NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

idle prob's.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 02:31 AM

Unhappy idle prob's.....

i've run into a small prob with my nissan...

'91 nissan 240sx

been driving it for awhile. and two days ago she started to sputter, friends told me plugs and wires...
well.. plugs r new now, and the wires r in good condition, will be replacing those probaly with in the week just in case...

but she is still sputtering, not as bad, but it still is.. 2 out of the 4 where gapped over .055.... yes it helped a little, but she's still sputtering... there's no smell of gas, but she is backfiring.

if anyone has an idea a little intell would be helpful at this moment.. i don't want to sink a fortune into it just to find out it's something that only costs a few bucks....
Old 12-07-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

How do you know the wires are good?
What were the OHM test results?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:16 PM

Exclamation Re: idle prob's.....

Originally posted by Whisper
i've run into a small prob with my nissan...

'91 nissan 240sx

been driving it for awhile. and two days ago she started to sputter, friends told me plugs and wires...
well.. plugs r new now, and the wires r in good condition, will be replacing those probaly with in the week just in case...

but she is still sputtering, not as bad, but it still is.. 2 out of the 4 where gapped over .055.... yes it helped a little, but she's still sputtering... there's no smell of gas, but she is backfiring.

if anyone has an idea a little intell would be helpful at this moment.. i don't want to sink a fortune into it just to find out it's something that only costs a few bucks....
1.Check for any vacuum leaks
2.Check ignition timing ,it might not be readjusted.
3.Make sure all injectors are working properly ,a bad injector will cause a piston not to have his firing cycle thus causing idling problems

Let us know if u got this thing taken care of ,and how it performs after it.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:51 PM

all injectors have been checked and cleaned... i'm just glad i'm friends with a guy that owns his own shop....

all hoses r attatched and no leaks have been found in any lines....

i forgot to ask my friend on ignition timing... how would i go about checking this with no equipment... and how would i know if it is adjusted or not?

oh.. and as for the OHM results... not a clue.. not my shop...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:01 PM

just so i know.... what is the stock injector for a 91 nissan 240sx?

they checked out.. this is true... but it's never a bad idea to have extra around...

in my garage i already have an extra starter, altinator, brakes, rotors, my old factory rims with snow tires on em just waiting to get put back on for winter...(should probaly get to that sooner or later).. ton of stuff.. i always like to be prepared...
Old 12-07-2004, 06:14 PM

k... plug wires r new... every so slightly spendy... life time warrenty 8mm... hit me for 55 bucks...

i've said it before... i'll say it again... I'm glad i know people that oun there own Parts stores....
Old 12-14-2004, 04:42 PM

I bought my s13 back in November, ran fine until my dad touched one of the fuel injectors. It did the exact thing yours did. Sounded like it was missing or not getting spark on a cylinder. I had new distributor, spark plug lines, plugs, still did it. Took out injectors and saw that the seals were really bad. Bought fuel injector seals from NAPA, no one else had em. $20 fix and works fine since. (1990 KA24E, the link below is to the DOHC seals
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/nc...grpid=80624645
Old 05-10-2005, 12:58 PM

well since this seems to be a forum for idling problems maybe yall can help me out a little. We just got my engine back from a lock up. The engine wouldn't start, so we got the head cleaned and shaved (it warped a little). we have it running fine again. Except when you put it in gear. When you put it in any gear R,D,2,1 it stalls out. It shifts into the gear, and will drive in it if i am constantly on the throttle. but you have to slow down every now and then, and drifting isn't exactly legal everywhere. lol. We adjusted the throttle body, and got it back to idling at 900 rpm. i know its normally at 7-800, but we are happy with 900, so can ne one tell me how to get it back to idling in gears when im stopped. Its an automatic. thanks and please send soon. 93 auto s13 stock ka24de. if that helps everything is oem.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:38 PM

good to know that you guys are perfoming the tests. Read up on the fsm for your year. It'll help you guys out a lot.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Abo1787
well since this seems to be a forum for idling problems maybe yall can help me out a little. We just got my engine back from a lock up. The engine wouldn't start, so we got the head cleaned and shaved (it warped a little). we have it running fine again. Except when you put it in gear. When you put it in any gear R,D,2,1 it stalls out. It shifts into the gear, and will drive in it if i am constantly on the throttle. but you have to slow down every now and then, and drifting isn't exactly legal everywhere. lol. We adjusted the throttle body, and got it back to idling at 900 rpm. i know its normally at 7-800, but we are happy with 900, so can ne one tell me how to get it back to idling in gears when im stopped. Its an automatic. thanks and please send soon. 93 auto s13 stock ka24de. if that helps everything is oem.
you have a vacuum leak or when u reinstalled you motor you got
your vacuum lines crossed.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:19 PM

thanks so much ppl lol i got her runnin again she runs good, just sputters a little like the first guys prob, but she is driveable and that is good till i can get her in a shop and let them tune her
Old 05-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

yeah i got my 240 back to the running status, but isnt road ready. It its idle is fkd (idles about 1800). I had a large portion of the front of the motor apart, but didnt mess with any vacuum lines. I think one may have dry rotted or a rat chewed one. Could you tell me how many vacuum lines there are and where they might be?