NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

changed everything.. rad cap, h2o pump, thermo, and flushd.. still getting hot.. help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 02:53 PM

Exclamation changed everything.. rad cap, h2o pump, thermo, and flushd.. still getting hot.. help

ok .. the other day i was driving and the car overheated.. i got it home later that night and over the last couple days and installed a new water pump.. a new radiator cap .. and a new thermostat..

i just got done flushing the system just as i have on the forums..

i parked the car on a hill.. took off the bleeder screw .. started her up with the heat on full blast.. and started adding water.. i was using water for testing because i was using so much testing it all out.. i added water until it started flowing out the bleeder hole..

not sure if this is right or not.. but water didnt really come out unless i was pouring more into the radiator.. without pouring more water.. it just had little bubbles of water coming out.. as i poured more in .. it was a constant flow of water. i did this for about 15 minutes.. so i figured i got all of the air out of the system..

the car wasnt overheating until i started driving it around for a few minutes around my neighborhood..

i have changed everything.. that i know of .. when i installed my new water pump i also took out the radiator and cleaned it and ran water through it and found no leaks or anything clogged up.. ..

was the procedure for removing the air in the system correct .. i have done this several times.. and get the same result..

i also checked the headgasket with a technique i read on here.. took off the rad cap and started the car .. no water shot out of the cap.. so i'm guessing the gasket is still not "blown"

need some serious help.. as of now. my 240 is my daily driver.. luckily i live less than a mile from my work..

thanks for any advice...

p.s. this is a 92 240sx se
Old 08-19-2005, 05:18 PM

i installed a new water pump on my 91 240sx and for some reason it would over heat with the new one no matter i tried. i ended up puting the old one back on and the over heating stoped. try it
Old 08-19-2005, 10:27 PM

... I wish iHad something more useful to say than just "an old water pump can`t be any better than a new one. it`s just a water pump" but iDon`t.

you could do a compression test to double check that your headgasket is perfectly sealing. Rememeber to hold the car at WOT as you crank it. If you get a significantly lower reading at any cylinder (esp. if it`s two) you may have the slightest of imperfections with your headgasket.

I suppose it could be related to your fan, like the clutch being worn out or something. Park your car somewhere where you can check to make sure there aren`t any tiny coolant leaks in your hoses or radiator, and you could have your radiator "boiled over" or buy an aftermarket one, esp. if you had planned on buying one (or needing one, i.e. KA-T) in the future anyway.

I just don`t know enough to be of any substantial help.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:35 PM

your fan is working right?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:45 PM

fan clutch? gasket? that's all i can say.. mine heats up, extremely, but the temp. guage says it's just a LIL above normal.. so i dunno....
Old 08-20-2005, 12:22 AM

yes my fan is running as it should be... i used silicone gasket sealer on all the new parts..

if it ends up being my head gasket ill just end up putting a new engine in.. which ill probably do anyway.. just need to get by on this one for a while..

if anyone has anything else to add .. please do ..
Old 08-20-2005, 03:33 AM

When do you overheat. By that I mean when idling, sitting at a light or while driving.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:05 AM

well i let it run for about 15 minutes while i was flushing coolant through and it didnt over heat until i started driving it.. my top radiator hose gets extremely hot so im guessing my pump is working fin

on my short drive back and forth from work yesterday it didnt overheat at all.. so ill give it a try today
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Good chance you had an air pocket around the water pump. Try and observe if the temp. fluctuates while driving.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:55 PM

man i have the exact same problem on mine. I have checked everything, first thinking it was the thermostat, but i chucked it into a boiling pot of water and it worked fine. I don't know what to do now. I am in school and i can't drive my car ..... let me know if you find the solution.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:53 AM

i havent driven the car much further than work the last 2 days and it hasnt overheated at all.. so tommorrow im gonna take it out for a solid spin and see if it heats up. .maybe i got all the air out finally.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:04 PM

same exact thing is happening with my car. i double and triple checked everything. even replaced all the listed things mentioned above. my mechanic says its the head gasket.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Contributing Member

Yea i had the exact same problems and i wasnt getting white smoke or nething like that...it was my headgasket...sorry to say but thats prolly it..
Old 08-25-2005, 12:27 AM

yap still overheating.. going with headgasket theory now..

already shopping for new motor
Old 09-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

have you checked the heater core???
why are u shoping 4 new motor just change the head gasket if that is the real
problem.

Quick Reply: changed everything.. rad cap, h2o pump, thermo, and flushd.. still getting hot.. help