NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Engine running hot after 5 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 03:39 PM

Engine running hot after 5 minutes

This was the problem when I bought the car. The guy told me the front crank seal needed to be replaced for $250. I bought the 5 dollar part and did it myself. Now the car still overheats and if I start it cold itll go maybe 10 minutes. I put in all new antifreeze because I took out the radiator anyway to do the crank seal. Why does it keep overheating?
Old 11-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.jonko.com/forum/tutorials...verheating.htm
http://www.misterfixit.com/overheat.htm
Instead of typing out everything. I went to google.com & typed in ....what causes engine overheating
It took 10 seconds & saved about 20 minutes of typing.

There are MANY more hits than these 2 also.

Last edited by Project Cheap13; 11-07-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I took it into a shop and they said the motor also had a blown head gasket and some damage to the head Looks like I'm going to be doing an SR swap.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

damage to the head? Did they take it apart to verify this?
I'd say get a 2nd opinion.
You may just need a new thermostat.

I would HIGHLY recommend you take it to the dealership. They may charge more but they only do what is nessessary.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:00 PM

Yeah I thought that sounded wrong. They checked the compression and thats how they came to that conclusion. I have some people who have worked on this for many many hours who are going to help me out. If it is totally screwed up then they found me a KA with 60k on it for 50 bucks. We will see.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

50 bucks? What a deal!
Old 11-10-2004, 06:53 PM

Is your car smoking out the exhaust? If you truly have a blown head gasket... you'll see crap loads of white smoke...

and check your oil... see if it's brown... or any sign of water contamination....
Old 11-10-2004, 07:08 PM

As Jigoku said you should be able to tell more specifically if you have a blown headgasket. Additionally that will burn coolant, and as long as you still have some, you should be cooling. Your problem lays in your coolant system, as well as possibly misinformation from a shop.

What ratio of coolant/antifreeze did you use? You have no idea how often people use 100% antifreeze, just not knowing. Do you see any drips where you park your car from leaking hoses? Have you checked your thermostat?

This shop that said you have a blown head gasket. They determined that simply from a compression test? That won't determine area of problem, besides wet-test determining ring issues. What symtoms does the car have besides overheating?

Where are you located? If you're in CO i'd have you stop by our shop, but there's only a 1/50 chance of that

Last edited by SHIFT_speed; 11-10-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:17 AM

The only time I saw white smoke was when I started it up after it overheated (a lot came out for a couple seconds). When I started it from cold there was no smoke. What they explained was that there are exhaust gases getting in the radiator causing it to boil over. When I took the radiator cap off when I first started it fluid shot out. The thing is I did a crank seal job and when I did that I totally drained the radiator and added new fluid. I was told that you had to put the heater on when you did this and when I did it wasnt even hot at all. I'm going to get someone who I know is knowledgable on 240s to take a look. I know I could get the motor for $50 plus around 500 labor, but the guy takes a while since he's busy. If there's any way it could be the thermostat I would be very happy.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Jigoku Z
Where are you located? If you're in CO i'd have you stop by our shop, but there's only a 1/50 chance of that
I'm in Florida but I appreciate you offering
Old 11-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Where in Fl?
You can see where i'm located.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:14 PM

There is a way to tell if you have a blown head gasket....

if two of the cylinders side by side... have the same reading... dry and wet test... and the reading lower than the rest of cylinders....

also... do you have to add coolant often?

and feel the upper radiator hose when the engine is warm up... if the hose is cool or cold... that a sign of bad stat.

if you going to replace a stat. replace a radiator cap as well....

I would change those our first.. and see what happens.... It shouldn't be more than $12 total.....
Old 11-11-2004, 06:32 PM

I'm in Tallahassee. I just bought the car so I haven't noticed about coolant level. The problem has been since I got it. The guy told me all it needed was a crank seal so I did that and I engine Brited it and that seems to be better. But the motor just sounds a little rough at idle so thats another reason they believed it to be headgasket. But I've had a car with a blown one and it smoked like crazy everywhere. White smoke = water. But this car the only time like I said was right after it overheated.