NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

My intake experience this weekend

Old 03-22-2003, 02:31 PM

Unhappy My intake experience this weekend

So I bought this OBX intake off eBay from a seller named SSAutochrome sometime in January. When it arrived I thought it looked odd and it didn't seem like it came with all the parts so I emailed him describing everything I received and he said there were no refunds, that everything I described was all that comes with the kit and gave me the phone number of his rep at OBX for verification.

Fast forward to this weekend when it's finally nice enough to go outside again and install it. Well, the design of this intake tube was absurd. It looks like all other '95+ tubes except one of the medium sized nipples facing towards the fan/engine was placed underneath and off to the outside of the car and was far too large for any of the hoses disconnected from the stock intake. I honestly believe I received the wrong part so I called this rep with the number I got back in January. He was basically a moron and had no idea what I was talking about and told me to take it up with the "vendor who sold me the part". Great customer service.

So my lesson learned is to not skimp, cause now I might be out the $75 I paid for it with shipping instead of paying $120 and having something that worked.

My question, however, is can I still attach the cone filter and MAF adapter to the stock intake tube and just rip out the air box and old filter? If so, is there any benefit other than a clean filter?
Old 03-22-2003, 10:00 PM

I bought an intake for my accord too off ebay and its the same as what u describe.U know the best part of it,it doesn't even fit in the car and the cone diameter is bigger than the piping....I still have it and wondering what model is that intake for...EBAY sucks!
Old 03-31-2003, 08:42 AM

I believe that you need to buy an adapter for the air filter. I've got an 89 and I picked one off of ebay. It was a Blitz style with a plastic adapter. It came with a gasket and the filter. For $15, I was expecting worse, but it fits fine.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

hey i got the same raw deal with SSautochrome off ebay some time last year. i know exactly what you are saying. the one nipple is huge and there is no hose to fit it. also on the S13 i have there is an intake temp sensor,, which there was no place to fix it too on the intake kit.

and to top it all off the damn adapter bracket wouldnt fit the maf sensor. there was no nuts and one hole didnt want to line up properly.

needless to say i test fir mine that day and immediately got a refund.
they had the nerve to say i ordered the wrong part. that my 240 was a 16v and i ordered a 12v part.....what A$$holes, when i orederd the kit i told em i have a 1990 Ka24E.....we all know my engine is a 12v .....what a joke they were.

sorry to say you got stuck with it jtsarnak....what i ended up doing was use a filter kit off ebay( damn ebay) and just removing my stock airbox. you may not get any hardware with it so go to the hardware store and get your nuts and bolts. then put your intake temp sensor(if you have one) in between the maf sensor and the adapter...sandwhich it in there real tight and you will be good to go
Old 04-06-2003, 10:06 AM

Well, good news after all. I ended up being able to return it for a full refund and got an AEM on the way. Guess trying to save can sometimes kick you in the rear. Oh well, better luck with this one.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:44 PM

guess this makes me an idiot, i bought an ebay obx intake and it doesnt seem to have enough hoes attachments for my motor (12v s13) anybody know how i can make it work?
Old 06-24-2003, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

you would just have to go and basically hunt down the shyt you need to make it complete
Old 06-25-2003, 08:50 PM

the only problem lies in the fact that this intake CLEARLY doesnt fit the 12v motor, only has two nipples thingies and the stock has 4 so i dunno what to do
Old 06-25-2003, 09:59 PM

Get an adapter. Most new cones are about 3inches so get something that will convert your 2 and a quater inch piping to fit a 3in. filter. I believe that is the stock exhaust size. But what you could do is just go buy some vaccuum hosing that will fit that pipe and heat it up so that it will fit down to the size on the engine. I don't know whether or not that could be done. And there is always the simple solution of reporting him to eBay and going through their buyer protection services. You might even get far enough as to find out his phone number or addy that will get you his number or you can write him a letter. But actually you might have his addy since he shipped the item and write him a nice little letter. Don't be too much of an *** and tell him what the problem is and maybe, just maybe he can refund you your money so he can rip off some one else. But yea this guy sounds like an a$$. At least leave him negative feedback and maybe you will save someone else your hassle! That would be a plus!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by brodie
the only problem lies in the fact that this intake CLEARLY doesnt fit the 12v motor, only has two nipples thingies and the stock has 4 so i dunno what to do
Oops! Just read this! I am the moron! So nevermind the crap I wrote about the hosing!!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 01:03 AM

i have a metal adapter and a 3inch k&n filter.. i think it works just as good as a intake.. **** that metal piping.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

that is what i used on my first S13worked great
Old 06-26-2003, 01:24 PM

i did that for a while, but i took out the air box, and now my air pump and air temp sensor are all out of whack.....grrrrr why didnt somebody tell me?
Old 07-25-2003, 12:47 AM

also makesure you get a CARB/EO# with yours. I can't smog mine without it. It was a pain in the *** to find the stock just to do it.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:03 AM

dude i got a famn cloth element filter (k&n style) for $15 buck with shipping included. and it came with the adapter. all off ebay. damn half the stuff i bought for my swap was off ebay. i got a 3 inch inlet muffler for like 65 bucks. screw it if im gonna blow 300 or so just for the same thing with an hks engraving on it. same damn thing. a perforated 3 inch pip epacked with glass in a can.
- bite me dragger

oh btw catco 3" cat for 35 bucks BOOH YAH!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My intake experience this weekend