S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   overheating prob. please help (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/overheating-prob-please-help-38880/)

agustin lopez 04-19-2007 02:52 PM

overheating prob. please help

hey guys, my bros 240sx 92. has and overheating problem.

the other day the radiator cracked and the car overheated, i put in a new radiator but the car still overheats.

he recently got and engine rebuild. also the guy at the radiator shop told us that if its not that it might me the head.

what can be wrong with the head that could cause the car to overheat?

ive checked the thermostat and its pretty new what else can it be. thanks

jramosthe1st! 04-19-2007 03:09 PM

it very well could have the wrong heat gasket but when you replaced the radiator did you bleed it?

sr91240 04-19-2007 03:36 PM

wut about the thermostat have you checked it also is it leakin at all

re037 04-19-2007 04:02 PM

take out the thermo.
toss it in a pot of boiling water.
see if it opens.

make sure its installed the right way too...

agustin lopez 04-19-2007 05:58 PM

ive checked the thermo but i just opened it with my fingers. how do you bleed it? and it was running fine before the radiator cracked. i will take the thermo out again and do the pot of water thing. one thing though i thought it opened by pressure not heat

jramosthe1st! 04-19-2007 06:25 PM

turn on your car with the radiator cap off and let it run for about 15min. turn the heater on all the way this will circulate the coolant and release any trapped air. add necessary coolant put the cap on the radiator any your done.

BigVinnie 04-19-2007 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 312987)
turn on your car with the radiator cap off and let it run for about 15min. turn the heater on all the way this will circulate the coolant and release any trapped air. add necessary coolant put the cap on the radiator any your done.

Close but no cigar. There is a bleeder nut right next to the thermostat just unscrew the bolt, it's on the top of the inlet to the thermostat with a warning label next to it. This will allow air to run out of the coolant system as you fill up the radiator. Once you see coolant/water coming through where the nut goes, then you screw it back on tight. Run the engine for 15 minutes then check radiator and add water if needed...

jramosthe1st! 04-20-2007 12:26 PM

^^^
yeah your righ about that screw but i wasn't sure if it was in the same spot on the doch as on the soch so i left that out.

agustin lopez 04-20-2007 05:01 PM

:bigok: thnks alot guys. i bled the system and no more over heating.

now i can drive his truck.

BigVinnie 04-20-2007 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st! (Post 313156)
^^^
yeah your righ about that screw but i wasn't sure if it was in the same spot on the doch as on the soch so i left that out.

You will normally find the bleeder next to the thermostat it is the easiest way for air to leave the system and to allow water to flow through easily.

jramosthe1st! 04-20-2007 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie (Post 313227)
You will normally find the bleeder next to the thermostat it is the easiest way for air to leave the system and to allow water to flow through easily.

the sohc has it on the intake next to 2 temp sensors so i left that out. i'm not familiar with the de but i'm not bad at trouble shooting so fortunately we were able to help him fix it.