General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Would you.....??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 05:15 PM

Would you.....??

Ok I tried talking to someone about getting a swap for my 240, i said i wanted an RB26DETT. I want it because i like to be different than everyone else with a SR20DET. And if I can't have a Skyline itself then I might as well have something that helps make it a Skyline. Besides i like the extra HP

He retorts with, why bother? Just slap an SR in there and get it over with. Besides in another 4 or 6 years they're going to have Skylines here and the engines won't be worth anything anymore.

I thought to myself...."That makes no sense at all...." How can he say that and want to get an SR20? It's an older engine and not made anymore(S13-S15)....same with the Skyline(R33-R34). I can understand the cost effectiveness of the situation but still, it doesn't make sense as to why he'd say that when it also applies to the Silvia.

Now maybe I misunderstood him...but i doubt it. But from what i've heard from him, am I in the wrong here or what?
Now here's my question to you all...would you, if you wanted to save up the money and willing to, get an SR20 or an RB26?Should I settle for an SR20 or wait for the money to get an RB26?
Old 04-27-2005, 05:23 PM

I'd go with the RB25 instead of the 26
Old 04-27-2005, 05:27 PM

Oh really, why's that?

Sorry to sound noobish, but as you can see from my post count...i am lol. And that's why i'm on this forum...to find help and get advice from people that actually know what they're talking about

*edit* I think i know why, the RB25 is rear wheel, so i won't have to mess with the AWD aspect of the RB26, and it's cheaper lol. I think...

Last edited by Raiten; 04-27-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

well and the rb25 kinda drops in with only changing the crossmember and such... I'm pretty sure you have to fab a bunch of crap for the rb26...it's a lot of work but can be done..You can always build up your ka to be a monster, or even an sr20... is there a specific thing you're building your car for? like autox, drift, drag, ect...?
Old 04-27-2005, 06:48 PM

This subject has been debated and debated and I'm going to give you my two cents. SR20's can make a good amount of power with a rebuild and moderate power stock. As I've looked around most SR20's are making about 350 to 450hp with a rebuild and 250 to 300 with stock internals. Now getting to the RB25 and 26. These are monster engines that can make CRAZY amounts of horsepower with a large wallet. If you put one of these engines in a 240 you will have to do some re-enforcement to you chassis. So just to put one in is going to run you between 10,000 and 15,000 dollars. This is taking into consideration the cost of the engine itself. Now opening up your hood with an RB is just sexy just not in my price range.
Horsepower is ranging from 250-over 1000hp,but with either engine you will have to use the RB25 transmission.

My choice the KA24DET. Yes as of right now I have an engine block in my spare bedroom. My wife is SOOOOOO pissed, but she knew when she married me. It is going through a complete rebuild. I'm hoping to make about 450-550hp depending on the octane I'm using. The options are limitless. The 300zx engine can be used and I've also heard of someone transplanting a LS1 engine.

So go ahead and do some more research and see what the best choice is for you.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:52 PM

Well most likely for show and drag. Drifting really isn't an option where i live....North Dakota if your wondering lol. And if i do, it's not because I know how...it's because i have no traction in 5 feet of snow lol.

Ok so i knew that an RB26 would be harder than an RB25 and SR20. But in comparison which would be easier to swap, SR20 or RB25? Or are they both somewhat the same difficulty?

And as for the HP, i'm not looking for something that'll run 10 sec 1/4 miles or anything. I would be happy with 400-500HP at MOST. So would reinforcing still be necessary?

I've read a little on swapping the RB25s, and from the sounds of it, it should cost more than 6K if i did it myself....Jspecauto sells the engine, 5-speed RWD tranny, ECU and an uncut wiring harness for $2475. Of course i'll need more than just that to run it, but i would hope it doesn cost 8K more....if that's the case i would just have XAT Racing install it for me.

Last edited by Raiten; 04-27-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

you are a noob that needs research. you can swap in a rb26 with rwd,. i didnt read the entire thread because the 2nd post by you was enough

i hope you have more than 8gz+ for a rb26
Old 04-28-2005, 03:05 AM

Ok first off, don't flame someone when you didn't even read what they posted. I never said you couldn't change an RB26 to just RWD. It's just more of a hassle that I don't want to take if i don't have to.

Second, i never said I only needed 8K. I said i hope I won't need that much MORE, after the engine and all extra needed parts for the swap, i said i was hoping i wouldn't need that much if i did it myself. If i do then that's fine.

Third I already said i was a noob and research is something that i will do and always will do. So please unless you have something constructive to add to my question don't post at all.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:08 AM

to be honest with yall 8k can get you a RB26 installed.

Lets see:
$3,500 - RB26DETT <--- yes I can get it for that much...
$1,500 - RB25DET tranny w/ diff.
$1000 - McKinney mounts and shaft
$2000 - install (hell thats a very high figure for that install, but just to be safe)
Old 04-28-2005, 09:49 AM

and can we stop with the noob calling, please?

personally, I am dropping in an rb25det to my 1991 hatch. I do all my car work myself, and it seems like a challenging yet very doable and rewarding install to me. the sr20det is a great engine, but I've grown quite sick of always getting asked 'does your 240 have an sr?'

the rb26dett, so I've heard, has clearance issues in the 240 chassis, with the steering parts. two turbos take up more room. but I've been out of this 'scene' for a while, so maybe thats been resolved?

so I guess is that .1 litre of displacement and extra turbo worth it to you when you can make comparable power with the rb25 for less money? they are both monster engines.

and without name calling, try a search on this and you'll find more info than you could possibly need.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I did do a search for RB26DETT but didn't find much, as far as the RB25, i found lots of info. Jspec Auto Sports has what i'm looking for. They also have a link to Sport Compact Car that shows/details the installation of an RB25. I know it's going to be difficult but i'm willing to take the chance. Besides when it's all done it'll be that much more worth it. So that'll be my research material for now, unless someone has a better site or FAQ of sorts.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:44 PM

RB25DET/RWD 5spd Trans/ECU/Ignitor Chip/MAF/Wiring Harness/Turbo - $2000

SR20 Rear Limited Slip Differential - $250

Motor Adapter Kit - $600 / $1100 w/driveshaft

Oil pump - $280

Water Pump - $180

Custom Downpipe - $220

Sorry for the double post, but would this be about all i need to install the engine and make it run? Or would i need more/something else?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 PM

Why not build up the KA, it would still be a lot more unique....and then when the kids ask if you have a SR20...you can reply "Nope im running a truck motor....and loving it" Just my thoughts though....im starting to dig the performance aspect of the KA.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

sexy isnt it.... that engine is worth 18 grand

me i like my ka and to be unique im stying with it turbo more thwn likly

the rb you want is goin to be a major pain in the *****

if you still want it make sure you research like crazy dont let people tell you what to do
Old 04-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Holy crap....that is awesome.

I've decided to go with the RB25DET. It won't be for a while but i'll get it eventually. I may just work on the body in the mean time. That way i'll have more time to study on what i need to make it run. First thing i wanna get is 180SX Kouki Tails and those Super Made head lights. That way i'll still be different from the other 240s.

Oh and as for lowering it, what type of lowering shocks/coilovers/springs would you recommend to someone on a somewhat tight budget right now? I don't want anything that scrapes the ground...that's just stupid, and i don't want it to bounce like crazy.

I've seen some people with cars so low they create sparks when they hit a bump, or bounce so much you think he's going lose control of the car.

Quick Reply: Would you.....??