NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

KA24E adjustable rockers??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 07:49 PM

Question KA24E adjustable rockers?? THEY DO EXIST!!

Yes I know they are hydraulic, but I have read there are adjustable ones SOMEWHERE.

Long story short, mine rattle like hell (surprise surprise) and I hate the idea of buying new ones just to replace something stock. If theyre of comparable price Id like to get the adjustable ones. Provided they even do exist. Ive already done the whole motor over (w/ some tweaks) and this is all Im down to, to be able to drive it.

BTW I have searched and searched and keep coming up empty. One post I found had a link to them but even the poster realized it wasnt there when he checked the link after he posted and he couldnt find it now.

Last edited by Pure Insanity; 11-28-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

why do you want the them? There is no need for them at all.

If anything call up Gerolamy & have them hook you up with a set.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:02 PM

Well I just figured theres no sense putting in something that will just go bad again.

Excuse my newbieness, but who is Gerolamy?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:32 PM

its a 24e sorry to say, we lose
-slo
Old 11-13-2004, 06:21 AM

Well after after several weeks of contemplating my options, ranging from a dual cam swap to an SR swap to trying to have a set of mechanical ones made, to (at the extreme end of my frustration) a carbed Vortec 4.3 GM V6 and 5 speed, I found that they are cheapest thru Nissan themselves. Go figure. Thats mostly due to the fact that I get parts at wholesale thru my dads shop.

I could have gotten an dual cam motor thru XAT Racing in Tampa and the computer for about 3 bills, but I still would have had to find the harness and hoses to make it all work. But then I would have done all the same work for an SR swap that I cant currently afford. Besides, Ive never even driven the car and Im not sure if Ill even like it. BTW, the guys at XAT I talked to were real helpful and friendly helping me to make a decision.

Kinda sucks to put something in that will just go bad again, but by the time they do Ill prob have moved on to an SR or wont have the car.

I havent ordered them yet, but will be soon. In the mean time Ive been doing some of the other small things that needed to be done to finish the car up. I figure by the time I run outta small odds and ends to do Ill have no choice but to get them that way itll be done except for them. LOL!
Old 11-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by slo9012Vde
its a 24e sorry to say, we lose
-slo
Someone doesnt know how to use resources do they?
There is PLENTY of mods & parts fo rthe 24e. You just have to look or know the right people)
Old 11-14-2004, 05:47 PM

Well howz-a-bout sharin some sources? I cant come up w/ much either.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Well you have to realize. The KA series engines are pretty much in the same league as the Hondas. You need to dump *** loads of cash into them to make them really really fast. That is a given.
Look at the Honda race engines they go from anywhere between 9-12K for a good reliable one. They have parts on them you cant get at Nopi.com or 90% of the honda stores on the net. There are actual machine shops & performance shops that make these parts for "race teams" & will do so for you if you ask them nicely, dont act stupid, & know what you are talking about.
The fact is 90% of people modifing their cars these days dont have a clue as to the working of an internal cumbustion engine..So they blow you off. I would do the same.
My poin tis IF you know what you are doing & dont have the mentality of "everyone else does it, so I want it also".
Learn, talk with & get to know some folks that deal with what you are looking for & in no time you will have your resources.

I havent spent this many years in the automotive world to just share ALL my secrets. I'm here to teach but to also make you use your mind. If you notice most of my posts DO make you think & figure it out on your own for the most part. If you show you are trying hard to figure it out. THEN you get better more in depth info, because it shows you are trying.

Nothing in this world is free & no one should get free handouts in this field. IF you are trying to modify your car & make it faster. Your knowledge should be on par with what you are trying to accomplish.

P.S. Loking at your location. You are not to far from me. There are PLENTY of places here in Fl that would be more than willing to help you do what you need to do.
Dont be afraid to call up REPUTABLE business & ask questions.
Also, look at some SCCA scanctioned race teams. Look at their sponsors, ect...
Look into Grand-Am street stock ( sport touring Class1 I believe)

All this info is out there for the taking. You just have to know how to get it.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by Project Cheap13; 11-14-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:43 PM

HUH! How bout that...I didnt realize your a Fla boy too. Howd you fare the hurricanes? They all missed me, the last one came pretty close tho. We got LUCKY. The eye wall came w/in 20 miles or so of us.

Ive been in/ around the auto repair biz my whole life. ASE, IICAR, DuPont, PPG, Sikkens, BASF, Ford, GM,.......Certified. Theres more I think but those are the ones that come to mind fast. LOL! But honestly Ive always been a carb V8 guy till the last yr or so. Everything Ive ever needed was readily available. Im an import tech, but performance EFI imports is new to me.

My biggest problem is searches rarely work for me for this motor. Im not sure if I word things wrong or what but I rarely find what Im looking for.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:44 PM

BTW, check out Floridadrift.com I just found it last nite and joined today.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Pure Insanity
BTW, check out Floridadrift.com I just found it last nite and joined today.
Been a member for a while already

Also. I was a Carb V8 guy myself( Used to race in ATCO, NJ all the time with 5-6 cars). Up until the mid 90's when I went over to Japan. I have been doing the "import" cars since.
But it's ALL hobby to me now, as i'm retired.

BTW. Charley ot us good. We had a 165MPH gust clocked 2 streets away. With 2 tornadoes touching down on a lot diag from us & next to us. Luckily they both missed us.
But we are in a functioning house. I lost my SBC Jag though. It got crushed by a tree.

Last edited by Project Cheap13; 11-14-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:26 AM

OK I have found some. I havent got them yet, but I have found someone that does make them. I havent had a chance to contact him yet but will be doing so soon. Looking at about $220 for them.

I found him by researching E/DE hybrids. I was about to give up and pop a DE head onto my short block...11.??compression, little water/meth inj, and happy gas. Ill get these for now so I can start driving the car and start collecting parts to do the high compression motor.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:47 AM
SSS

Originally posted by Project Cheap13
why do you want the them? There is no need for them at all.
That is a load of crap. I custom made a set for myself and a friend of mine, and both sets have been working flawlessly. They reduce the chance of valve float occurring at high rpms, and the 2 sets i made up actually came out weighing less than the stock HLA's. Engine response has improved also, and top end definetly feels stronger.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:32 PM

Weeeeellll I ended up buying a motor/ tranny combo from XAT Racing that was a good runing motor take out for an SR swap. I yanked the lifters, and injectors and it runs awesome now. Ive been sidetracked by painting my Blazer, but Ill be back to the 240 very soon. Were getting ready to build a house and I need to wrap up all my projects soon. LOL!

What is involved in "making" the rockers adjustable? I have like 3 or 4 sets of bad ones now. LOL! I was thinking get the lifters out drill and tap to the appropriate size and get the adjusters...I was thinking Honda ones since we have a Honda head on the bench at the shop I was looking at thinking it may work. Ill have to look at some of the Toyota heads we have around too. I have a few 20 and 22Rs laying around.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:09 PM
SSS

You're on the right track, however i'm not going to tell you how to do it, that's something you have to find out for yourself. I tried many different adjusters before i found ones that were suitable.

Quick Reply: KA24E adjustable rockers??