NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Are cold air intakes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:30 AM

Are cold air intakes worth it?

OK another question, are they worth it? On my old probe it was because it went down to the front of the car to suck in the outside air but in the 240 I do not see a spot where it can go there. So do they still make power even if they are sucking in the hot engine bay air????
Old 06-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

ever thing helps its how much counts as its worth it? lol 1 hp, is that worth it? is sounds good...lol
Old 06-26-2006, 12:53 PM

It does go behind the front bumper, that is what makes it cold air. However, it is not worth it, stick with a short ram, or move your battery to the trunk or to where the airbox is now, and custom make a short ram intake that goes to where the battery is now.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:40 PM

If I were to go with a short ram and relocate the battery and put the intake where the battery was, am I going to need to rewire the MAF to its new location?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

^
no just cut the tape that is on the maf and air temp sensor and run the wire to the other side of the engine, that's where the wire first came from.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 07-11-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

id say itd be worth it if it was on the battery side. extension kinda serves no purpose, becasue the intake pipe goes right past the rad. so the cold air you just sucked in gets hot.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1993Coupe
id say itd be worth it if it was on the battery side. extension kinda serves no purpose, becasue the intake pipe goes right past the rad. so the cold air you just sucked in gets hot.
not exactly, the air passing through the pipe goes in so fast that it won't have time to heat up. so cold air stays cold.

the stock airbox of the 240 draws air from under the car, if you remove the stock box you'd notice a hole and a pipe from underneath. my best bet is to customize an enclosure for your filter and make that hole larger, and draw air from there. i've done it before on a Nissan Pulsar NX. i used a square trash can as the enclosure.

unless you have a way of isolating the air coming from outside the engine bay and going in to your intake, that's the only way you can make a cold-air intake. whereever you relocate the intake, if it draws from inside the engine bay, it's still going to be hot air.

and yes, there is a noticeable difference in power when the air is cold or hot. a couple to a few HP gains depending on how cold the air is outside.

a few HP here and there adds up. for those of us who can't afford a turbo (specially me). i'd say it's worth it.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

it may help some but the little that it does help dosnt justify me hydro-locking my engine when it rains. at my dealer we get RSX all the time with cold air intakes with hydro-locked K20's and i would only recommend this to people i dont like its a pos imo
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 AM

If you hydro lock, it's your own damn fault. You shouldn't be driving through puddles at all, it's bad for pretty much everything on your car. There is a difference between something getting wet from the rain, and something being submerged in water.

Besides, I have never seen a cold air, even a custom one, that doesn't have an "extension" that you can easily remove to make a short ram for the winter.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 AM

That being said. I own a short ram because the difference is about 1hp, and I don't want to shell out another $100 for a CARB legal extension.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:05 AM

wait a minute... when i suggested to draw cold air from underneath the car, i didn't say modify your air filter to go underneath the car, i just said to make the original hole from the stock box larger to draw more air in, the air filter stays where it is. and underneath the car there is i believe a splash guard. and with the enclosure that i described, i don't quite see how water could go into the engine bay unless you submerge it in water 3 feet deep.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

^^
i did that with a dryer hose and there were very noticeable gains with out any problems.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:00 PM

In California it is illegal to modify your stock intake system, so we are restricted to the Injen CAI if we want to pass smog. All of the CAI intakes I have seen have the filter on the outside of the engine compartment. I think what you are describing is more like ram air.

Supposedly it only takes 3 inches of water to cause a hydro-lock problem, but I don't buy that. Its probably more like 6-8 inches before a significant amount of water get through the splash guards.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

it's not the depth of the water that causes damage but the volume of water in the cylinders. some water (a mist) is good under the right conditions.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:01 AM

so does anyone have a diagram for a modified intake in their 240?

Quick Reply: Are cold air intakes worth it?