NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Crankshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Crankshaft Position Sensor

I accidentally ripped out my crankshaft position sensor in my 95 240. Apparently my oxygen sensor has gone bad too. I was wondering if these two issues were related in any way?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

anybody know?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:58 PM

O2 deals with the emissions, the crank sensor removed is another way of saying your FUC$ED. The crank sensor tells the ECU when to use it's ignition to the degree of the crank.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie
O2 deals with the emissions, the crank sensor removed is another way of saying your FUC$ED. The crank sensor tells the ECU when to use it's ignition to the degree of the crank.
Wait, can you elaborate on this a bit more? The Crankshaft Position Sensor I'm talking about is located on the transmission housing facing the gear teeth of the flywheel. The FSM says it detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution and sends a voltage signal to the ECM. The FSM also says that the sensor is not directly used to control the engine system, it's only used for the on-board diagnosis of misfire. I've been driving around without the sensor for at least 6 months now and the only problems I've had were with the O2 sensor going bad and some idling problems. I was just wondering if the absence of the crank sensor could be the cause of my idling problems... btw this is a '95 zenki stock Ka.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Contributing Member

is it called a crank angle sensor in the fsm... i was under the impression that the cas was in the distributor... and that is why vinnie was saying you are f|_|cked... i would say try replacing the o2 sensor... i know they aint cheap but... go from there if the sensor you ripped out has nothing to do with engine control start at the problem that does... there is also a troubleshooting section of your fsm... read that section and follow the steps it tells you to follow...
Old 07-15-2005, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by CowboyTurbo
Wait, can you elaborate on this a bit more? The Crankshaft Position Sensor I'm talking about is located on the transmission housing facing the gear teeth of the flywheel. The FSM says it detects the fluctuation of the engine revolution and sends a voltage signal to the ECM. The FSM also says that the sensor is not directly used to control the engine system, it's only used for the on-board diagnosis of misfire. I've been driving around without the sensor for at least 6 months now and the only problems I've had were with the O2 sensor going bad and some idling problems. I was just wondering if the absence of the crank sensor could be the cause of my idling problems... btw this is a '95 zenki stock Ka.
I'm not shure if we are talking about the same thing then.
But if you are having problems with ignition it is possible that it could be O2 "not shure", although the TTP is shifted a bit and has the engine runnin rich. The O2 only reads the level of your NOX emissions. It is one of the sensors that determines on how much fuel to dump before ignition.
Well the idle problem, does it happen in open and closed loops?
If it does it could just be the O2. Your probably just dumping more fuel at idle than needed. O2 sensors are pretty cheap at about $45 to $65.

What is the code that the ECU throws out for the Crank sensor and O2, I have the ACTRON code scanner book I can probably find where your misfire is coming from if not the O2.......
If misfire is happening after you have corrected your sensor problem, you could just have bad plugs that are running hot.
Or you could be associating knock and ping, with your misfire which means your not using the recomended 91 octane.

These are common problems that can't just be seen corrected from stating a problem in the forums, I can't visually see, I'm only here to help as much as possible. Most mechanics fix a problem by listening to the engine and reading ECU codes, which I don't have either on hand to help you with.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-15-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

hmm... thanx for the info guys, ill post updates when I get the time to figure out some more of what's going on.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:33 AM

Same problem

Hey Cowboy, keep us posted for real! Cuz, I having the same problem with the Crank Position Sensor. Aparently the previous owner did something with the flywheel.

Good Luck
Old 07-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

lol, I just started working full time and I'm broke at the moment, ur gonna have to wait as long as I do for more news on this... but I WILL resurrect the thread soon as I figure out wuts goin on
Old 07-18-2005, 09:54 PM

werd, I am broke as hell too man! But if I so happen to find anything about it before you ill let ya know.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:54 AM

will this cause the car not to start?? I have a 95 auto car that just sits there and cranks but wont fire and I am wondering if this could be the culprit.

Nick
Old 07-20-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by nschultz0124
will this cause the car not to start?? I have a 95 auto car that just sits there and cranks but wont fire and I am wondering if this could be the culprit.

Nick
Dunno? You should read your ecu codes, could just be a bad coil, but like I said I dunno.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by nschultz0124

Nick
no... at least not the problem that I was referring to anyway.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:39 PM

YO Cowboy what code was the ecu reading, was it 11?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:19 AM

No Vinnie I think the code should be #82

82 - Crankshaft Position Sensor

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Position Sensor