NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

a case of a bad injector?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 PM

a case of a bad injector?

hi all, first of all heres is what i have done to the car. it ran very fine before but this just happened today.

i dont have much done except for a 98 engine. obd1 ecu with the obd1 intake manifold and distrabuter. i have all emissions removed except for a vac like for fpr, brake, and pcv.

it ran very very well until today. well, i notice something was wrong when i started it, it sounded like a helicopter. like, it was missing a fire. so while the car was running, i start to unplug the spark plug wires. when i unplug the first one, nothing, i unplug the second one and the car hesatates and almost stalls. so i plug it back in to prevent it from stalling. same thing happened for 3 and 4. so i go in and turn the car off. i check the spark plugs and all of them were at the be point that they need to change, they showed normal wear. they were light brown. so i go to the store and i buy new plugs, i got some ngks iridium IX. so i go home and change them and the same thing happens. so i check for spark. i did it by disconnecting the spark plug wire at the distributer and seeing the sparks. its probably not the best way, so i do it quickly. along with seeing the spark you can kinda hear it as well. so i do it for less then a second. well all of them have spark. so i check all the fuses and all the fuses are ok. so i check the injectors one by one. the first one, nothing happens, for 2,3,4, the car almost dies. so this leads me to the assumption that the injector is bad, i dont have a fluke meter at the moment to check if the wiring to the injector is bad but i traced it for as long as i can and there are no brakes. so i try one more thing, i put in my manual ecu. (right now im using an automatic one.) but its the same thing.

so is it my injector, my injector wiring, or something else. and i already changed the distributer cap and rotor about 2 months ago. the car ran great for about a year know so i don't know what it might be. thanks for reading my short story.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

it more then likely the injetor, is the car/motor shaking more than usual too?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 PM

yes it shakes. but not violently.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

in my s13 when i had a KA i had 2 injectors go bad at once and it felt like a constant earthquake and i had to floor it to even move haha, but im pretty sure its a bad injector, also have you felt a big power lose?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:20 AM

yes there is a massive loss in power. can i put s14 injectors in. cause i still have them when i bought the engine.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

S14 injectors are the same as far as I know, theyre the same CCs.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:43 AM

thank you