NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

installing timing set

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 07:38 AM
war

installing timing set

Well I called a shop to install a timing set for me, timing chain, tensior, guides, etc.... and the want 800 bucks which is completly out of the question for an engine with 200,000 miles on. No way Im paying someone to do it when I have a factory service manual. Everything seems fairly simple. Few things I dont understand would be how I remove the belts and pulley's. Also I need to know how to set piston #1 at TDC on its compression stroke. I believe this would be when both valves are closed and the cylinder is moving upwords. Can someone please fill in the blanks for me. Thanks
Old 10-17-2004, 08:45 PM

Ill bump this to see if someone can help. Bump!
Old 10-17-2004, 09:13 PM

take out spark plug #1 and stick yoiur finger in the hole get someone to rotate the crank w/ a 1"1/16 socket (i think) when you hear a hissing sound that means you are on the compression stroke onece you hear that look at the crank pully to see the timing marks when the marks come around set the needle to the second notch from the left that is 0 degrees there might be a white/yellow paint on that notch, then take off you valve cover and see if your cam is good, there should be a punched dot on the cam gear it should be pointing at the top of the head where the vale cover seals to the head... your new chain should have two silver links on it those links go where the punch marks are on the cam and crank gears.

hope this helps.

Last edited by LTSCUDRFT; 10-17-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:17 AM
war

thanks alot dude. big help. people are 240sxforums are *********. Im still in the midst of cussing one of them big headed lamers for talkin smack becasue I asked a general question. 240sxforums suck anyway no1 has really "answered" any of my questions.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

SSDwellah...LOL
Old 10-18-2004, 10:35 AM
war

your my hero dude. for real that was really cool. I know i was an ******* to him as well but what goes around comes around. He deserved it. Anyway thanks for your help and support your a good person.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by war
your my hero dude. for real that was really cool. - Anyway thanks for your help and support your a good person.
if this is directed at me, your welcome.. i tryed finding pic's on google so i could refer to them but i couldn't find any for you. i think i have some on my other computer i'll check and post them up for you in a bit..
Old 10-19-2004, 01:50 PM
war

what about the belts in the front. How do I remove those. It tells me I have to remove them in my factory service manual but doesnt tell or show me how.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 PM

you have to loosen the bolt at the top (1st pic) and the 3 in the second pic.
Attached Thumbnails installing timing set-untitled00.jpg  
Old 10-20-2004, 01:23 PM

Attached Thumbnails installing timing set-untitled0.gif  
Old 10-22-2004, 08:23 PM

what about for a twin cam?
i hav a question about the timing chain guides. my car was rattling pretty bad so i took out the upper chain guide and put everything back. i turned the car on and after awhile it started making the noise again. i saw where the chain was hitting the guide i took out, but why is it still making that noise? is there a 2nd guide i dont kno about?
Old 10-22-2004, 08:57 PM

i only own SOHC engines i'm not too sure on DOHC motors but I would guess their the same except the cams it might be like mazdas DOHC you just point to dots at each other.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:06 PM

cool cool. what about my timing chain i q??
Old 10-24-2004, 12:59 PM
war

ok, so far I have the engine set at tdc on its compression stroke. I have the radiator fan and shroud off. I have the oil drained. I have the coolant drained. I have all the belts off. I have removed all the spark plugs and wires, and labeled each wire so I wouldnt forget which cylinder it was for. I have the power steering pump and brackets off. I have the oil pump with distributor driving spindle out. Now im at the part where I have to take off the crankshaft pully. I tried calling autozone to see if they had a crankshaft puller in order to take the big nutt off with out turing the crank. But he said he never heard of a tool like that. Then I look at there website and they have this tool which is listed as follows:
"Timing Gear Puller: Great for servicing crankshaft pulleys and gears, as well as timing gears on a wide range of gasoline and diesel powered engines.". I listed the pic if yall want to take a look at it and see if this what I need. It also says in my book that I need a "pulley holder" to hold the camshaft in place so I can take off the bolt to get the sprocket off. Anyone know if this tool is avail. some where else besides the dealer or is there another tool you used in order to hold the camshaft?
Attached Thumbnails installing timing set-27009l.jpg  
Old 10-24-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by war
Now im at the part where I have to take off the crankshaft pully. I tried calling autozone to see if they had a crankshaft puller in order to take the big nutt off with out turing the crank. But he said he never heard of a tool like that. Then I look at there website and they have this tool which is listed as follows:
"Timing Gear Puller: Great for servicing crankshaft pulleys and gears, as well as timing gears on a wide range of gasoline and diesel powered engines.".

It also says in my book that I need a "pulley holder" to hold the camshaft in place so I can take off the bolt to get the sprocket off.
1st: you will need an impact gun to remove the bolt that holds the crank pully on, because it is not going to come off by a hand tool.
2nd: the is no tool to do what you said.
3rd: just like you said "Timing Gear Puller" Great for servicing crankshaft pulleys (when you have the bolt off)
4th: for the cam sprocket (not a pully) stick a 12/13mm spanner wrench in the closest one of the holes towards the bottom on the left side of the sporcket (see attachment) and use a 24mm spanner wrench to remove it.
Attached Thumbnails installing timing set-cam.jpg  

Quick Reply: installing timing set