How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

240sx White Bunny Clutch setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

240sx White Bunny Clutch setup

Yup well after more research i went with this setup, i would explain, but ill just show the facts from another buddies setup. I have had a mixture of different clutches over the years ranging from oem to ACT Xtream. i just like to try new things. my current setup with lighten flywheel is failing becuase of Weak Diaphragm.
---
(taken from 240sxforums 240sxAddict/creator from fresh alloy member)

The "White Bunny Special" was first created and explained on FreshAlloy by member #18, s14turbose, the "white bunny" being his 98 S14 turbo SE. KA24's come stock with a 225mm clutch surface area, but using parts from other nissans allows you to run a 240mm clutch, which by logic gives you more tractable area for the clutch to grab onto thus reducing the chance of slippage.

We used the flywheel of a 1993 D21 Pickup(4 cylinder model), which is the standard flywheel to use because it carries the same crank bolt pattern as our cranks but is a 240mm flywheel. I believe any year will work, 87 being a common year people use but to play it safe use the 93 because I just installed one and it fit fine. There is also talk of lightened 240mm flywheels, but I have yet to see any that arent custom made.

Now the pressure plate and clutch disc are varied. We used the stock setup of the afor-mentioned 93 D21, but common clutches used are off the 280Z Turbo, the 300ZX Turbo, and the RB series clutches. You can use both aftermarket and stock as long as it is 240mm. But one rumor surrounding this special is the truck and 280Z clutch can hold ***** of torque, some saying near 400ft/lbs and they still retain stock pedal feel and longer life than aftermarket clutches. I'm still searching for the answer, but I read it went on Mike Lee's T66 KAT, and it had no problems holding 500rwhp.

One very important point is that the 240mm clutch uses 9bolts to hold the pressure plate onto the flwheel, while your stock uses 6. Be sure to pick some up before you attempt this. Also, you'll have to break the small pin on the crank off to bolt up the flywheel, as it has no slot for it.

and of course here are the comparision pictures:

this is both setups(225mm and 240mm) set beside each other

example of size difference

other clutches that can be used
280zx 79-83 2+2/turbo
300zx 83-89 non turbo
300zx 83-86 turbo
300zx 90-96 non turbo

Update:installation pictures

---------------
Tools Needed
---------------
27mm or 28mm socket (optional)
17mm socket
14mm socket and wrench
12mm socket or wrench
10mm socket and wrench
Torque wrench
Pry bar
3 more standard Nissan Flywheel bolts ( can be had at any Nissan dealership )
Medium size breaker bar (1/2 and 3/8 drive)
1/2 and 3/8 extension (6 inches)
2x flat-head screw driver
Nice size floor jack
4 x jacks stand (the bigger the better)
Light (if working in dark)
Hammer
Funnel
2x block of work (to press out bearing)
Pilot bearing puller
Alignment tool (provided in kit)
impact gun (optional)
A friend
Some muscles

----------------
Fluids needed
----------------
2 bottles of 75-90 gl4 gear oil (or of your choice)
4x cans of brake or carb cleaner (optional)

White Bunny Test video LINK

after about 2 cans of brake cleaner still had 2more to go

as a result of not running my dust cover this happen. i thought it would help with cooling, but was I wrong..................yup

more size difference pics

tools used to remove old worn pilot bearing for act bearing
part name: (1) Pilot bushing puller (2) Slidehammer
( can be rented from your local auto zone or advanced auto parts)

putting new setup on

the little bulge that you see at the bottom of the dust cover is what the flywheel will grind down. when the noise has stopped, you will be able to insert your bolts at the bottom of the bell housing. after that, more noise will sound for about 1 minute. after that your all go.

( total price $215 dollars)

Last edited by Biggamehit; 04-07-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

^^ Damn you spam bot

Updated with install
Old 02-19-2007, 08:39 PM

Nice
Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 AM

So is this all new stuff? I need to change my clutch soon and this seems like a great option so i dont have to do it again once i start modding. The total cost was really only 215?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

yes sir 215 in total.

i already had gear oil and i own all my own tools. the Nissan dude gave me the three bolts for free that i needed becuase i was in Uniform and he was feeling patriotic lol. i got 400 more miles to go and then its dyno time.

it feels good do far

flywheel= 71 dollars
clutch kit= 134 dollars
act pilot bushing and TO bearing=10 bucks or so with bulk order discount.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

+1 for Biggamehit coming thru with some good info and rad pics as usuall!!
Old 03-04-2007, 12:33 AM

Ah i want this now!!! Why did i go and buy a normal clutch! Now I'm gonna have to wait till i burn out mine so i can try this setup out.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

i just got back from Philly today. clutch is completely broken in and feels awesome holds it all. i had an issue with my wastegate line and i spiked up to 15psi and the clutch took it all. i was not happy about the spike at all, but it didn't slip once. that is awesome.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

pretty cool, i might give this set up a try when the clutch starts slippin. So how is this setup compared to aftermarket clutch performance wise?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like this setup is a keeper, sweetness
Old 03-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

well since i have been boosted i have had an

xtd 1st stage

act xtream 4 puck unsprung

and now this

only thing i notice is, there is less drive train shock when in stop in go traffic. this clutch holds better than anything i have had.

honestly unless you go to twin 225mm disc setup, you will slip so this to me is an "poor mans" answer to that. also with drift comps etc, the life of an single 225 clutch will be pushed harder.

also the pedal feels stock, my pedal is a lil more stiffer because i removed the damper, so it just right not to hard not to soft.
i can only comment on clutches that i have used. i have not used competition clutch etc so i don't know how they would have done compared to my current setup. All i know is im not slipping and its awesome bro's

Last edited by Biggamehit; 03-04-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

i think youve convinced me to try it, when ever my clutch is done ill give it a try, im a poor man also............for now, haha
Old 03-04-2007, 10:57 PM

Hey i have a question, did you feel any loss in acceleration, or throttle response? This set-up has to be heavier, since its bigger and all, so i was just wondering if you felt any effect or not.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

nope my throttle response is the same. and boost negates the weight becuase you got alot of grip now lol. the weight added was about 40 lbs or so i would say... yea its alot, but like i said the boost takes care of that. my engine revs just as good as it did with the lighten flywheel.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:18 PM

i have this whole clutch system for sale, i wanted to install it but got lazy and went ACT anyone wants it pm me. Shipping etc is all on the buyer but its good to go accepting paypal comes with clutch, clutch tool flywheel etc.

Quick Reply: 240sx White Bunny Clutch setup