NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Confused about S13 SOHC ECU code

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:44 AM

Exclamation Confused about S13 SOHC ECU code

As I found here

http://www.**********/faq/articles/ecmcodes.htm

anyways, i following step by step and came up with code 14 for some reason which is Vehicle speed sensor circuit. I dont think it has anything to do with my problem. My problem is that every time i start the car its shakes with low RPMs around 400-500 and then if I floor it, no problems. Also i dont have a problem starting the car when its worm - starts right up (for ex if i go to the store and come back its gonna start right up). The problem occurs only if the car stays overnight or like couple days then i have this rough start issue. So on the ECU once i turned that thing fully on 180 degrees for 2 seconds and back green light came on once and then the red one blinked 4 times (short) which means code 14..... so im totally confused. What Vehicle speed sensor circuit has to do with starting of the car???? Any suggestions please?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

hmm that is weird the VSS has nothing to do with starting. when you start the car again check the voltage across the alternator and see if you are getting at least an constant 13.5 Volts...

also you may want to clean your MAF out with electrical cleaner if you have not already done so. also it would not hurt to clean the electrical connections also with the same spray.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:04 PM

You may want to check your TPS. It sounds as if the placement in degrees to the TB could be off so that you might not be getting a decent ratio.
You may also want to check the IACV as it can cause issues with low idle.
A bad MAF as BIGG said could pose those problems as well.
Check your injectors the O rings could be bad.
The vehicle speed sensor can cause slight issues with running rich on OBD1 engines so you should try to get that fixed.
Just my 2 cent's.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

hmm yea that too lol

forgot about those things
Old 05-30-2007, 05:27 PM

I almost forgot.... It could also be a small vacuum leak i the manifold system.....
Old 05-30-2007, 08:56 PM

i will probably have to write this down:

the timing kit was purchased from Ebay but chain guides are from Nissan and we replaced it like 5k miles ago never had problems about that

also the car has OBX header from ebay also with brand new O2 sensor from nissan

fuel filter, all fluids, have been changed like last summer when i got my second s13

im thinking MAF cuz i started having these kind of problems when i replaced stock air box with autozone filter and the adapter from Ebay

but stuff like thermostat, radiator, plugs, wires (NGK) coolant temp sensor i changed liek couple weeks ago.......... still does it

Ill go ahead and check all one more time tomorrow but the thing is i can check it only once ..... once the car is wormed up it start right up doesnt matter how many times u will turn it off and on... But thanks for help guys!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
You may want to check your TPS. It sounds as if the placement in degrees to the TB could be off so that you might not be getting a decent ratio.
You may also want to check the IACV as it can cause issues with low idle.
A bad MAF as BIGG said could pose those problems as well.
Check your injectors the O rings could be bad.
The vehicle speed sensor can cause slight issues with running rich on OBD1 engines so you should try to get that fixed.
Just my 2 cent's.

Talking about car running rich... i think my car does so. First of all im getting ****ty gas millage like 200 miles on full tank, and when the car is off its smells like gas a bit around the car, but no leaks tho.. i checked that too many times still cant figure out why it smells like that... im thinking that gasket in my trunk or something. Another question... sorry if its a noob questions but how do i check the TPS and even if its off the alignment how can i put it the way it suppose to be? Thanks man
Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 PM

BUT WHEN THE CAR IS WORM, IT STARTS WITH NO PROBLEMS!!!! (sorry im just getting sick of this car already)
Old 05-30-2007, 09:26 PM

Is this an automatic ecu by any chance?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

i had the same problem but never checked for a code. instead i checked fuel pressure and sure enough the pump was weak. this may not be your situation but it might help to know. also everything already mentioned are possible culprits.

it firing right up when it's warm are signs of a bad dist. cap or seal.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
i had the same problem but never checked for a code. instead i checked fuel pressure and sure enough the pump was weak. this may not be your situation but it might help to know. also everything already mentioned are possible culprits.

no no man cap and rotor are changed couple days ago along with plugs, wires and coolant temp sensor

dont know what teh hells going on ...

Originally Posted by deviousKA
Is this an automatic ecu by any chance?
the car is automatic, didnt happen to do the swap yet ...

Last edited by MaximJ; 05-30-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!

So u replaced ur pump and the problem was gone? cuz i was thinking to do a walbro upgrade anyway, but before that i wanna check the pressure too... What did u use to measure the fuel pressure man?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:58 PM

Check your transmission sensors/switches and the connections.

Specifically, the neutral switch.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by deviousKA
Check your transmission sensors/switches and the connections.

Specifically, the neutral switch.

iight, even tho it shifts so smooth when i drive )
Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 PM

i think i found what the problem is... I cleaned all electrical connectors with special spray and nothing! but since i have an intake from autozone, when i was installing it i didnt know what to do with another sensor small little tiny sensor so i drilled a hole like 5 inches away in a plastic tube itself and put it there. Since that i had a weird idle... i dont know what that sensor does but when i disconnect it nothing really happens even if the engine runs... still confused. HELP PLEASE!

Quick Reply: Confused about S13 SOHC ECU code