NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

car cuttin out on me, spark/fuel??!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 08:42 AM

car cuttin out on me, spark/fuel??!

ok, this just started yesterday on '91 LE on my way home from school. the car will randomly cut out on me for like half a second, and do it a couple of times, unless i take my foot off the gas. it sorta feels like if your in first gear and tap the gas back and forth, that bucking motion. it seemed to do it more violently when the motor was cold. but it happens at random, 3 times in one day. i havent looked at it yet, but i think something with spark/fuel/misfire. plugs, wires, cap and rotor are less than 10k old (NGK iridium's). 151k on motor. thanks in advance

Sean
Old 02-12-2006, 02:00 PM

i would venture to say timing maybe? your guess is as good as mine
Old 02-12-2006, 02:31 PM

maybe you need a new fuel filter?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:43 PM

i just put in a Z32 fuel filter not too long ago...... timing could be a possibility
Old 02-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

could be fuel pump
Old 02-13-2006, 05:18 PM

i thought about my fuel pump, but i dont think it would cut in and out that quickly and randomly like that, it would be a gradual power loss. im leaning more towards spark on it now. thanks for the comments though
Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 PM

acuually u might wanna check your fuel filter again, because if you have a bunch of build up in your gas tank then your new fuel filter isnt really doin much, just undo the bottom hose and see how the gas goin thru it is lookin
Old 02-17-2006, 10:23 AM

sorry, double posted

Last edited by S13ean; 02-17-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by gubermyster
acuually u might wanna check your fuel filter again, because if you have a bunch of build up in your gas tank then your new fuel filter isnt really doin much, just undo the bottom hose and see how the gas goin thru it is lookin
checked the fuel filter outlet line, appears to be nice and clear. checked the distributor for and oil seepin through; none. plugs and wires are BRAND new(bosch platinum +4/duralast). cap and rotor are 10k old. i can still hear the fuel pump when i turn the key on. appears to be no holes in the intake piping before/after my MAF sensor. im stumped! only other thing i can think of are defective/intermittant fuel pump/MAF, or clogged cat. anyone else have other solutions?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

check your egr valve and aiiv
Old 02-19-2006, 08:11 AM

don't forget to check your fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. you could be losing fuel pressure due to a cracked diaphram in it. That will cause raw fuel to go into motor. Will run like crap. Worth a check. Could be cat, but not likely. A clogged cat would kill all but idle driveabiltiy. MAF generally only gives problems at just off of idle and sometimes highway speeds of 60 or greater. At least that is how mine performed on me. YOu can always clean the MAF with some brake cleaner, brake cleaner not carb cleaner.
It probably isn't your egr or aiiv. The egr is supposed to be sending exhaust gases through when you are not at idle. and the aiiv doesn't really matter to the driveability of the vehicle, it is only there to send extra air into exhaust stream to help the cat burn it all easier.

What you need to focus on is the W's. When, Where, What speed, What time( i.e. car is hot or cold), what throttle position. Sit down and really think about everything that has to do with the driving conditions inside and outside the vehicle when it does it. Was is sunny outside or raining. Humidity can have an effect on suff. That is how others can help you troubleshoot. We can throw stuff out all day long and have you check the entire damn car, but if you give others better info, then it makes the troubleshooting effort go alot easier. Don't worry, I am not directing this at anyone in specific. that should be common practice for everyone when diagnosing a problem.

Jason
Old 02-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

have you washed your motor reacently? if so the problem is you have water in the sparkplug holes.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:28 AM

the motors been washed before, but not in awhile, so theres no water in there. i barely made it home from school today, the car was buckin and cuttin out like crazy. when i was on the highway and sometimes when i would give it some gas, nothin would happen. it would just slowly deccelerate, as if it were in neutral. and if im at idle and rev it up say to like 4k, it would only rev to 3, and bounce up and down, almost like iacv, but it feels like a restriction somewhere. i have to give it very light gas off the line cuz if i give it any more than half throttle, the motor will cut out, unless i let off and get back on the gas. i rely on this car for school and work, and if i cant solve it soon, im about to say **** it and take it to a shop or the dealership, cuz i rely on it too much.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:20 AM
Contributing Member

its you fuel pump.
when it starts cutting out again pull over and unscrew your gas cap, then screw it back on and see if it runs better.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by dkdeleon
its you fuel pump.
when it starts cutting out again pull over and unscrew your gas cap, then screw it back on and see if it runs better.
tried that, still runs ****ty as hell

Quick Reply: car cuttin out on me, spark/fuel??!