NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

ka24de's why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 07:13 PM

ka24de's why?

sorry guys i'm new and i hate the KA24DE. every KA i had went to crap on me. on my nissan pickup,my nissan altima, now my nissan 240sx but i wont get rid of my 240sx never!

in my 240sx i think i snapped a coonecting rod cuz thats what everyone i talked to has said it was. is it also true when a connecting rod snaps will it make the engine over-heat?
Old 11-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

WTF did you do to your engines? KAs are very reliable.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:01 PM

well the truck was given to me and it had 200k miles and lasted me 2 months, the altimas had 108k miles and head gasket blew and cylinder head cracked somehow, now my 240sx is all messed
Old 11-06-2004, 01:41 AM

...um.. 'when you make them overheat'
...that sounds like part of the problem. any high-mileage engine will have problems if you don't take care of it!
If you wanna swap. go rb. I can't defend the engine to someone that's got their mind made up.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:10 AM

This is what it sounds like has happend. I am a strong beliver in the KA it is a very good engine when properly maintained like any other engine. Sounds to me like someone was either A. Not doing proper maintainace which means more then just oil changes (you have to change and flush your rad out to every once in a while which could explain overheating). Snapping a con rod is a very hard thing to pull if you did I will say this. Stop redline bouncing and beating on your engine. Normaly driving should not be getting these problems.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:54 PM

a broken connecting rod = pwned engine... i dont think you can even start or would even want to run the car with a broken connecting rod. if your car overheats and runs fine... i dont think it is a connecting rod. have you ran a compression test yet or power balance test yet?

if you do proper maintence on your KA your KA will last you long... just like my 270k mile one which just past away. only a piston ring too....
Old 11-07-2004, 09:03 PM

I totally agree on what everyone here is saying. To me, it sounds like a cooling issue, check your radiator, fans, and cooling lines. I can almost say for sure that something is wrong in there.

As for your delima with KA's dude, my KA has 200600 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. But, I maintain and take care of my baby, it sounds to me like you have a serious issue with neglect of your engine, and no matter what engine you put in, KA, SR, RB hell you can put a Chevy 350 in there, if you treat it like a toy and don't manage it right, you'll destroy everyone of them like your engines in the past. It's not a problem with the engine, it's the owner.

Sorry if I sound like a ***** but it always shows true that user error and owner neglect is the number one killer of engines.

Take Care,
-Dave
Old 11-08-2004, 12:12 AM

KA = torque.

horsepower costs money

torque wins races, and its ****ing awesome in canyons. stable power and you NEVER have to wait for turbo boost.

KA, if you build it right, especially with a turbo will rape the hell outta SR's. SR's aren't that impressive to drive. i personally am DYING to drive a KA-T.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

Like Shelby said "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races"
Old 11-08-2004, 01:40 PM

well i take care of my KA's is just that every KA i had over 150k miles and they just ran ****y! yes i think i have a bad connecting rod the car starts idle at 200 for 2 mins and shuts off. if I drive it it stalls out. my friend herd the engine noise and he said it sounded like a connecting rod and then someone else told me that could of also caused the car to over-heat is that true?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:58 PM

herre is what i herd from my engine the last night i drove the car cuz it over-heated. it over-heated. pulled for 1 hour i drove home. pedal to the floor and the car would only drive 15 mph and all i herd in the engine was pop pop pop knock knock slap tick tick tap, and then a loud cunk.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:01 PM

it was in 'limp home mode' like the 'safe mode' on your computer. and you just ****ed your engine.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:42 PM

okay yeah i kinda knewn my engine was ****ed but what can i do to get this engine running again? new connecting rods?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Open her up and see what's wrong first. And get your cooling system in check. Check your hoses, radiator, water pump, thermostat, etc. to prevent further overheating. Overheating cause a crach block on my engine before I bought it.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:07 PM

no cuz nothing is wrong with my cooling system everything was brand new

Quick Reply: ka24de's why?