Pacesetter CAT back exhaust that I am using also.
I only have 110,000 on my 91 KA, compression is still excellent.
For my electrical I am using bosch platinum 2's, Autolite wires, stock coil.
using 10w-40 oil, and and 91 octane.
My advancement from btdc is advanced 4 degress over, total at distributor is 24btdc from the factory preset of 20btdc.
Waiting till I get over 150,000 miles, so I will purchase the www.NIZZX.com, 11.1 CR forged internals, wiseco pistons, and the eagle forged rods, titanium crank bearings, and the CA18det titanium retainers and springs from jun racing.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:36 AM

Dammm BigVinnie that setup is sweet!!!! Are you working at a shop now? If so you gotta let me know. As soon as I get my 240 I'm gonna set it up proper. I'm over in Daly City now, but will probably move toward the east bay.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

4500 is a LOT of money...its generally cheaper to make power by droppin in a SR...and thatll be about iono...2000-2200...i would get some suspension stuff...megan racing coilovers...thats a total of about 3200...u have about a G now...and now some random stuff to stiffen up the chassis...and get some rims and tires?...thats what i would do...
Old 06-01-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by kimura
Dammm BigVinnie that setup is sweet!!!! Are you working at a shop now? If so you gotta let me know. As soon as I get my 240 I'm gonna set it up proper. I'm over in Daly City now, but will probably move toward the east bay.
My girlfriends uncle "kevin", and "Eric" super ***** let me use the shop on sundays when they are closed.......This is at the valero gas station in the town of Rheem/Moraga
Sure stop on by, hit me up at BigVinnieProduction@hotmail.com...

Super ***** can do an internal build up proper, if you buy the internals your self......... No I'm not racist Eric really likes to be called Super *****....... He can do the build up for a little under $2500, if you supply the parts......
SR swap WHAT? there not even 50state legal...........
NA will get you up the touge faster than it will take for a turbo engine to spool......... I'll stay KA N/A all the way..............
Can't beat the 2.4 displacement..........

Kimura that last statement wasn't for you.......
Anyways I got my 91 240sx off craigslist for $2700, best purchase I ever made.......

Last edited by BigVinnie; 06-01-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:55 PM

are there different models of the KA's? and if so how do i tell which one i have? and for the N/A, i was accually leaning towards that but what would i have to do? and would that have faster accell. than a turbo? oh and i already bought rims and tires and next im going to do suspension and exhaust then ill move on to the engine. thanks for the input people.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:09 PM

89-90 SOHC KA, TOP FEED INJECTION @270CC 12valve
91-92 DOHC KA, SIDE FEED INJECTION @270CC, compression 9.6:1, secondary butterfly's 16valve
93-94 DOHC KA, SIDE FEED INJECTION @270CC, compression 8.5:1, secondary butterfly's 16valve
95-98 DOHC KA, SIDE FEED INJECTION @270cc, compression 9.6:1, no butterfly's 16valve

All KA's have a 60mm TB, SOHC's have a short runner plenum, DOHC's have a long runner plenum. All KA's use the same transmissions. All KA's are manufactured with the same USDM cast Iron block, made in Mexico....

89-90 OBD 0, 91-94 OBD1, 95-98 OBD2

Last edited by BigVinnie; 06-01-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie

SR swap WHAT? there not even 50state legal...........
I'll stay KA N/A all the way..............
Can't beat the 2.4 displacement..........
Then do VG 50 state legal, right? After B.A.R. inspection, N/A, 3 liters Woo Woo!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 PM

VG is very nice........
MAD torque for a v6!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good swap for drifting and rippin donuts........
Old 06-01-2005, 10:38 PM

yeah i thought about swapping something into it but i think ide rather just build up the one ive got. i thought about rebuilding the motor before i do anything else but i dont know how much that will run me, if any one knows how much it would cost to get a motor rebuild for this? ive already bought rims and tires and im working on finding suspension , then if any one can tell me some prices i might start the engine by rebuilding it.

oh and if someone knows some good websites to check out for suspension let me know.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

VG is still illegal i think...the motor has to be sold in the US in the same car...so since the 240s only came with the KADE and the KAE...those are your only legal options...but..its only illegal if u get caught...im getting a SR anyways...NA KAs are temting tho...legal power...
Old 06-02-2005, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by Ayuaddict
VG is still illegal i think...the motor has to be sold in the US in the same car...so since the 240s only came with the KADE and the KAE...those are your only legal options...but..its only illegal if u get caught...im getting a SR anyways...NA KAs are temting tho...legal power...
All VG "USDM's" all legal to swap into the 240sx......
SR's are illegal because they don't carry the USDM EPA DOT Approval........
My beef with SR swapping is that most people that claim there tuners don't know jack shiat about engine mechanics.......
Claim that sr is an easy swapper, KA doesn't make enough power......
All I can say is that is doo doo.........
If you guys know anything about engine management the KA produces way more power than the SR in N/A and F/I formats.
No replacement for displacement...........
Slap a turbo on KA for under $2500 and you have one sick 4 banger...... 2.0 isn't jack...........

Quick Reply: where to start?