NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Mass Air Flow sensor problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 08:56 AM

Mass Air Flow sensor problem

yesterday I took my car to a garage to have some piping fitted. I was going to get a custom pipe to go from the MAF to the side of the wheel well (Kinda likea custom cold air intake) the guys had to disconect the MAF to measure the angles anf stuff, but that didnt unplug the battery. So now when It is hook up again the ECU doesnt read the MAF and the car runs as if it doenst have it. Is this temporary and will the car recodnize it in a few days? I was told that I just had to wait a few days and the ECU would recodnize it again. I mean we double checked all the wires and everything is still nice and connected. any help?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:31 AM

It should recognize your maf in a min or two. Make sure that it is not damaged or plugged in all the way. You can test it to see if it is faulty as well. Refer to the FSM to test it. I will be testing mine tomorrow as well. MAFs suck This never happens with my map sensor in my civic
For mine, it might be due to the hks filter. Either way, you will have to test it..
Old 04-29-2005, 10:35 AM

I made doubley sure that every wire was connected. everything is as is regualrly, just that the sensor won't respond. Im sure they didntdo anything to the sensor but unplug it and the pipes around it. we did unplug it for 4 hours so that might also be a factor
Old 04-29-2005, 10:44 AM

Just do the test described in the FSM. It's only 2 steps I believe. You need the volt reading and the continuity. Recheck the ground. Just read the FSM.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:13 AM

FSM? sorry i'm not really familiar with electric stuff
Old 04-29-2005, 11:59 AM

FSM = Factory Service Manual
yea I can see that you're a noob with the 240s. No worries. Read the FSM
Old 04-29-2005, 12:12 PM

thanks for the help,but please dont assume im a noob, it's insulting. I just dont know all the abreviated terms everyone says. if you told me straight out factory service manual then I wouldnt be asking it again
Old 04-29-2005, 01:19 PM

Sorry about the noob thing. It's a determined by the amount of posts and knowledge. Since you didn't know what the FSM was and might have not done a search for any of these words (factory service manual), one might conclude that you would be a noob. But nonetheless, I hope that my input helped you out.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:24 PM

yeah it did, im reading it now and checking the car, props for helping me out. I hope I can somehow fix it. cause I know they couldnt have damaged the sensor, they didnt even touch it
Old 04-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

try disconnecting the battery for a min. this will reset your ecm to recognise your maf then drive your car like you've stollen it, this will set your ecm for max performance. in other words drive the f.ck out of it for about 10 min.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:38 PM

I tried that but nothing happned. I disconnected the battery for about 15 min but the car still had the check engine light on and the car still won't rev over 2,100 rpm. Please if anyone can help please! I really need the car to work cause my whole job revolves around my car. It acted this way cause I tred to connect an intake so I disconeected the mafs for too long.

I herd someone say that it will recodnize it if I leave it alone for a few days, is this true?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:09 AM

I just tested my maf yesterday. I haven't started or driven it since the 21st. It would start up and then die after 5-10 secs. I barely got it to drive across the street into my driveway. That was Saturday night. Sunday afternoon, I started it up and it was still doing the same thing with the idle. I checked the readings at the maf harness and the voltage was not reading stable. Battery voltage to it was good. But when it was idling and I would step on the accel. pedal, it would want to die like it was choking or something. I checked the last wire on the harness, the middle one, and then it was back to normal. It was like I grounded the system or something...not sure So there is a continuity check that I need to do...
I hope that you are doing the tests as well s14ninja.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

have you tryed cleaning the maf. also if your getting codes do a diagnostic check threw your ecm
I just put a new motor in my 240 and my maf was disconnected
for 2-3 months and i didnt have a problem starting the car, it runs
kick ***

Last edited by dkdeleon; 05-02-2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

well a MAF shouldnt just go bad but i bought one from someone on here a couple of moths ago. he said it worked fine when he removed it i plug it in and i coult rev over 2500 rpm's. i bought a used but tested MAF from someone else and wouldnt ya know. Car ran great.
get a different maf and try it. im not to sure on how to clean a MAF cause i know they are sensitive about what you do with them, so i wouldnt touch the inside of it with any type of cleaner at all. or remove the element if you can then clean it.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:37 AM

to clean a maf you spray it with carb cleaner. I sprayed a few times with brake cleaner which is a no-no But I know that I need another one as mine is like an on and off situation

Quick Reply: Mass Air Flow sensor problem