NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

cleaning the mafs

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 01:44 PM

cleaning the mafs

just making sure, i did a search and it didnt exactly say how to clean the mafs, from what i guessed you just get some carb cleaner to clean it but which part do you clean? that honeycomb looking peice is what i was guessing, so do I just spray it down a little with some carb cleaner or what? just making sure before I go mess something up. thanks for your help.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Take it off the car, spray it til it drips clear... use a toothbrush if there's gunk, and be careful about the MAF wiring part.

That's pretty basic version of how to do it. If anyone wants to go "in-depth" or correct me, be my guest
Old 02-08-2004, 09:11 PM

i would just use electronic parts cleaner from radioshack
Old 02-09-2004, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by whizbang18T
i would just use electronic parts cleaner from radioshack
...good idea there. How much does a can of that stuff run?
Old 02-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Compressed air baby! Thats how I did mine.

Dr.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:07 PM

well to my surprise mine werent even dirty! but i cleaned it up neways and i discovered yet another leek in the top injector seals after replacing the bottom ones hopein that would solve it but here we go again more parts to order woohoo!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

lol, i'm sorry, but look on the bright side, you have new seals, and you know they will be good now!

Dr.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:42 PM

lol yea hopefully this will conclude the saga cause im getting sick of it!
Old 02-14-2004, 07:48 AM

say guys i am still lost on the matter.. i have the air box off and the mafs harness disconnected. am i suppost to remove the two screws that hold the plug to the casing, or where is the honey comb thing that you guys had mentioned please help me....
Old 02-15-2004, 02:21 PM

well mine didnt have that honeycomb lookin peice either but there;s like this metal sleeve before the airbox just undo the clips and the intake piping and take out the whole upper half of the air box then look inside the metal sleeve and theres a little slit in the middle and a whole with the mafs in it and that is the mafs im not sure what that thing with the 2 screws was in the intake box so i didnt mess with it cause mine didnt look dirty but i guess its part of the system too maybe?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:39 PM

Help i m not catching all this info... can someone get me some pics... i wanna clean my MAFs too but not sure what i am really supposed to clean... and i am planning to do it with the computer cleaning duster thingys.... help please
Old 06-14-2004, 06:41 PM

apparently carburetor cleaner is safe to use. If you remove the 2 bolts use caution theres 2 fragile sensor wires in there. if theyre broken its shot. $95 NAPA after core deposit. I took out a broken one hosed it with carb cleaner as practice. havent done the working one yet.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:41 PM

i used to clean stuff with brake cleaner, it evaporates real quickly and seems like the main ingredient is alchol or something similiar.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:55 AM

well what is the affect witha broken one? cause i was being a dumby tryin to use one of those metal adaptor plates on the stock intake piping to put a aftermarket filter on and my car never ran right but it didnt help it none it got a little worse. But if that breaks wouldnt the car not even start? cause i dont know what to do.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:17 AM

if its broken the fuel system will usually run rich. since it has no way to determine exactely how much air is being taken in, it will not vary the amount of fuel delivery to the injectors properly.

as i understand it. theres a hot wire and a thermistor wire. ecu increases voltage to keep the wire hot as increased air flow cools it. the thermistor reacts to the variations in temperature which alters resistance to the voltage applied to it. the voltage variations are read by the ecu which determines the fuel delivery.

i think thats how it goes?

Quick Reply: cleaning the mafs