tuning fuel to air ratio

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:44 PM

tuning fuel to air ratio

I heard about using a wideband system to take care of this and I saw some on ebay for like $500, I was wondering how these things work and if a local garage can install these parts. Also, how do you tune the fuel going into the car? Is there something I can do to manually turn the fuel going in down? If not, and I took it to a shop to get the wide band system installed could they do it there? Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:57 PM

depends on your setup. the wideband does nothing but MONITORS your air/fuel ratio. it does not adjust it for you.

depending on your application there are a wide array of options. from the inexpensive and vague Apex'I SAFC, all the way to full stand alone systems such as AEM, Haltech, etc.

whats the vehicle, engine application?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:52 AM

It would be a 95 240sx ka-t set up. FMIC,large radiator,injectors,JTW ecu
I think the injectors are like 550cc... I think... anyway... Will running rich damage anything...?

Last edited by honorcode3; 05-10-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

only thing about JWT ecu's are you will lock yourself in.. now it is still possible to add and piggy back to the ecu to alter things if you happen to upgrade things... but i dont know how that would effect timing maps etc.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:25 AM

i made a nice reply regarding that and it didnt pop up...

slap an SAFC on it and dont go nuts.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

yeaup def stay within your means.. thats why my setup did so well.. i wasnt eager to raise the boost after the first week lol...
Old 05-10-2007, 12:43 PM

It is a T3/T4 set up so if I just keep the boost below like 10psi and put the SAFC on there I should fine? Should I also get a wide band system installed? Also, can a garage do all of this installing and how much do you think it would run me? And what do you mean by don't go nuts, like I shouldn't drive it very hard? And the timing maps... I don't know anything about this stuff. Do I need to take care of timing maps or anything else if I get those parts installed? Also, will running rich hurt the engine? And are any specific brands suggested over other? I'm just trying to do this right. Thanks so much everyone.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

going nuts means. don't feel good about your car at 10psi and get an MBC and throw it up to 20 psi. people do it bro.

rule of thumb is the more things that you have to monitor your motor the better it will be.. wideband is highly recommended. and really it depends on how high you want to go... if you want to save money you can just get some dyno pulls and have it tuned if you think you are not going to add any other parts for a while etc... i don't have wideband yet.. but its coming... i was only running 8psi and i street tuned my car.. no misfire knocking etc. ran awesome. understanding how an safc really works will help you out when you initially start piggy back tuning. it may seem like a lil simple box but it can do wonders when you understand it.

im going to go with NGK's wideband. yes running rich over a long period of time will hurt. anything that is not close to with-in somewhat stock specs of the motor will hurt..
Old 05-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Alright, sounds good, now I just need to find a good, respectable tuning shop in Houston that can do dyno's and tune well. Thanks guys, your the best.