How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Removal/Welding/Installing Differential

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

i see you used the helmet i recommended. but why are the weld so much shinyer, did you wire brush them?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
i see you used the helmet i recommended. but why are the weld so much shinyer, did you wire brush them?
The helmet is awesome it was a great recommendation.
Well for one it's the temper from running the bead longer.
Secondly I stopped to break off the slag with a grinder as I continued tacking, it just has less carbon/slag build up thats all.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
The helmet is awesome it was a great recommendation.
Well for one it's the temper from running the bead longer.
Secondly I stopped to break off the slag with a grinder as I continued tacking, it just has less carbon/slag build up thats all.
i see. that's one of the problems i had when i first started arc welding, the results were too gritty and i always had to grind and wire brush. thanks.
btw i told you you'd like that welder.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM

As you can see though our welding techniques are completely different from each other.
Yeah, we didn't follow the directions exactly, but I trusted Vince with his own welding technique. I think it came out very well.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tedzy
Yeah, we didn't follow the directions exactly, but I trusted Vince with his own welding technique. I think it came out very well.
My only opinion about not welding to the housing is that it reduces the amount of oil that flows through out the spider gears to the bearings. I think it would deprive the bearings of recieving oil, making it much more viscous and easier to snap the welds (through friction and heat). Although that could just be my mumbo jumbo theory, because plenty of people have welded the way Donald does with no problems at all. I've been told that Luke @ SDP drifted an entire event with no fluid in his welded diff, I just try to engineer things for longevity. Especialy since a couple of these welds are my $50 hook up.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Well I welded my friends diff a couple weeks ago, couldn't afford the ink and paper to print this whole right up so I printed one pic and went off that lmao. I went old school and used a stick welder on it, ya know, just had to get that hardcore penetration. We didn't take no pics unfortunatley but it turned out really good. Was using a 220V Stick welder at the auto hobby shop on base, only cost us 3 bucks for unlimited sticks, so we burned through about 6 million of them. I just welded the four corners up really high then layed down about 5 beads to the carrier on each of the four corners. Didn't weld it all the way across the spyders, only welded it in the corners so the oil could still flow really well through it so it won't get to hot. It's been in for about a month now and it's working reallllly good. I didnt dremel after every weld like Vinnie did, but I chiseled and wire brushed. I like stick welding the best, hard to learn at first but once you get used to it, it's the bomb. My welding teacher in school kept tellin us "I can teach a F**king monkey to MIG weld, so I want you all to become pro at stick welding"(He was a old welding **** and liked to curse at us alot) Basically in 2 years of welding class I used a MIG welder one time. I hated it at the time, thought he was wasting out time once I saw how easy MIG was, but now that I know how to use i'm pretty happy at his **** methods. lol Stick FTW

BTW, Vinnie after welding on the ground that long wasn't you back killing you? Lol i don't think i could handle welding one of these bad boys on the ground.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Recon2006

BTW, Vinnie after welding on the ground that long wasn't you back killing you? Lol i don't think i could handle welding one of these bad boys on the ground.
My back and my knees were killing me. I didn't want to do it on the wooden table because it could of caught on fire. There was old flammables like brake fluid and other chemicals ingrained into the wood, so I didn't want to burn the house down.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 PM

I didn't want to burn the house down.
Good lookin' out, Vince. Fire to the house would have been Bad News Bears, Lol. $50 welds and you didn't burn down the house. Genious!

The diff feels great! I've never ridden or driven in a car with a weldy before, but it's just what I expected it to be. The WARNING of DANGER coming from various people on the internet regarding the weldy (mind you, it has been dry out the past couple days) seems way over-hyped. If you drive with common sense, the diff will want you in the pants. Now, I'm no expert, but it seems that the woes attatched to daily driving the weldy is a common misconception. It will just take a few days of getting used to. My SOHC is still... just an SOHC, the weldy doesn't add magic donkeys (as much as you'd like it to, sorry), so it's no traction-breaking monster on PMS modification, it's just a fully locked rear... which will want you in the pants...

The forcast on the news says, "Rain this weekend" in the Bay Area. My forcast says, "Slide, big pimpin'."
Old 10-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tedzy

The diff feels great! I've never ridden or driven in a car with a weldy before, but it's just what I expected it to be. The WARNING of DANGER coming from various people on the internet regarding the weldy (mind you, it has been dry out the past couple days) seems way over-hyped. If you drive with common sense, the diff will want you in the pants. Now, I'm no expert, but it seems that the woes attatched to daily driving the weldy is a common misconception. It will just take a few days of getting used to. My SOHC is still... just an SOHC, the weldy doesn't add magic donkeys (as much as you'd like it to, sorry), so it's no traction-breaking monster on PMS modification, it's just a fully locked rear... which will want you in the pants...
The diff is in ehh I thought it was going to be next week. Hope you like it. BTW weldy's increase launch time not HP due to added grip and less slip. People that convert there drive train from open to LSD usually gain .30 seconds in the 1/4 mile on AVG.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:47 AM

i need to get on this, this website is a goldmine filled with diy things, thatnks bigamehit.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Thank you for the write up!!!!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

wow a lot of info since the last time i been in this thread lol.. good stuff Vinnie... yea its doing well... it was a rush job.. had an event like the day after.. about my housing, i actually did leave a small gap for oil to flow through... i would recommend removing the diff from the pumpkin like Vinnie did or else you will probably over heat the bearings like i did and have to beat on the diff to free it like every 5 min while welding.....
Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 PM

The S14 has only 2 bolts in the back. They are both 19mm.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Looks like a pretty solid how-to for a locker.

I'm thinking about doing a similar kind of thing, except drop shims into my lsd instead to kind of "renew" it, get it stiff. Don't want a locker cos I spend a lot of time just driving on the roads.