NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

bad radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:09 PM

bad radiator?

when i got home today my car was running at normal temp. when i turned it off i looked under the hood to make sure everything was fine(becuase i just replaced my upper radiator hose cuz it was leaking). then i heard the water in my radiator start to boil and about a couple seconds later all the water went shooting into the overflow. so at this point im lyk...wtf? the upper hose wasn't hard like it should be when the car overheats, and the bottom one wasn't either. i was reading the faq about the common overheating stuff and i felt the hoses(the top was hot to the touch, the bottom was just warm, if anything). i bled the cooling system up a hill when i changed the upper hose. the waterpump wasn't leaking anywhere and there was no oil in my coolant. the fans work fine. sound lyk a bad radiator?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Might also be a air leak in your system. Either from the hose going to the overflow tank, cap or upper or lower hose.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:54 AM

im gonna try bleed the system again and if it doesnt work im gonna just get a koyo =P
Old 10-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by toycar49
im gonna try bleed the system again and if it doesnt work im gonna just get a koyo =P
Good idea lol
Old 10-26-2004, 12:24 PM

yup its the radiator. i ran my car today and the coolant in the radiator was NOT flowing at all. wat also worried me was a super LIGHT film of something floating above the coolant. i dont think it was oil though cuz oil shines under light right? well anyway its always had that crap in there and it never caused any problems before(until the radiator broke). koyo time! =P
Old 12-16-2004, 01:28 AM

sounds like my problem except mine is leaking from the top left side of the radiator. after i replaced both lower and upper hoses, it still did it and then i found the leak. i used super radiator sealer to buy me some time til i found another radiator but it lasted one trip to work and then opened up again.

now im lookin at a couple radiators. the one in my car has 2 rows and was there when i bought the car. should i go to a Koyo single row radiator or get the double row? the double one costs, well double the price but i dont know if i really want to go back to a single row radiator. also, what is better? plastic or all aluminum?