NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

96 to a 95 motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:55 AM

96 to a 95 motor swap

ok.. so i blew up my KA in my 95 240 .. so i have been looking for another motor.. and i just recently found one.. but i need to know.. it's from a 96 240.. i have a 95... now i know my 95 is OBD1... but i'm not sure.. was 96 the first year for OBD2? and if so, can i just do a straight motor swap or am i going to run into problems?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:02 PM

I'm gonna have to say SEARCH. OBD production dates have been discussed numerous times. I won't make the answer easy this time!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Re: 96 to a 95 motor swap

Originally posted by im4streetracing
ok.. so i blew up my KA in my 95 240 .. so i have been looking for another motor.. and i just recently found one.. but i need to know.. it's from a 96 240.. i have a 95... now i know my 95 is OBD1... but i'm not sure.. was 96 the first year for OBD2? and if so, can i just do a straight motor swap or am i going to run into problems?
late 95 was the begining of OBD2.
and to answer your swap question,
all you have to do is take the intake mani off of your 95 and swap it with the 96 intake mani, this way you dont have to change wire harness everything will wire up perfect. I just finished installing a 96 ka
in my 91 and i had no problems after swaping mani's
Old 11-26-2005, 05:29 PM

Re: Re: 96 to a 95 motor swap

Originally posted by dkdeleon
late 95 was the begining of OBD2.
and to answer your swap question,
all you have to do is take the intake mani off of your 95 and swap it with the 96 intake mani, this way you dont have to change wire harness everything will wire up perfect. I just finished installing a 96 ka
in my 91 and i had no problems after swaping mani's
Ok...... installing the 96KA24de in the 91 and using the 91 ecu causes problems. The smaller cam lobe and duration of the 96 to the fuel mapping of the 91 ecu will raise HC levels, I can gaurantee you won't pass smog. Your engine will also run 8HP less than that of the 91KA. Really you need the right cams, then if you use the 240/248 stock oem cams on the 96engine, with the 91 ecu, your engine will be 6CHP abovestock oem, due to the fact that you shouldn't be using the (SCV). Really you guy's need to study engine management, it makes alot of information Null and Void, also it is misguided and only partly truth full.

Sercondly it is the lower half of the mani that needs to get changed due to the TPS wired for either OBD1 or 2.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-26-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: 96 to a 95 motor swap

Originally posted by BigVinnie
Ok...... installing the 96KA24de in the 91 and using the 91 ecu causes problems. The smaller cam lobe and duration of the 96 to the fuel mapping of the 91 ecu will raise HC levels, I can gaurantee you won't pass smog. Your engine will also run 8HP less than that of the 91KA. Really you need the right cams, then if you use the 240/248 stock oem cams on the 96engine, with the 91 ecu, your engine will be 6CHP abovestock oem, due to the fact that you shouldn't be using the (SCV). Really you guy's need to study engine management, it makes alot of information Null and Void, also it is misguided and only partly truth full.

Sercondly it is the lower half of the mani that needs to get changed due to the TPS wired for either OBD1 or 2.
ok.. this is im4streetracing under my other sn.. long story.. but so anyways... you say that i need to study engine management.. don't get me wrong.. i will admit i don't know a lot about this stuff. But I DO want to learn.. i'm not just looking for an easy way out.. If you would be willing to give me a link as to where i can learn about this stuff, I would DEFINATELY put it to good use.. But i just recently got my 240.. i odn't know much about them. And the fact the my daily driver (240) is out of commission and i work about 40 miles from where I live and I have no real means of transportation, i AM looking for the easy way out... the help so far has been great. But if you would please direct me to where I can learn as much as possible i would GREATLY appreciate it.. I want to learn as much as possible.. I WANT to be one of the people to be able to look at posts of other people's problems and be able to help them out like you guys are.. So thanks for the feedback guys..
Old 11-26-2005, 06:20 PM

In all honesty if you have an OBD1 ecu, you should keep the engine to OBD1, that way if you live in a smog state you will pass testing. The 91-93KA24de's had much more aggressive cam specs than your 95. If by chance your car was manufactured in late 94 you have an OBD1, the your 95 was manufactured in 95 you will have an OBD2. If the car happens to be OBD2 keep it simple and get a mid 95 through 98 KA engine. That way you avoid any complications with smog emissions.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

I forgot to say that i also switch cams and TPS sorry my bad.
but thanx for reminding and correcting me.

