NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

How to get a KA24DE get down to business.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 02:52 PM

How to get a KA24DE get down to business.

I have a 95 stock 240sx 5 speed. It just doesnt have enough power for me. I really wanted a sr20det swap, but seeing i live in ****ing california, its nearly impossible to do.

So i half to make the KA decently fast. I'd do headers, down pipe, and exhaust(5zigen or n1). Intake(Does injen make intakes for 240s?). And i'd like to run some boost. Could the internals and everything handle a turbo?

how about fuel mods, and chip, and other stuff? suggest.

I'd like to get the car into DEEP 13s. I love the RWD, but driving a t3/t4 b18c1 civic for a year, this is kinda slow for me

Any suggestions would be great!
Old 11-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

I saw a problem with your plan.

If you buy headers, then want to boost you are wasting 300 or so bucks on the headers since you need to run a manifold. Pointless to get a header.
Sounds like you want to go turbo, but going turbo is still illegal in cali(smog, you wont pass visual).
Old 11-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

it's slow because you're comparing it to a lighter car that has had an engine swap and a turbo already on it... of course the stocker KA will be slow.

If you're thinking of adding some boost (real boost, not NOS) and - like Hyjynx said, you seem like you want to - then skip the headers and the intake. A downpipe will come with a prefab turbo kit unless you piece one together. You can start with a turbo kit and build up from there. Depending on the mileage of your KA, you might want to figure in a rebuild so you'll have fresh internals to go with the turbo. Most of the KA can handle a turbo kit no sweat, and side by side the KA-T produces more HP than an SR with similar parts.

As for fuel and chips, if you get a turbo kit, again, you'll get some sort of add-on engine management system, and maybe an upgraded fuel pump and injectors. It's all about how much you want to spend to get to 13's. The S14 is RWD, but it's also heavier than your plain played out Civic or Integ. Start with a rebuild + turbo kit, see how you like it, then work up from there
Old 11-02-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
it's slow because you're comparing it to a lighter car that has had an engine swap and a turbo already on it... of course the stocker KA will be slow.

If you're thinking of adding some boost (real boost, not NOS) and - like Hyjynx said, you seem like you want to - then skip the headers and the intake. A downpipe will come with a prefab turbo kit unless you piece one together. You can start with a turbo kit and build up from there. Depending on the mileage of your KA, you might want to figure in a rebuild so you'll have fresh internals to go with the turbo. Most of the KA can handle a turbo kit no sweat, and side by side the KA-T produces more HP than an SR with similar parts.

As for fuel and chips, if you get a turbo kit, again, you'll get some sort of add-on engine management system, and maybe an upgraded fuel pump and injectors. It's all about how much you want to spend to get to 13's. The S14 is RWD, but it's also heavier than your plain played out Civic or Integ. Start with a rebuild + turbo kit, see how you like it, then work up from there
Thanks alot. This is what i plan to do.

What are some good turbo kits out there? Do t3/t4's run well on KA's?

I'd like to have a shop do all of this, im really busy.(school and almost full time job)so i dont have that much time on my hands. And good shops in so cal area?
Old 11-02-2004, 03:35 PM

Also, the deal i had did not fall through. so im looking for a 240SX (S 14)5 speed in so cal.....any one know one for sale, or anywhere i could get one?(tried AT)
Old 11-02-2004, 04:30 PM

Christ, finding a decent S14 is so hard, i looked ebay, 200 mile radius auto trader, and yahoo, and classifieds of here with no luck.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

PLEASE DO NOT POST MULTIPLE TIMES IN A ROW. There is a edit button.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
PLEASE DO NOT POST MULTIPLE TIMES IN A ROW. There is a edit button.

Thanks
sorry my bad. My main forum has a 5 minute edit time, so i was used to that.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

seems like you've got something for that whole T3/T4 turbo thing... could it be because you had one before? Or because you still have it from your old setup?
Old 11-03-2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
seems like you've got something for that whole T3/T4 turbo thing... could it be because you had one before? Or because you still have it from your old setup?
I've had one before.

But im not sure how this hybrid turbo would run on a KA.

I want to get a fast, reliable car.

I just need to find a decent S14 first
Old 11-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sick shift
I've had one before.

But im not sure how this hybrid turbo would run on a KA.

I want to get a fast, reliable car.

I just need to find a decent S14 first
F-max makes a turbo kit using that same turbocharger