NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

ka24de Restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 04:12 PM

ka24de Restoration?

I was wondering if you guys could tell me what should i do to restore a 92' 151,000 mile ka24de?

Can you tell me what parts i should replace ie.: pistons, rods, cams, cam gears, valves, springs and more.

Or if you can point me to couple web sites that have ka24de restoration sugestions and stuff.

My budget is at about 5k, will that be enough to restore the engine so it will live 50k miles more?

Thnx in advance.

PS: I dont want to buy a new motor, i just want to restore the old one.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:29 PM

are you rebuilding stock or doing upgrades along the way?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:36 PM

it might be cheaper to get a new one, unless you do the work yourself. but it depends on your plans are with the car. if you want to stay na then go with rings, timing kit, valves and springs, and oil pump. you can swap pistons and rods also to increase hp. there is a lot more to turbo or nitrous. just search and they will come!
Old 11-19-2005, 05:50 PM

Yeah you will want to look into pistons.
www.ka24de.com sells some really good super tech pistons for $489.
There is also www.nizzx.com if you want high quality rods for an affordable price.
You can also go to http://www.rpmmachine.com/enginerebu...nissantop.html
and get a COMPLETE engine rebuild kit includes all pistons, rods, gaskets.

I would recomend the super tech pistons for there thicker ring lands, much more durable under high stress conditions.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by nick3
it might be cheaper to get a new one, unless you do the work yourself. but it depends on your plans are with the car. if you want to stay na then go with rings, timing kit, valves and springs, and oil pump. you can swap pistons and rods also to increase hp. there is a lot more to turbo or nitrous. just search and they will come!
Um, it's like 3k to get "a new one"... I think you meant "swap in a used one that's in working condition".

Your standard engine rebuild kit for the KA24DE is like $500 for the "premium" setup (pistons, rods, the usual + water pump and some other stuff I forgot right now)

5k is way too much just for a rebuild, unless you're going to pay labor for someone else to do the job for you.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:21 PM

yeah, a good low miles, used engine, and swap it, instead of opening the old one up. (gets a little expensive if a shop does it) and also depends on what parts you buy. forged or not. thats why i said it might be cheaper. i dont know his plans. but if he wasent doing the work his self, it might be worth it to him to have everything brand new instead of a rebuild. and there wont be the extra cost of messing with the internals. it would just be a swap. if he didnt have big plans for the car a used engine swap would be the way to go. a low mile engine and a swap would cost about $1500. to me (not speaking for everyone) it would be worth the extra money. $3750 should be about what it would cost if a shop is doing it. a rebuild would cost closer to $2000 with labor, after geting all the extra gaskets, timing kits, oil pumps and the rebuild kit. thats not including if the block or head is warped or not from heat, or the condition of the cylinders or the internals on the head.

Last edited by nick3; 11-20-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:03 PM

re-s13 240: I want to rebuild the engine with stronger internals so that it will last another (hopefully) 50k miles or more and i will only do basic upgrades like CAI, Full exhaust from header to cat-back. I dont plan on going turbo, but i want the engine to be strong enough to handle a turbo just incase i deside to get forsed induction.

---
I dont plan to do the work my self, because i dont know how to do engine internals. I just want to buy all the parts and when i have everything i need im gona go to a shop and let them do everything.

BigVinnie you seem to know alot about ka24de's so can you help me out and tell me what i need? I know about the basic pistons/springs/rods stuff, but is there anything else?

Thnx in advance.

Wow, that rpm website has realy cheap parts. I looked at the ka24de crankshaft and its 261$, is this true or am i not seeing something?

Last edited by izzy240sx; 11-20-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:15 PM

To have a shop do it, it can be pretty costly. Me and a friend are doing a full KA rebuild and its alot of work, I can imagine the labor prices would be rediculous.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:31 PM

Then what do you suggest i do if i dont know how to do the work my self?
Old 11-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

woah .. back up.

the KA is known to last well over 200k ... you're only looking for 50k more? There is no need for a re-build man. I would think its a waste of money unless your lookin to race or beat the **** out of it.
.. just my opinion.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:51 AM

Originally posted by izzy240sx
Then what do you suggest i do if i dont know how to do the work my self?
You could always teach yourself. If you have a place to do the work, invest in some tools, get an FSM, and start from there. You can try and find local people to help you out if you need help, I'm sure someone would be willing. It's a great learning experience and in the end you will have that bit of pride knowing that you did it yourself.

woah .. back up.

the KA is known to last well over 200k ... you're only looking for 50k more? There is no need for a re-build man. I would think its a waste of money unless your lookin to race or beat the **** out of it.
.. just my opinion.
Cape also makes a valid point. If the engine runs good and is relatively well taken care of, you should have no problem getting 50,000 more miles out of it. Do a compression test on your engine, if the results are good I wouldn't even worry about rebuilding unless your going to be replacing with performance parts. As for going turbo, the KA should be able to handle a decent amount with the stock bottom end. If you do go turbo KA down the line how much power are you looking to make?

Last edited by Bryan; 11-21-2005 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:20 AM

You don't need no re-build kit. It all depends o nthe way the hengine was taken care off during its life. If your car smokes, hesitates, has a shameles power lack, starts abruptly or other engine malfuctioning things hapen to your car, then you might rebuild it. I have 182K miles on my KA and it runs perfectly ,the only thing I had to replace was the oil pump and timing belt at 150K and had to re-tighten the valve springs because they were making funny noises. If your car smokes or other things, the youm igth want to have the piston rings replacedand have the wall polished. If you don't trust your engine then yeah, I guess getting some new shafts, rods, bearings, pistons and all should get you like 150K miles more. My engine has overheated a couple of times, I race it about every other sat, drift sometimes. I pulled a car once for like 30 miles and among other heavy abuse, my engine runs perfectly. Its yoru chioce. with 5K you can do a nice SR20 Swap, which most of the times come with low milage and you can even spend the extra money updating that one.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by Joel SX
starts abruptly or other engine malfuctioning things hapen to your car
man if my car starts abruptly i am calling the exorcist...lol.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:07 PM

RE:s13 240- Teaching my self isnt bad, but how do i learn how to replace pistons, springs and rods? And im shure i will need some expencive tools to pull that of. Plus i dont know anything about working with engine enternals. Ill probably break the engine way before i restore it.

I dont plan on going turbo, but i still want the engine to be strong enough to handle the turbo just incase i do get forced induction. And yea after i rebuild it i do plan on puting performance parts, but only you'r typical full exhaust system and CAI.

RE;Joel SX- The Engine seems fine, nothing bad, does what its made for. I dont want to get a SR swap, i want the ka24de for the torque it gives and the ka24de is enough for me for daily driving.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:25 PM

i have the ka24e and i have 220k miles on it the only thing been replaced as far as i know is the timing chain. did it myself. i also have a ka24de in my wrecked 91 well over 160k both my cars run like new almost or well the 91 ran like new.

you're afraid of teaching yourself? first off you have the greatest tool you could ever wish for "the internet". you can find anything you need to know if you search for a little bit (well except for how to work the rear shoulder belts in an 89 240sx but that's a different story). the second most important tool you could have are a chiltons and fsm. finaly and this is almost the most important tool of all a good friend. if you have those then you can do practically anything to your car.

Quick Reply: ka24de Restoration?