Last edited by dkdeleon; 11-26-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:04 PM

It's all gravy, no hatin', just educatin'....lol
Old 11-26-2005, 10:50 PM

In all honesty if you have an OBD1 ecu, you should keep the engine to OBD1, that way if you live in a smog state you will pass testing. The 91-93KA24de's had much more aggressive cam specs than your 95. If by chance your car was manufactured in late 94 you have an OBD1, the your 95 was manufactured in 95 you will have an OBD2. If the car happens to be OBD2 keep it simple and get a mid 95 through 98 KA engine. That way you avoid any complications with smog emissions.
Ok.. so what your sayin is that b/c my car is a 95, i could be either OBD1 or OBD2 depending on when it was made. I got that part.. will check the production date tomorrow.. So pretty much if my car is OBD1, then switch the manifold and tps setup off of my origional motor. And if it happens to be OBD2, then the 96 motor i am getting will definately be OBD2 and will hook up just like it's supposed to. but i have another question then.. I have a set of 91-93 cams already.. and i was thinking about putting them in my origional motor b/c of the differences in the duration. Would it still be a good idea to do that no matter what? Also, where did you find out about all this stuff.. I was serious before.. i don't mind doing my homework on this stuff. I REALLY am interisted in learning as much as I can about my car.. By The Way, thanks guys for your feedback again.. I don't mean to bug you guys so much, but the help is MUCH appreciated. keep it coming if you would.. Also, do you know of any especially weak link to the 240's (EX: motor mounts, etc) that you would reccomend I go ahead and upgrade when i pull the motor out? Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:45 AM

UUUHHHH your trying to make this more complex than it is.....
OBD1 production car get an OBD1 engine.
OBD2 production car get an OBD2 engine.
It's just easier that way, and you don't need to swap the TPS or anything over.
If you want the 91-93 cam install and if you have OBD2 then I would just get a 91-93 engine and install a whole 95-98mani,(which actually if you havent noticed it would probably be easier to leave a complete 95-98 intake manifold intacked and use that, for the removal of the butterfly's, and the OBD2 TB/TPS.

UH this is making me tired.....
Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 AM

ok.. thanks big vinnie.. i really appreciate the help a lot.. And i will do my best to figure things out on my own and not bug you guys too mcuh.. thanks for having a little pity on a noob.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

That is wrong!!!! If you use the 96 lower half of the mani it will not work because the vacuum lines are routed diffrent and there are more sensors and an extra purge line so all you need is the TB from the 96 mani so everything will line up.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 96 to a 95 motor swap

That is wrong!!!! If you use the 96 lower half of the mani it will not work because the vacuum lines are routed diffrent and there are more sensors and an extra purge line so all you need is the TB from the 96 mani so everything will line up.
You missed what I wrote the lower half needs to get changed out, I never said that it stayed, where is the confusion at?????

Last edited by BigVinnie; 11-27-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

in my head i guess???? LOL
Old 11-28-2005, 12:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 96 to a 95 motor swap

ok.. so what you are sayin is that if i do decide to do the 96 KA swap, then i would just swap the lower half off of my 95 manifold over to my 96 KA.. and that i keep the TB from the 96 KA? simply.. take the 96 KA, keep the TB and swapthe bottom intake/tps w/ the 95 KA? is that right? if i'm wrong, i apoligize, b/c this is all starting to get a little confusing.

Last edited by nickgen3; 11-28-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 to a 95 motor swap