NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Loss of low-end with free-flowing exhaust and related questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM

Unhappy Loss of low-end with free-flowing exhaust and related questions

By getting the piping bent and installed Tuesday, I finally finished my exhaust system for my 1995 240sx:

Obx 4-2-1 Header
Resonator test-pipe
2.5" exhaust piping from resonator --> flowmaster muffler.

It sounds great; really deep and grumbly if a bit loud. (okay, more than a bit), but now having driven it for a day, I've discovered a noticeable loss of low-end torque. My manager (I work at pep boys) says it's too open, and the loss of backpressure has hurt the engine's rev speed at low RPMs.

What might a cost-effective solution to this be? I really don't want to have to replace the exhaust I just invested in. :\

Would getting a stock catalytic converter and swapping that in for the resonator be a good compromise between high-flow power and enough backpressure for low end torque?

A J30 LSD is in the mail, and once that gets installed the next step is to put on a lightweight underdrive pulley and get it tuned (as soon as I find some cheap fuel management). Would it be better just to wait and deal with this low end power loss via the tune? Is that even feasible?

Also, I have a small exhaust leak at the manifold mount: when putting in the header I snapped the frontmost stud of those holding on the exhaust manifold to the engine, and cracked the EGR tube. I sealed and wrapped the EGR tube, but couldn't do much about the front of the manifold. I asked the exhaust shop who bent and fitted the 2.5" piping to check it out for me, but apparently they didn't do anything about it (despite charging me :[). I know I need to get this taken care of. Do I need to get the stud drilled and replaced? Can I just use gasketmaterial to fill the edges around the front of the manifold? Could this be a large contributor to the loss of torque?

I apologize for the litany of questions, but any and all help is appreciated!

I'm too in love with my 240 to slow down my tinkering, haha.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 PM

yea it might be that its too open, and the stock cat might help, thats weird tho, i have a 3 inch with a resonator and stock headers and it feels a lot better.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

get a high flow cat at least for a little backpressure to regain some low end
Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Turbo. Yum.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:21 AM

Put the Cat back in it...

You only gain about 1-2 hp by removing the Cat anyway, and you lose bottom end... I'll take Torque over HP for street use any day...