NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Cold-Air Intake Duct

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

they sure do
Old 06-30-2005, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by BarnDog296
Fouz never came back to say how well that RAM AIR that he built worked... Im really interested in how that went. I was thinking about doing it to mine, but with the box. I already have the K&N Filter in it, just to figure out how to RAM AIR it. Maybe i can build a piece for the bottom of the box, that is wide up top, and goes down to the hose into the ram air.... hmmmm maybe i will build that... you think it would work?
sry.sometimes i go awhile w/o checking the forums.

about the ram air (the way i did it) i would just stick to the 3" inch pipe comeing out by the fog light(in my first and 2nd post i think).i think the 10" X 4" X 4" square-to-round pushs alittle to much air for the stock air box.by that i mean the MAS is to close to the air box and air cirulating in the air box may hit the MAS twice..(dont know for sure, just guessing,could be something else) the reason i think that is sometimes (not alot) at about 4K it will lag for about a half a second(can barely tell it but its there).i could be wrong. the first one worked just as good as far as power and u dont have to worry about water as much..the 10" X4" square-to-round catches alot of air and anything else that gets in the way..i did put a fitting on my air box to see how much presure the 10" X 4" sqaure pushed in the the air box..if i remeber right at about 60 mph i got almost a half of a pound of presure after the filter. may go get exhaust done tomorrow cause i believe more air going in you have to get more air out to see just how well it works..i would like to move the battery and move everything to the passenger side so it will be shorter..this is just a easy and cheap way(and fairly fast) of doing it.moveing the battery and moveing everything over is ofcourse more work..

and about the pics,ill have a camara this weekend.. any Q's just ask,im just a poor guy trying to save a $
Old 07-01-2005, 06:43 AM

Sleepy eyes cant let air get to the box better unless you actually cut a hole behind the headlight. The headlight actually sits in a small steel box of its own, it doesnt have any real way to get air to the engine from what ive looked at one mine, but maybe you could cut a hole in it and instead of running the tube down to fog light, you could cut a hole behind the headlight and run the tubebehind the headlight and into the box. Then when you had sleepy-eyes on, it would cause a ram air effect...

I would love comments on this before I do it, it seems like it would be ALOT of air being pushed in to me...
Old 07-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

the stock mafs can handle over 3 pounds of boost if im not mistaken, and a ram air system like this will likely just make them manifold a little bit more than atmospheric pressure, maybe .5 pounds.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BarnDog296
Sleepy eyes cant let air get to the box better unless you actually cut a hole behind the headlight. The headlight actually sits in a small steel box of its own, it doesnt have any real way to get air to the engine from what ive looked at one mine, but maybe you could cut a hole in it and instead of running the tube down to fog light, you could cut a hole behind the headlight and run the tubebehind the headlight and into the box. Then when you had sleepy-eyes on, it would cause a ram air effect...

I would love comments on this before I do it, it seems like it would be ALOT of air being pushed in to me...
That sounds good.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:26 AM

ok,heres pics of my ghetto ram air and my car(with a f-ed up front bumper)as far as seeing what the rest of the ram air looks like see my later posts for a diagram(didnt feel like takeing if off).i haven't put my fog light back yet and i may not put it back on ever.not sure yet

and my car
Old 07-06-2005, 12:43 PM

Cool, sell me your fogs That is, if they are not aftermarket.

I like the way you set up your box. I have a question though. I was going to set mine up like yours but with a AEM intake (just to blow some cool air in that area. I figure it can't hurt since the header is going in on that side and heat will be pretty bad.... N E way... How did you get your pipe up high enough that the bottom part of the pipe is sitting lower than the opening? I tried to zip tie it to the bottom but I guess something has to go under it for it to be high enough.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:56 PM

How did you get your pipe up high enough that the bottom part of the pipe is sitting lower than the opening? I tried to zip tie it to the bottom but I guess something has to go under it for it to be high enough.
you lost me some where..dont understand what your asking..expliain alittle better plz..ill try to answer you.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

That looks good man. Makes me want to do the eye-lids.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by fouz
you lost me some where..dont understand what your asking..expliain alittle better plz..ill try to answer you.

Ok, that was a little vague. Looking at the first picture.... Looking directly at the foglight opening your pipe is pretty much centered where it faces out toward the front.

When I tried my hook up I no longer have the stock box. I use the pipe to try to channel some more cool air into the space around the air filter cone.

If I sit my pipe flat on the bottom of the now empty area to try to tie it down 1/3 of the pipe is below the lip of the fog light opening and 2/3 is above. I want mine in the center too to make this a little less pointless for me.

Do you have yours hanging from the box or do you have something under your pipe to lift it a little?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

maybe he used something to join it together, like silicone or JB weld
Old 07-06-2005, 08:25 PM

my pipe is screwed and chalked to the air box..where the fog light was if u look real close(not the best light to see it) at the left bottom of the light area you can see where a sqaure-to-round doesn't cover the whole area..it just isnt a pipe in the center.. it a 10"X4" square that turns into a 4" circle..the square was bolted to the car with one of the fog light screws..the only thing that holds the whole thing in one spot is that screw and the screws i put in the 90 to the air box..it was then chalked out and painted.the whole fog light area is the ram air..not just a 3" pipe..just have to look really close to see it(bad lighting).trust me.the way i put that 90 in the air box you would have to beat it out(read a post on page two)

and about the eye lids..with your car being red like mine be ready to put atleast 20 coats on..alittle ghetto tip for you..to make that look better get a new sharpy marker and run it down where the paint and the light might a few times(it will be easy cause the paint is real think with 20+ coats)..makes it stand out more.

my next project(as far as looks) is to take care of that nasty bumper

Last edited by fouz; 07-06-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:30 AM

I'm not here to start a war. But half of the cold air setups I am looking at are lame and seriously in the smallest regards do nothing to change the power band or add HP. You guys arent driving 240MPH lambo's, you are driving 150MPH 240sx's. When I look at a 1.5" or 2" pipe, especially with no scoop coming through the bumper I want to seriously laugh, and say that this person just wasted there money and took zero engineering courses in college. Alot of old school and new school drag racers would tell you that this is not in any way to achieve better HP numbers.
Why this thread has gone on for so long I have no clue.......

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-07-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:21 AM

When I look at a 1.5" or 2" pipe, especially with no scoop coming through the bumper I want to seriously laugh
i would like to think that mine helps..tested the presure and between the filter and TB i got .5 lb at 60 mph.exhaust will make the whole thing work alot better for sure..what air goes in has to come out.anyway im out to go some stuff to my lambo
Old 07-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie
I'm not here to start a war. But half of the cold air setups I am looking at are lame and seriously in the smallest regards do nothing to change the power band or add HP. You guys arent driving 240MPH lambo's, you are driving 150MPH 240sx's. When I look at a 1.5" or 2" pipe, especially with no scoop coming through the bumper I want to seriously laugh, and say that this person just wasted there money and took zero engineering courses in college. Alot of old school and new school drag racers would tell you that this is not in any way to achieve better HP numbers.
Why this thread has gone on for so long I have no clue.......
1.) Cost = Free
2.) Im not running all 155whp with a 10 year old car.
3.) Maybe im gaining some of my lost hp.
4.) They do it Nascar all the time.
5.) I was bored
6.) I just felt like making a list.

Quick Reply: Cold-Air Intake Duct