NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Intake toying... Your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 08:47 AM

Intake toying... Your opinion?

I've been toying around with my intake for some time. Bought an ebay intake. Bought an AEM. Both good. Bout the same size and bends where about the same. I would have to say the AEM was better though.

Now I moved the battery to the drivers side of the car and cut the ebay intake to put the mafs and cone filter where the battery should be.

On the positive my butt dyno says the throttle response is better for sure. Passing people seems a little smoother too.

Have any of you tried this with positive and/or negative results?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

in theory you should feel a differance... the reason for this is... the air has a shorter distance to travel so the speed of the air is not diminished as much as a longer journey... keeping the incomming air moving fast has been half of the battle in intake manifold design since the internal combustion motor was invented and modified...

case in point... get a straw put it in a soda and drink... now take the smae straw and cut it in half doing the same test... easier to suck the soda up... same with the air...
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

wikd you should elaborate and then give it to a mod for stickying
Old 06-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Mt butt felt something with my AEM intake.....Sounds cool too
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

I scored a nice piece of intake piping from a friends car. He cut his CAI to make a short ram, so i inherited the piping. I'm gonna buy one of those smaller batteries and then re-route the intake to the passenger side. i already got the two big hoses sorted out, but what are the two little hoses connected to the stock piping, is it safe to plug those?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

as soon as i finish my research on building my intake manifold i might do that... but as i said you should feel a little increase... any time you can increase air speed as it enters into the motor you are helping it out... now if you had a way to smooth that same air charge out as it makes the transition from surge tank to runners you would feel even more of an increase... but that means a new intake... im working on one that should do all of the above as well as out flow the stock unit... im building a home made flow bench that will help in making the manifold and so i can tune the intake runners... the result that i am looking for will drop the torque some but give me the ability to raise the horsepower...

once everything is done and the manifold is built i will should have enough information for a sticky... as well as some information about building your own or buying one of mine...

as soon as big vinnie gets back he should also have some information on this as he is building a dual intake for his ka... so hopefully befor the year is out there will be 2 intake manifolds as well as a few other parts that will help your ka run and perform as it should have from the beginning...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Name:  DSC01366.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  75.8 KB

What are those two little hoses by the radiator hose?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by wikd240
in theory you should feel a differance... the reason for this is... the air has a shorter distance to travel so the speed of the air is not diminished as much as a longer journey... keeping the incomming air moving fast has been half of the battle in intake manifold design since the internal combustion motor was invented and modified...

case in point... get a straw put it in a soda and drink... now take the smae straw and cut it in half doing the same test... easier to suck the soda up... same with the air...
I think moving the MAFS closer to the throttle body helped too. I don't know though. No money for a dyno or two to check all this out so i'm having to rely on how the car really feels in similar situations...

I did feel a little bit of an increase with the aem. Love it and the sound of it. The reasons I am trying this is i'm going to get some nismo headers and it seams like everything on that side is going to be pretty hot air wise... Plus you get the MAFS closer to the throttle body. I will post a picture or two once my batteries charge.

I am however concerned about heat as as it is set up now the radiatior hose rests on top of the aluminum short intake and heat it up real hot. Have to find a way to insulate that or drop the pipe lower and remove the battery plate. Does anyone know if the same hole is under that plate as on the drivers side? I don't want to remove it for no reason.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:35 PM

Pictures:

This is a close up of the improvised intake. I have added metal screen wrapped around the radiatior hose to help dicipate heat.

Here is where the battery now resides.

An overall image.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

hey have any of you guys moved your battery to the trunk before? Anybody know how people usually run the wires when they do this?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

That filter looks awfly close to the body. Wont it get damaged with the movement of the engine? I hope that battery is secured well...Otherwize, Nice work
Old 06-09-2005, 04:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fast1One
That filter looks awfly close to the body. Wont it get damaged with the movement of the engine? I hope that battery is secured well...Otherwize, Nice work [/QUOTE

The filter is very close at this point. It hasn't moved enough (or has enough movement space) to damage it at all even through a bit of tough driving. Even with that said I do plan to take it to a machine shop and see if I can get a pipe bent with a little better angle to cut below the radiatior hose and hopefully loose about an inch in length for a better fit. And from what I can see the space does look open under the battery tray.

The battery is in there pretty good. You can't move it with your hands but If I decide to leave it this way I will put in a hole for a battery tie down clamp.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

cowboy turbo the best way to run the positive battery cable is through a grommet in the passenger side wheel well... if you remove your inner fender and look back you will see the rubber plug with wires comming out of it... you can easly run a cable through there and into the car... i dont advise you run a ground cable as that can cause some electrical noise...ground the stock negative battery cable to the frame... and then make a new ground cable in the trunk...

same with you tanshin... shorten the ground cable... as long as it is grounded to the frame it will work... the extra long ground cable can cause what is known as a ground loop and give you noise that you can hear in your stereo,,, and can cause all kinds of electrical gremlins to pop up... but nice work all in all...
Old 03-16-2007, 01:25 AM

How do you move the MAFS to the other side? Please show pics and detail haha or do you just cut the tape thats holding the 3 wires together? are they all covered seperately through the tape like they are when they come out on the drivers side?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

cut the tape

Quick Reply: Intake toying... Your opinion?