SR T25 eliminate or use coolant line?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 09:41 PM

SR T25 eliminate or use coolant line?

Im gonna boost my ka24de and ive been wondering about the coolant line on the turbo. I have a Sr20 Redtop T25 BTW.

Ive read alot at ka-t.org but some people swear by eliminating the coolant line because it supposably makes the ka run hotter making it overheat.

I talked to BigVinnie a few days ago about this and he told me that i have to run the coolant line or my turbo will go to $h!t.

What did you KA-T guys do? If you used the coolant line how & where did you connect it?
Old 05-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

with my T3 i never ran the coolant lines.. it was fine.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

I dunno I kinda think the T25 would get ****ed up considering it kinda needs the Coolant to cool it but if guys are running it w/o the line, its worth giving it a shot....worst that can happen is you rebuild it or get another T25
Old 05-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Club240 Staff

you should always run coolant lines to a coolant cooled turbo. Oil cooled turbos are built a little differently. I have seen people removed the coolant lines, but it affects to durability and longevity of the turbo. Just get a better radiator if you are concerned
Old 05-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

I was wonderng about this too. Does anybody have a picture of where they hooked their lines up?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

many people run their the Throttle body coolant lines.. that is becuse many of us by pass those lines. or you can simple get the inserts that go inbetween the radiator hose and it has nozzles on there where you attach the lines.. you can then use the stock banjo bolts and lines and with a lil cutting and some clamps you will be golden.. i didnt run my lines becuase this was an temp setup...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
you should always run coolant lines to a coolant cooled turbo. Oil cooled turbos are built a little differently. I have seen people removed the coolant lines, but it affects to durability and longevity of the turbo. Just get a better radiator if you are concerned
Thank you for clarifying Charles.... It affects the reliability of the turbo. Even if you ran the turbo at 7PSI it could affect the turbo to break down early (without the coolant lines). The turbo also runs much more efficient when it is at cooler temperatures, exhaust temperature is always hotter than coolant temp, it's also bad for the oil that circulates through out the whole engine without the coolant lines, (it will degrade faster). Sometimes you don't need a better radiator, some just go with an altima electric fan swap which was more than sufficient for the cooling needs that needed to be required and is proven to have a higher CFM output than my flex a lite 220fans.
Big is right though you can either splice through the coolant lines to the TB or not use the TB lines for TB bypass and route them to the turbo.
James if you need any help setting up your turbo I can find some time in the next 2 weeks if you plan to do the install. I might be able to find an N60 MAF and SAFC for a pretty cheap price as well, your on your own getting the injectors though.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 05-23-2007 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 AM

So far i have the sr 370cc injectors, sr side mount intercooler, T25 ka bottom mount manifold, Sr T25, Sr turbo elbow.

I know where there is a N60 maf in hayward, im gonna go pick it up on my next day off.

As for the SAFC, I had one but Anthony needed it back since hes droping in the sr.

Thanks for the offer Vinnie but I doubt I will do the install in the next two weeks. Im in the process of moving and I also need to replace my clutch since its slipping.

I will let you know when i plan on installing.

Last edited by Projekt_s13; 05-23-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Projekt_s13
As for the SAFC, I had one but Anthony needed it back since hes droping in the sr.

Thanks for the offer Vinnie but I doubt I will do the install in the next two weeks. Im in the process of moving and I also need to replace my clutch since its slipping.
If you ever get started on the weekends let me know I can find weekend time too.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
If you ever get started on the weekends let me know I can find weekend time too.

Ok will do.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

you need to run coolant lines on any turbo that has water jets, most small turbos always need cooling. It's really easy to run them on a ka, you just tap into the "U" shaped coolant line under the throttle body, use some 5/16th" coolant line and basically extend that "U" all the way through the turbo and back. It will be easy to figure out once you look under your throttle body.

the two thicker lines labeled 5/16
Old 05-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by silviaks2nr
you need to run coolant lines on any turbo that has water jets, most small turbos always need cooling. It's really easy to run them on a ka, you just tap into the "U" shaped coolant line under the throttle body, use some 5/16th" coolant line and basically extend that "U" all the way through the turbo and back. It will be easy to figure out once you look under your throttle body.

the two thicker lines labeled 5/16
DAMN!!! Even included the pic!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

don't forget the mobil 1 oil filter either dirty oil is a no-no on a ka-t
Old 05-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

THANK YOU spence. So are you saying theres a stock line that goes like this
Name:  TurboCoolant.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  34.5 KB
How convenient.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ryguy
THANK YOU spence. So are you saying theres a stock line that goes like this

How convenient.
exactly

Quick Reply: SR T25 eliminate or use coolant line?