cylinders wont move up fully

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:28 AM

cylinders wont move up fully

well i started to work on my ka(de). head was pulled while vehicle wasnt on tdc. so the pistons are about all level midway thru the cylinders. as im turning the crank to align the cylinders in order to achieve TDC there is tension and it wont allow me to turn them all the way. should i remove the crank belt and see if the tension dissapates ? (thats where it seems to be coming from). i know i shouldt have turned the crank without the head in place, but i already have the head (i.e. valves and cams aligned at TDC...dont ask how lol). So yea to sum all of this rambling up: should i remove the crank belt and then turn by hand or is there something else i should try? thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

you lost me at "cylinders wont move up".

but any ways if i understand correctly you have the head on the block but your trying to get all the pistons to tdc?

read this
http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...&highlight=tdc
Old 05-09-2007, 08:13 AM

the head is NOT on the block. im looking over the block now trying to turn the crank in order to raise piston 1 to the top. but whenever i turn the crank, the piston will raise and then the crank will turn the opposite position thus lowering the cylinder. thats what i mean bu they wont raise.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

I'd check the N/A forum about the engine in general. This may be the wrong section. Also, check the factory service manual, they have them available here.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:41 PM

if the head is off and you cant turn it, its bc youve let the chain drop and its binding up. grab the chain and hold it. let is spin in your hand while turning the crank
Old 05-09-2007, 05:42 PM

ok ill try holding the chain up while turning it. if that doesnt work ill flip thru the fsm again thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:51 PM

the FSM wont tell you anything about this.

if, when youre holding the chain, the crank turns over fine, but the pistons dont return, or it binds real bad and wont turn over fully, chances are you either have a severely bent rod (crank turns, piston wont come up), or a seized bearing (crank wont turn)
Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Burukan
the head is NOT on the block. im looking over the block now trying to turn the crank in order to raise piston 1 to the top. but whenever i turn the crank, the piston will raise and then the crank will turn the opposite position thus lowering the cylinder. thats what i mean bu they wont raise.
ok sorry i misread

but i believe you have your answer vvv
Originally Posted by Durdan
if the head is off and you cant turn it, its bc youve let the chain drop and its binding up. grab the chain and hold it. let is spin in your hand while turning the crank

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 05-09-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 AM

ive been pulling the chain up, it moves to the left raising cylinder 2 and 3 fine. however when i turn to the right, cylinders 1 and 4 will raise up but as soon as i let go of the wrench it goes back even while holding the chain. ill try some more but any other ideas?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 AM

you should always turn your motor clockwise. and not all four cylinders come up at the same time.. i hope you know that. the outer two come up, then the inner two.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

yeaup

Old 05-10-2007, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Burukan
ive been pulling the chain up, it moves to the left raising cylinder 2 and 3 fine. however when i turn to the right, cylinders 1 and 4 will raise up but as soon as i let go of the wrench it goes back even while holding the chain. ill try some more but any other ideas?

i know that...im trying to raise 1 and 4 thats the reason for my dilemma. im trying to put it in TDC but it wont turn and stay. it will turn and then tension builds and it goes back. idk what to try anymore.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

how hard are u pushing/pulling. the will be a lil tension anyway.....
Old 05-10-2007, 01:47 PM

there wont be any tension with no head on it. im thinking either something is binding up that youre missing, or something is bent. take the oil pan off and look inside. see whats going on. plus, with the motor upside down, you wont have to hold the chain.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

hmm i didn't see that part

Quick Reply: cylinders wont move up fully