NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

ka24de build up

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 06:07 PM

ka24de build up

i have a 95 240 with a ka24de in it, i have about 75k on the engine. i want to make it fast because right now it doesnt have enough ***** for me and i dont want to do a engine swap. so does anyone have some parts and where i can get them, to make my car alot faster. i know i can do turbo, but dont have the funds right now.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:52 PM

its been covered a lot, use the search feature. supposely if funds are low, you can always start out with: intake, exchaust, header, ecu, free mods. check out the threads by bigVinnie and the free mod threads.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:40 AM

http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...ts_nissan.html
Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

pay to play.

Things like intake, exhaust, and headers don't add power - they either free up power (by replacing a restrictive OEM part) or they get you ready for making more power when you start doing real power-adding mods. Anyhow, start there like usual.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:49 PM

Cams and ECU tune are the most significant gains in HP.
First cams then ecu upgrade. In my opinion those modifications should be first before bolt on apps.
Everyone seems to do the process *** backyards and get bolt ons frst probably because they think its cheaper, but in the process only took longer to achieve more power. The average performance project takes about 2years and 5 grand, not including your time to put it together. People would be much more satisfied cam and ecu upgrade first.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 10-05-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Contributing Member

hello 2.6 l stroker kit... nice find... see i told everyone it was possible to do that to a 240... and people thought i was crazy... like i said nice find...

oh yeah i bet if you call em you can get an increased compression ratios while you are at it...
Old 10-06-2005, 05:55 AM

Personally I'm against stroking the KA it already has too much stroke @ 96mm. Not even your classic V8 stroker has a stroke that large. It will also decrease rev and redline to somewhere around 5000RPM.

What people should be looking into is fully counterweighed and balanced cranks to increase rev, like the FJ24 crank, used only for racing applications by nismo. It isn't on production and it is a hard to find item. If you get one of those badass cranks rev will exceed 8000RPM.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 10-06-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

as long as the rod to stroke ratio stays within limits redline should not drop that much... i personally believ that more displacement is one way to acheive certain hp goals... with the proper head work and the proper intake and cam selections there is no reason a 2.6/2.7 l motor could not produce greater hp levels...

and like v8 motors... you dont need to rev all the way up to 7500 or 8000 rpms to make that power...
Old 10-06-2005, 01:29 PM

i was thinking about going with cams. i know they do alot of work to get the horsepower. do you have any suggestions on which cams i should go with? and about the ecu. what kind of mods are you talking about and where should i go to get this done?
Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by striker9137
i was thinking about going with cams. i know they do alot of work to get the horsepower. do you have any suggestions on which cams i should go with? and about the ecu. what kind of mods are you talking about and where should i go to get this done?
For the best results I would buy the Jim wolfe technology cams. I don't find the PDM racing cams to be that impressive. After all PDM masked there dyno to the cams by using header,intake, and a crank pulley to achieve the numbers that they did.
With a Jim Wolfe technology cams, ecu retune, and header and exhaust you will make a little over 190RWHP or the equivelant of 210CHP from the 15% degredated loss.
Instead of getting the Jim Wolfe technology ecu, you can always get a BikiRom Daughter board and retune your ecu as many times as you would like for $290. Biggest bang for your buck when compared to standalone units that cost atleast $1200 and sometimes need new wiring harnesses and rewiring.
I should also make a note that Bikirom sells the daughter boards to the sr's. For those of you that are confused SR and KA daughter boards are the same, there are no differences and they can be adapted to either SR or KA mother boards. All it does is allow you to reconfigure .bin files so that you can make your own fuel, ignition, and knock sensor maps, this also means that you can remove speed limiter functions, yada, yada, yada.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by wikd240
as long as the rod to stroke ratio stays within limits redline should not drop that much... i personally believ that more displacement is one way to acheive certain hp goals... with the proper head work and the proper intake and cam selections there is no reason a 2.6/2.7 l motor could not produce greater hp levels...

and like v8 motors... you dont need to rev all the way up to 7500 or 8000 rpms to make that power...
Still on any level for a 4 banger there is too much to be invested in. I took a look at that stroker kit an it just looks like mumbo jumbo. There still not giving you a fully counter weighed stroker crank. With half (assed) counterweighed cranks that have been enlarged, it still will decrease rev from to much torsional vibration. Then it talks about increasing displacement to the extreme of 2.6 which the KA block wasnt designed for with its coolant passages, (it is a block that was siamesed together by cylinders and welded to make up one block). Increasing the displacement alone will decrease rev, and then they want to give you a larger crank? It doesn't add up.
When you get into the larger displacement stroker kits you have to invest a crap load of time and money in other parts such as $400 crank pulley dampeners. Work to the head, increased injection. Altogether it just looks like one jumbled expensive mess that wont rev high, and they don't give you a disclaimer that it defenitely wont be streetable, and infact you would probably have to retard the stock timing which is already to low on a stock KA.
More people are going the route of destroking, it is cheaper and much more reliable. For what is invested into a stroker kit like that it isn't producing high enough HP numbers to be worth it's value.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:46 PM

i know this is probably gonna be a stupid question. but i wanted to know if the cams out of a 91-94 would give my 95 any kind of a power gain? or is it a waste of money?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:17 AM

This is when I would say SEARCH.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Search....but this time's a free-bee. Put two 91 exhaust cams on. Yes, two exhaust, one for intake on for exhaust. That'll give you the best power from cams without buying a performance cam.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Preston
Search....but this time's a free-bee. Put two 91 exhaust cams on. Yes, two exhaust, one for intake on for exhaust. That'll give you the best power from cams without buying a performance cam.
This is FALSE. The KA loses power with 2 exhaust cams from the 91 unless you get some adjustable cam gear sprockets and fine tune it. There is too much overlap of the 2 cams. You must use a 91 exhaust cam on the intake side (248), and use a OBD 2 exhaust cam for the exhaust side (232). The claim to power is moderate at about 7HP to the wheels. Shiat and I was going to tell you to search. LOL

Quick Reply: ka24de build up