NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Custom Exhaust

I went the cheepo route and got my exhaust with a glass pack. Sounds ricey, ahhh Thats what i get for being cheep . Think a resonator will work? Whick muffler do you guys recomend. I want it to be semi quiet and deep.

P.S. If you want a soundclip PM me. unless you know a site with free video hosting.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

a resonator will make it sound even more like a chainsaw on steroids... i am planning on using 2 of the n1 mufflers and building a custom dual exhaust on my car... should be deep and pretty quiet as long as i have the scilencer in...
Old 04-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Could the tip make any difference? If it does ill take it off. PM me your e-mail so I could show you how it sounds.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:36 AM

i want to do a dual exhuast but i cant figure out how with the gas tank taking up the right side of the car. i have a dnx on my 240sx and its queit and has a low tone, its newer, but that was before i took the cat, and all that other crap of the exshuast. now its louder but still nowhere near the (honda fart pipes) taking all the restrictions of the car makes a differance. even if you leave the cat on. you can feel it. so that has to be at least 5hp.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

email is stain13@hotmail.com it takes some creative bending of the pipes but it can be done... not to mention if you use a 3 inch collector from the header to where the 2 pipes split then run 2.25 inch pipe it will fit... muffler placement is kind of close to the side of the rear bumber but it will go...
Old 04-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Im just running 2 and a quarter from the catback. I didn't leave the stock piping. The second muffler in the middle in between the cat and the rear muffler (I guess is the resonator) was making a terrible noise so I took it off.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

that is the tip makin it sound like a fart pipe... search online for tne n1 mufflers... i would still suggest a cat back system... not to talk ****... it sounds like a lot of the hondas and neons around here...
Old 04-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

^^^I know Pissis me off. Dont worry wikd240 talk S*** my exhaust deserves it Ill chop the tip off and wait until I get my engine rebult then get HKS Hi-power or Greddy SP which you reccomend
Old 04-18-2005, 02:45 AM
Contributing Member

i cant tell you which one to use as i have not used either one... i am doing a custom dual exhaust because that is my style... i like dual pipes sitting under the rear bumper... iwould suggest that you look up the specs on each exhaust you are thinking about buying... find the one that works the best for you... some of the exhaust systems will actually drop power in the lower rpm ranges to gain some in the upper rpm range... look at all the information and buy one that is best for your type of driving... if you spend a lot of time around 3 to 4 grand rpm ranges then an exhaust that has a dip in the powerband at that rpm is not such a good idea in that case... if you live on the rev limiter then you want an exhaust that gains max power on the top end...
it is not just about getting parts... it is a bout getting parts to work in your application... why spend the money if it will actually hurt with your driving style... anyone can toss money into a car... but the man who does it the smart way and gets parts that work for how he drives his car will have a machine that is taylored to where he drives it... not just a bunch of parts that are expensive but do not help the car for its intended purpose...
Old 04-18-2005, 05:26 AM

i made my custom exhaust. I have 2.5" piping with resonator and N1 style muffler. I'm happy with it. It does not sound bad at all.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:20 AM

Wikd.. I also love dual exhausts. I am interested to see some dyno results when you get it done. I am concerned that with our 4 bangers.. it would be extra weight. Would like to see some actual results though.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

i have been wanting to do dual exhaust sense i bought my 240. i just couldnt figure out how i was actually going to do it. i think it would be sweet as hell to have it. my friend has a 89 rx-7 and he made duals for it and its so sweet looking and sounding.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

it just takes creative bending of the pipes... there is plenty of room to split the tubing befor the rear diff and bend over the axels and make new hangers... any GOOD exhaust shop... no midas or the likes can do it... look for a race car shop or an exhaust shop that does mainly old american muscle cars... they will most likley have a mandrel bender... no crush bending allowed... keep the pipe as small as possible... helps with the routing... you will have enough cross section of pipe to make up the differance... im using 2.50 inch pipr from the exhaust back to the rear diff... then 2.25 inch pipe for the bends over the axels to the mufflers...i have had it mocked up but not on my car yet... i still need to get the pipes bent... im doing all the welding myself... mainly cus i can... and the other reason is... i do as much of my own work as i can...
Old 04-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Took the tip off, sounds the same. Im keeping it for now it doesn't sound good but its better than my old exhaust trust me. Ill replace it later. Besides gives me "respect" from the ricers

Has anybody bought the BRM exhausts on Ebay? Sound Clip?
Old 04-19-2005, 08:10 PM

BRM is made by the owner operater of NICO.. check out the 240 section there... tons of info about that exhuast

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust