NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Do I Need A Cat

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 03:23 PM

Do I Need A Cat

Hey hey whats up I have a 95 240sx se with stock headers..Im looking into doing some dc sports headers will i Need to buy a high flow cat considering the collector size on the dc sports its bigger then stock?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

no, but it would help to just go buy a test pipe. Should go buy a cat-back as well, no point on a header without an exhaust...
Old 04-16-2006, 07:43 PM

Ohh I already have a cat back exhaust and my intake is on the way so my next mod is dc sports headers then 8lb flywheel with a stage 3 clutch and them cams.hopefully my car is faster u kno....i dont have the money or time for turbo so i have to stick with na ka..besides i dont wanna go superfast just a littloe bit more
Old 04-16-2006, 08:05 PM

probably wouldnt want to go with a 8 lb flywheel....fidanza makes an 11 lb, and act makes a 12.5lb....go too light and you will lose too much inertia and your car will just rev out and you wont really gain anything....
Old 04-16-2006, 08:25 PM

Does make sense since when I get up to 5k rpms the flywheel will be so light it wont be able to have inertia or like momentum kinda but not really lol...with a little bit more weight it will still put some force right?? makes sense...Ohh by the way I heard clutch and flywheel work on a Ka makes a world of a diffrence do u think this is so...and headers and pullys do so as well...A wise man once told me that once the Ka can breath its a fun motor...cai headers and exhaust
Old 04-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Re: Do I Need A Cat

Originally posted by BmoresZenkiS14
Hey hey whats up I have a 95 240sx se with stock headers..Im looking into doing some dc sports headers will i Need to buy a high flow cat considering the collector size on the dc sports its bigger then stock?
You can run the stock cat, but you will get much better results with a high flow CAT. Do not get test pipes, I hate people that don't give a shiat about the air we breath.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:39 PM

High flow cat=5hp gain+better smog test since its newer than your old one

test pipe=5.2 hp gain+incredible amounts of noise+fire out the exhaust (cop atractive)+ Honda like Look and sound+potential for Fine+ unable to pass smog test+ o2 sesnor problems in newer cars+un-happy neighborgs+less profesional
Old 04-20-2006, 02:54 PM

so do you think I should sell my test pipe and buy a high flow cat??? cuz I want it to remain silent and pass smog test
Old 04-20-2006, 05:28 PM

Yuo know when you're in ur home, watching tv, and then you hear a car in the distance, accelerating. that car prolly has not cat. The sound comign off from it will be double what you'll get with header and catback if you put a test pipe. Even the high flow cat will increase it a litle bit, but not even half what the test pipe will make it. I'm tellign you ,is you put headers, test pipe and catback, you'll feel the vibrations in your ear, no joke.

And you won't pass the smog test. This is why they call it "test pipe" cuz you put it on to test the engine on a dyno, or test it at the track, but not to drive with it.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:42 PM

ok kool cuz my 3 inch cat back sounds deep and nice like a wrx almost I wanna keep it low key like that So ima sell my test pipe and replace the Cat when I do my headers.....Im bolting on my headers and downpipe and intake next week with a 11lb flywheel and stage 3 clutch will my 240 feel alot quicker or just a lil??? ohh 1 more question does headers make your car loud or does it only intesify the exhaust a lil bit
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 AM

just a thought...why are you getting a satge 3 if you are not going 2 turbo? a centerforce stage 1 is good for 220 ponies! whats the point for the stage 3
Old 05-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

i dont have a cat and mar car is quiet as hell, like stock 350z quite and i also have 3in. from turbo back. But yea a high flow cat is just is good as far as performance. Inspection around here doesnt care bout nething so i went with the cheaper item.

also id go with a stage 2 clutch, not over doing it, yet it will hold up better for those "spirited drives"
Old 05-13-2006, 02:35 AM

Big Vinnie How wide needs a Hi-flow cat to be to fit on Dcsports header?
By the way the DcSports NHR4205 is a new one made especially for S14, threfore NHC4203 like you mention before in another thread fits both S13/14.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:23 PM

Well I just completed my full exhaust system.I bought the megan racing headers witha downpipe.It has a gutted cat WHich I diddnt do it was like that for some reason and a 3 inch cat back sounds great and my car is way quicker now.But I couldnt hook the egr up it diddnt fit the hole put in the headers was way to small for some reason and the secong 02 sensor on the downpipe diddnt fit either...And My car smokes a little bit now. Im guessing cuz the cat is gutted and I have a full exhaust now.And also Its burns a little bit rich now...Is this becuase I got the second 02 sensor zip tied to my tranny mount??? please help me some one Is my car burnin rich bad for it?
Old 05-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

your car smokes because you need all the 02 sensors hooked up, it may run a little bit more rich, but not that much, no running rich isnt bad it just uses more gas and causes a decrease in performance. Get the 02 sensors hooked up and you should be ok.

Quick Reply: Do I Need A Cat