NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

240 n/a project

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 02:17 AM

240 n/a project

hey guys i have been thinking about this for a very long time... i am 17 years old and the PROUD owner of a 1991 Nissan 240sx. As many people face are far as tuning i was in the middle as of what to do motor wise... the whole basic concept of this project is to allow me to own a car i can use to drift in. i have heard that a n/a car is naturally better at turn in's but lag at the end of a curve... and that turbos are fast at the exit... well anyway i have decided i wanna go n/a with my car and i would really think i would only need like 200-230 hp to drift efficently in i have been looking at project 13's threads and also big vinnies thos guys are very smart and i would like to talk with them if they would let me about my project. also me being new to the import scene what parts should i add to the car first? exp.. header , intake ? ect... i am realtivly new to the engine wise aspect of c ars so i dont know much sorry.... but i am going to uti in the summer of 05 and i will learn. i also have my friend helping me with this project. Any advise is welcomed thank you for your time

-Ken-
Old 12-27-2004, 04:15 AM

start with a intake- i reccomend K&N, reasonable price, works great, not hard to find. Then ill prolly do a custom exhaust system , 2.5 inch piping is good enough an N/A motor , followed by a n1 apex muffler - thats just me, if you got the cash for a complete cat back , then go for it. I also reccomend hotshot headers good luck
Old 12-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

DC just came out with a new header, so gives those a try. DC is known to make good stuff.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:00 PM

ok here is a question i would like to ask.... my car has a blow head gasket ( and the car has been sitting like this for 6 months the lady never had fixed who i got he car from ) anyway the oil and the water have just been sitting there in that mixture. but anyway i have been noticing that nissan has put this motor in other cars and trucks.. like the altima... i know its fwd and i dont know about the xttera... but i know they both use the same type motor as in my car the KA24DE now here i sthe q would they work the same as the 240sx motor that i have in my car now? what would be the diff? and i know the altima is fwd but would that make a diff? any comment would be helpful i would like to know this b4 i start the project.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:50 PM

If your tryin to get a KA from a altima to swap into your car it wont work. Dunno why exactly but i know it wont. Be easier to jus fix yours or get a new KA.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:51 PM

The Altima will probably have a different block to support the FWD.

Any of the Nissan pickups with KA's will probably have a slightly different tune on their ECU but I'm not sure what it would be or if you could use your 240 ecu on the truck motor. I don't really see why you couldn't though.

If you want a new motor though it shouldn't be to hard to find a 240 in a salvage yard. Another option is to look at the for sale sections of different forums. You never know what you'll find (unless you hit refresh =P) and the SR guys never seem to know what to do with their old motors.

It just never occurs to them to put it back in =).

Edit: In your first post you mentioned NA cars and Turbo cars having differant charicterics while cornering, specifically drifting, where did you find this information? I never really thought it would matter myself.

Last edited by veriest1; 12-27-2004 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:14 AM

the site i found the bits of info on is no longer on the net.. but this is my opion here... with a n/a car you control the car basically with the acceleration and it allows you to do more aggressive turn ins .. but a turbo lags after the boost... but once past the corner if driven correctly you engine should be about ready to boost... and if so it makes it faster in the exit of the corners... basically n/a cars are better for begining of curves where a turbo is better for exit but thats what i think anyway...

also if anyone knows if i could use a diff ka series motot in my car that would be great i am looking on the web as we speak but i am getting no luck... thanks guys..
Old 12-28-2004, 04:06 PM

By different series do you mean a KA24E? You could with a few changes to power steering lines, ecu, and gauge cluster. Just read the information on going E=>DE and reverse it. I doubt it would really be worth
it.

I've seen rebuild kits going for around $250. You might look into that... maybe drop in some E pistons into your DE for higher compression =).
Old 12-29-2004, 12:23 AM

nah i called nissand and neither motot would work.. i think i am going to have to just look for a ka or rebuild mine thanks tho and i wouldnt go to sohc lol no way
Old 12-30-2004, 06:43 AM

Red face

Originally posted by Kens_s13
nah i called nissand and neither motot would work.. i think i am going to have to just look for a ka or rebuild mine thanks tho and i wouldnt go to sohc lol no way
I think Im lost but what other 2 engines where u talking about?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:17 PM

well there is a ka in a like 96 altima and there is a ka motor in a 01 xtrrea i belive.. i thought maybe there would have been a way to put it in my car and maybe chnage the ecu
Old 01-01-2005, 12:15 PM

Exclamation

I dont see any reasons why the Xterra engine can get dropped on ur car,there might be a few differences like emissions ,one might be OBD1 the other OBD 2 but other than that it should just be a drop on I think .
Old 01-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

from what i have read dunno where tho the exterra block is shaped different... the bell housing wont match up and since we cant change them they dont work... as far as a rebuild goes... shoot for that i just rebuilt my ka24e and spent 500 bucks new pistons,,, rings,,, bearings,,, timing chain set,,, gasket set,,, and machine work... this is an easy motor to rebuild... least i think so... and a blown head gasket aint all that big of a deal... but since you gotta pull the head to fix it might as well refresh everything...
the least you need to do is new rod and main bearings... the glycol in the anti freeze tends to eat up bearings when they sit in the goo for a prolonged amount of time... rebuild it or get one from a salvage yard and run the risk of having to rebuild it as well...
Old 01-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by wikd240
from what i have read dunno where tho the exterra block is shaped different... the bell housing wont match up and since we cant change them they dont work... as far as a rebuild goes... shoot for that i just rebuilt my ka24e and spent 500 bucks new pistons,,, rings,,, bearings,,, timing chain set,,, gasket set,,, and machine work... this is an easy motor to rebuild... least i think so... and a blown head gasket aint all that big of a deal... but since you gotta pull the head to fix it might as well refresh everything...
the least you need to do is new rod and main bearings... the glycol in the anti freeze tends to eat up bearings when they sit in the goo for a prolonged amount of time... rebuild it or get one from a salvage yard and run the risk of having to rebuild it as well...
As far as I know bell housings on car are interchangeable ,and if it was the case it was not this applications just sell ur 240 tranny and use the Xterra one them...everything is possilble.We just gotta do alittle more reasearch
Old 01-01-2005, 11:36 PM

well i have been trying to find some stuff on it but all i get its pictures and crap... and as far as i know all it has is a blown head gasket... and thats all the guy told me.. but something had to make the car run hot in the first place so thats another thing. i will only know the full amount of the dmg once i take the head off.. and dude i wih i could do it for 500 lol nappa kills ya around here lol for the timing chain kit is like ... $459.00. then ya got ya other list of stuf... engine rebuilt kit is 249.00 , new oil pump ... 93.00 , water pump 40.00 , and then ya anti freeze and stuff but i did wanna go back with proformance stuff.... going to cost out the a$$ , and i have been looking for a ka but no one has one... and people say they see em all the time lol i wish i would.

Quick Reply: 240 n/a project