NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Help with egr line removal! for header install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 03:10 PM

Question Help with egr line removal! for header install

hello there,
i am trying to install the obx one piece header for my 96 240sx snd i have ran into a problem... I do not know how to remove the egr line assembly. i belive the wrench required to remove the egr valve side is a 1" & 3/16, and the exhaust manifold side is a 1" & 3/16? i already bought a new line if it takes cutting the old one off... could some one inform me on what actions to take...

i would appreciate it,
-Christopher-
96cja240sx
Old 08-10-2005, 12:01 AM

pretty sure iUsed a 15/16ths wrench on the EGR

could always use the adjustable crescent wrench, though. plug that thing up if you wanna keep your intake mani cleaner.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

if you cut the tube off right at the fittings you can use a socket to remove the fittings... or a box end wrench... better on the fittings with less chance to strip them out... if you decide to remove the egr set up then all you have to do is screw a bolt into the fittings... which makes it easier to plug... i had to use a torch on the fitting in the exhaust manifold to get mine out... and still ended up beating it off with a hammer and chisel...
Old 08-10-2005, 03:41 PM

Talking response

appreciate the help. i think i will cut the line at the two bolts...
but would removing the egr line and plugging it be detremental to the car? (just curious). the line is the only thing holding back the install of the header. i already have a new cat and hks hi power cat back exhaust and went ahead and bought a new egr line in case i had to beat the sh*t out of it..

if there are anymore suggestions i would appreciate any!

-Chris-
Old 08-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

your in florida... no emmisions right? so no, it wouldnt do anything bad to your car... it would actually help it, it's one of those "free" mods
Old 08-10-2005, 06:56 PM

no need to but the tube back on

put a 5cent pice in the hole on the header and then but back on the nut's that are on the egr pipe
done thats it
Old 08-11-2005, 02:16 PM

will the ecu try to compensate for this... or does the ecu even supervise this function? all i know is that this weekend, the header will be on (one way or another)... hope nothing goes wrong... appreciate the help with my 240sx. hope to hear from you all in the future.

thanks
-Chris-
Old 08-11-2005, 05:21 PM
PNG

That would be my question... Will the ECU throw a code? I know that some automakers throw in an occasional EGR check where the ECU will open the valve when the engine's at idle and look for an RPM drop. If it fails enough times, it will set a code.

Also, on some cars (dunno if the 240 is one of them) defeating the EGR can lead to part-throttle lean knock, because the room that was being taken up in the combustion chamber by inert recirculated gas is filled with air instead.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:29 PM

EGR block off doesn't throw codes. The removal of the egr system will....
As long as all the vacuum line are properlly connected to each device a code will note show up......
Old 08-12-2005, 03:21 AM
Contributing Member

i have none of the egr system in my car... tube valves or any of the vacuum switches that were there to run it... i have had my car this way for what 5 months now and have not had a code yet... i also removed the pair valve and all vacum lines and switches for that ... and no codes there either... but here again i own a 93 nissan and vinnie owns a 91... there will be some differances with te newer models but i have had no problem with this mod what so ever...
Old 08-12-2005, 05:18 PM

DECISIONS?
Old 08-13-2005, 05:45 PM

it is complete! We removed the bottom egr valve, then cut the other end towards the exhaust manifold. then we cut the pipe off of the valve and put the valve in a table vice and sprayed it down with tactical t22 metal penetrator oil. let it sit. and beat the sides with a small hamer. took a 1" & 3/16 socket and broke it like a champ. tomorrw we will install the header and be done with it. --complete 3" exhaust--
-Chris-
Old 08-18-2005, 05:55 PM

I have a 95 and I'm throwing a code because of this.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by miked808
I have a 95 and I'm throwing a code because of this.
Thank You Miked808.........
I was trying to tell people this....
If you read over your Factory Service Manual, the ecu will automatically throw codes......
There is a sensor located on the EGR control valve solenoid, it also controls the EGR valve, this sensor will throw a code 32 if the EGR valve, or the egr valve solenoid are not functioning correctly........
That means removal of either/or, will throw the code 32, the ecu will lead the engine to run richer than normal, also causing the engine to lose power in the lower RPM's.
Play it smart and just do the EGR block off.
If you don't want EGR functionality you have to reprogram the ecu...

Last edited by BigVinnie; 08-18-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:17 PM

I used to reset the ecu every couple of days but I've gotten lazy, and come to think of it I do feel shes a little sluggish below 3,500. Only thing is I just removed egr where it connects to header and all of the lines are still intact.

Quick Reply: Help with egr line removal! for header install