NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

harmonic balancer

Old 01-13-2005, 02:39 PM

harmonic balancer

Can somone please light me in what a harmonic balancer is/what it does/and what goes wrong when its bad?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:57 PM

Harmonic balancers rob power..
Old 01-13-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Doesn't it allow for higher revs? Well, the ability to reach higher revs safely, But yeah, it robs power and could be just a fake.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:58 PM

http://groups.msn.com/MuscleCarTales/engineterms3.msnw

yeah, looks like it robs power.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:05 PM

don't remove it. ask the honda guys whats happens.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:12 PM

i dont wanna remove it and wanna know if mine is broken and i need to know all the symptons to tell
Old 01-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard Sentra guys actually take thiers off thier cars. Don't quote me on that though. I remember some of the KA heads over at NICO talking about it.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:21 PM

okay like i said already.. i'm not looking to remove to add more power!! i wanna know how they go bad and what happens when they do go bad.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Contributing Member

I'm guessing that the engine will become a lot rougher at higher rpms. What happens when it goes bad, I have no idea.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:46 AM

alright. thats a sign i have... my car is rough at high rpms. anything else... how about not running right and stalling, and how about the speed and rpms take it's good all time to reach 50mph. how about over-heating?.. any more ideas from anyone?
Old 01-14-2005, 10:05 AM

vibrations from the crankshaft are absorbed by the harmonic balancer. Basically, the crank pulley has rubber stamped into it to counteract torsional vibrations. True these do add weight, but If you get a lightened crank pulley, you save the couple lbs but totally neglect this safety feature. this will most likely result in premature main bearing failure.

There are 'dual mode' dampeners which are essentially the stock pulley with an extra ring weight suspended by rubber attached to the back or front of the pulley. The inner ring counteracts torsional vibrations while the outer one counteracts bending vibration. (info taken from a supra website). The extra dampener yields a MUCH smoother feeling engine at high rpm's, so if you spend a lot of your time above 3500rpm and care about how long your bottom end lasts, a 'dual mode dampener' is a worthwhile investment and has very very negligable effects on performance.

Weather or not dual mode dampeners are available for an SR or KA motor is not known by me. All I know is my advice is do NOT remove the dampener and replace with a lightened pulley to gain a minimum of HP. You run the risk of premature bottom end failure and It will increase noise, vibration and harshness as well.

oh, and the rubber can rot and become less effective, which would contribute to increased harshness. This recently happened to my mom's Volvo 740tic. She couldnt place her finger on the symptoms but she said it just didnt feel right.

Last edited by Neil; 01-14-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:08 PM

oh alright.. wel li'm trying to still figrue out what the hell went wrong with my old engine. i haven't pulled it out the car yet cuz i'm trying to see whats wrong so i can get more life on the old engine. cuz last night my friend said maybe the haramic balancer broke and he told me to look it up on the web.
My old engine it ran good till the upper chain guide broke off and went somewhere in the motor. then i drove an extra 4 months like that cuz i had no choice but to drive it cuz i had to get to work and school... so one night i did a burnout for some stupid reason i guess because my friends were in my *** about how much of a piece of **** car the 240sx is. so i said yeah this 240sx is **** for now but it still kicks ***.. so they said prove it.. so i did a major *** burnout and went down the street at like 85mph... so later on in that night the car still was running good til about 11:00 at night i noticed problems. like my car would not pull off a hill and i tried over and over again and just didn't wanna pull off from a hill and it stalled. so i went down the hill backwards to flat ground. was driving it on flat ground to find out what the hell was going on.... then i started to smell anti-freeze so i looked at the temp. and the motor was ****ing HOT. so i pulled over waited two hours for the car to cool off. okay so 2 hours went by turned the car on. started reving at like 400rpm and it dies right away. tried it again. idle was 800rpm and the car died. so i open up my hood and i adjust the throttle cable. did that went and turned t he car back on. idle was 1,500 rpm so i adjusted it by too much but it was enough for me to get home without any stalling problems. so i'm driving home. i keep hearing loud *** ****ing metal hitting metal really fast all though the rpm range. it kinda sounded like a popcorn machine at a movie theather or when you make your own popcorn in the microwave. so as i'm hearing that loud noise i noticed my rpms and speed would not go anywhere. i put the gas pedal to the floor and top speed was like 25mph and the sounds got louder and louder and i could feel something hitting my gas pedal and it scared the **** out of me cuz i felt like something was gonna blow and catch on fire but i had to get my car home so i forced it it was only a 5 minute drive to get to my house but it took me 25 minutes cuz the car was running so ****y. when i got home i parked i let the car run an extra 30 seconds to see if it was over-heating and it was not and i still had anti-freeze in the over-flow and radaitor but it didn't over-heat on the way home. next day in the morning i started the car. started fine. but had that loud *** sound again. I got under the car and my whole transimsioon was shaking like a mother ****er. it was shaking from the crank pulley to the tranny... so thats why my friend said it might be my harmonic balancer. does anyone agree with him?
sorry about the long post but i need to see what i can.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:22 PM

sorry again i need to add more info. i also checked my oil and anti-freeze and they were both fine didn't show any signs of a blown head gasket. my engine thats still in the car has 200,005 miles the upper guide broke off at i think maybe 175k. also i have new engine that i got off ebay that has 100k miles
Old 01-14-2005, 04:16 PM

sounds pretty gross. You may have upset the timing components with that burnout... if you blew out a tensioner it would indeed make a lot of bad noise like you described, and power loss would be an issue because essentially you'd throw the timing way off. You could down the car and get at the timing chains without removing the engine from the car, but thats a decently long process itself, one which would need its own post on. Essentially it necessitates getting the radiator out, belts off, crank pully off, then jack up the motor by the transmission, take off the motor mounts, pull the transmission reinforcments off the sides of the oil pan, drop the pan, remove the pickup, pull out the pan, then you can get the front upper and lower timing covers off and investigate.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:19 PM

Its easy though to check just the upper tensioner and look down in there with a flashlight, all you got to do is remove the cam cover. You should kinda know what to look for tho.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: harmonic balancer