NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

passing emission with no emission equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:59 PM

passing emission with no emission equipment.

well i have to get my emissions test by the end of the month. and i have no emission. i know a place near where i live that just put the sniffer on there. they dont really check for egr, or any of that emission related stuff. right now the car is pretty much stock. just an intake. the car is a 92 so all that is required is the sniffer. the car has 173xxx miles but my new (used) motor has 79xxx. pulled from a 98. during the swap i just decieded to remove all emissions since i had to keep my intake mani. so the only thing i left is the pcv,fpr, and brake booster. the car just runs a little funky while cold but after 4-7 mins its fine. idles at 800-900. so any one have any tips for me?

when i did get my fc to pass, i jury rigged the air pump so it flows max air into the cat. and ran one quart of denatured alcohol to one gallon of 93 octane. and it passed with flying colors. and its a rotary. lol.

i was planning to use the airpump from the fc and try to mount it onto my block. and buy another fc cat that has a nipple on it so i can "cheat" emissions. im serious, the guy my family has been taking our cars to (7 total) just throws it on the sniffer. yea he opens the hood but only to put the spark plug wire sensor thing to tell his computer the timing? maby. or idk wat he puts on the plug wire. something that attaches to his comp. but yea. hes pretty laid back about it. and hes nice.

so is using the fc air pump required to pass. or should i get an safc and lean it out. just b4 i get to the station. and run the alcohol/93 octane combo. thanks for the imput.

Last edited by Talde; 08-02-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Contributing Member

Just get it tested and see if it passes. If it doesnt then worry about it.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:59 PM

toushe. or how ever you spell it. lol.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 PM

buy a sticker...
Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 AM

Your 'guys' play a dangerous game with DEQ. $25,000 for each infraction plus the inspecting technician gets suspended and fined $2500 (10%). On top of that your license is suspended and you have to reapply and repay DEQ to continue inspecting. If they let you...

For those of you that 'Have a guy' watch out. They could be using YOUR vin while sniffing someone else's car. That will get you both in a bit of trouble here in wonderful VA. We've seen it happen here and it is a miserable experience for the victim.

If you can register your car in a non-emissions county, do it. If not, install all of the required pieces for your inspection. Build your gains around the requisite emissions systems and you will never have to worry about passing.

Oh, and BTW - If you pass one of the mobile sniffing stations (just in Loudoun alone there are 10 that we know of) and fail, your tag is recorded, and checked against the last test. You will get a fine for pollution and you will be required to pass another test before your usual two years. Oh, and there will probably be a uniform with a clipboard just waiting for the results.

I love VA... Not...