Turbo question....

Old 08-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Turbo question....

so i went to the local u-pull today and found on a 1983 Mercedes turbo diesel AIResearch T3 turbo.... I'm thinking that my be my first step in my KA-T build.... hell it was only 60 bucks.... reading the thread https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/ka-t-78/dont-post-untill-you-read-ka-t-basics-42711/
by biggamehit, it's the size turbo i want to go with, for the 275-325hp range, cause i really don't want to go into my internals.... the question is, does anyone know the specs, if it will fit, and is it worth it... i know it'll prob have to have a rebuild, thats fine, relatively cheap, but is it overall worth it.... i spun the turbine, no scraping, no shaft play, all seems well.... hell it only had 110k miles on it.... well lemme know, especially you biggame, you seem to know the most about this kinda stuff, thanks guys!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't use a used turbo personally but if you rebuild it that would be okay. But really you could get a better turbo that's already rebuilt/re manufactured for a pretty good price and probably can make your hp goal more efficiently. My advice is to spend the big bucks on the good stuff (turbo, mani, wastegate, bov )
Old 08-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

also... AIResearch is the precurser to Garrett, so i figured it wont be that bad....

would it be cost effective to buy that T3, rebuild it professionally, or just to buy a remanufactured one? .. lemme know!!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

I bought my turbo re manufactured from garrett for under $200... so there are deals to be had you just need to know what to look for. Is there any particular reason you are set on a t3? You should take into consideration what manifold you will be putting it on too. I can't tell you how many people run into clearance issues because of the wrong turbo/mani combination.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

the only reason i'm "set" on a T3 is because in biggamehits thread "Don't Post Until you Read KA-T Basic's" it states that for a 275-325hp set up you'll need a T3 or a T4 turbo.... so i guess thats why, i really know next to nothing about forced induction so what i read is golden to me at this point... if there's something better for what my goals are please let me know...

my basic goals are a RELIABLE daily driven, pump gas 250-300whp (preferably around 300HP with around 275WHP) KADE S14 with stock internals....... nothing more and maybe a little less...
Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't create that... those are ball park figures

every setup will vary bro.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

i kinda figured those were ball park figures, but they make sense.... i was just wondering mostly if that turbo could make the power i wanted, and if it was even worth it, providing it was rebuilt... i was using that write up as a guideline/outline, not as a definitive plan on what exactly i'm going to use....
Old 08-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

google turbo families bro.. it will put things in perspective there are hundreds of turbo combination.

T3 T4 T2 are just the families
Old 08-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

gotcha, i thought they were "stages" per say.... like one has higher output as you go up.... like i said, total noob at this.... but hopefully i can figure something out... learn as i go along, but hell, $60 for a turbo i don't think is bad, i know a guy in town who rebuilds em at his shop... could probably get all done and paid for, including turbo for around $150.....
Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

yeaup you are correct sir

with-in each family.. you have lower to higher end turbos

rule of thumb.

bigger takes longer to spool.. higher Hp output

smaller spools fast... lower Hp output

may i ask what you plan on doing with the car.... like a form of motorsports etc
Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

yeah sure, my plans are to eventually autoX it, maybe some road racing... i know these are perfect drift cars and drifting is the new rage, but i was hooked on autoX road race ever since gran tourismo 1 since i was a kid, like 13... nothing better than seeing med to highly modified street cars, racing. i want a turbo that will spool up relatively quick, but have a decent amount of horsepower output.... like i said earlier, i want to stay around 300hp... nothing crazy like a 1200hp RB26DETT, would be nice but i have no real need for that.... it's a daily driver, and part time track car..... with potential to be a full time track car.... i had earlier plans to get into the SCCA.....
Old 08-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

yea bro.. i do auto-x and drifting.. the compliment each other

if you plan to do auto-x heavily.. a smaller turbo would be better.. quicker spooling to get you out of the corners.

im running a holset h1c which is close to a GT30r. fully spooled at 3200 rpms.

a gt30r would be good for an ka-t decent spooling and you can make good hp.. i do well with 204 whp bro.. auto-x is not about power.

now if you wanna break into road racing, you will need a higher end turbo for those straight away's
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

yea im in the same boat as you i also love auto-x and road racing (which i havnt done yet) i had a KA which i blew the motor at an auto-x event then i went to an SR.

now in my new chassis i will have my SR with many supportingmods with a new Garret gt2871r not sure if holset makes and equivalent but this turbo is good for auto-x and road racing
Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

they have an HX25,, i have not seen compressor maps for it though
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

wow, you're talking gibberish to me ha ha, but hell i wanna learn... what better to learn from but from guys who know what they're talking about!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo question....