NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

poor boy needs help to teach some snob's a lesson

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 10:48 PM

Cool poor boy needs help to teach some snob's a lesson

hello i am 17 and at my school cars are a big deal as at most high schools. my prob is i live in a pretty rich area while i on the other hand dont have to much to show for. since the funnest car fitting my budget is a 1989 240sx (which i think i got a deal on it was 1200). i had to work pretty hard for the money but after being harshly critized by other classmates driving 98-00 m3's and some pretty beasty cameros i have desided to go all out...well as much as possible. and if i can beat on eof those guys just once it would be a dream. i currently have two jobs to try and get what i can...i have to pay for insurence gas repair since my parent's dont have money to help me out i was wondering what suggestions you guys had.
i have been reading threads on this site for the past few weeks and admire you guys with the out most appresiation. and while i dont know to much about cars you guys seem to be geniouses.
well so far i was looking at getting a 4" fire ball and some sort of cool air intake...i would also like to do an engine swap from what i see i could like to get the rb20 but that may be a while considering my funds...anything i could get on prices and suggestions and what this will be doing to my car would be greatly apreciated.
oh and i have been looking around a lot ..just dont want you to think i posted this without searchin first..i thought this would be the best way to get direct info on what i should get..thank you all!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:11 AM

Your gonna need a lot more than a CAI and exhaust if you want to beat on m3's and tuned cameros.

I suggest fixing what needs to be fixed and saving for that engine swap. If Horsepower is your goal that is the best(imho) way to do it.

You could slap on a big nitrous system but without an engine rebuild the most you could spray is like a 50 shot I believe (safely spray may I add).

Man don't get down on yourself. Let the high rollers do there thing. Just enjoy your car and be proud of whacha got.

If worse comes to worse just cut your springs, slap a coffee can on the back and roll out
Old 03-19-2004, 12:50 PM

First of all what type of racing are you gonna use yoru car for drag or track?
Second dont' waste money on anything you can't use after your motor swap.
If your going to get a sr or a rb don't buy a cold air short ram will be fine.
Like sneaky said who cares what those rich kids have just save up and fix up your ride.. and make it a sleeper then race them for money.

s13's are a great car, and has many options on fixing it up. I suggest you work on suspension first. A car that has power but no handling is worthless.

Just save up and do some research and get the parts you like. don't just jump into things cause your impatient.

best of luck
Old 03-19-2004, 04:10 PM

i would like to do more track stuff but i will prob do drag every now and then. yeah i talked to my dad and he suggested the engine swap. thank you.
do you know what sorts of parts i can get now as just starters that will still work for me with the rb20?
and yeah i am not gunna worry so much about those m3's but i have a new friend/ rival driving i think a late 70's 280zx and he is gunna be working on his car a lot so i think i will have a lot of fun with that.
i heard suspension makes a big diff.? y?
is it worth getting first or is there better stuff to do with my money first?
Old 03-19-2004, 04:37 PM

As long as your engine runs decently, I really suggest upgrading your suspension first.

Your suspension is a huge factor in terms of how fun your car is to drive and how well it works as a sports car. Especially if your doing track racing good suspension is key. Plus you can upgrade your suspension no matter what your engine plans are.

Also when I say upgrade suspension, it implies that you upgrade everything. don't just slap on some eibach springs and say it is done.

Start with the bushings/TC rods/ Ball joints.

Then move to struts/springs/coilovers depending on your budget.

Other than that I suggest doing everything possible to fix stuff that is wrong with your car in preporation for throwing a lot more HP at it in the form of an engine swap.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:40 PM

learn to drift see if them fancy *** camaros can do that
Old 03-19-2004, 05:03 PM

hahah i like that idea Moxmonkey.

yeah um....i dont know to much about cars the whole
"Start with the bushings/TC rods/ Ball joints.

Then move to struts/springs/coilovers depending on your budget. "
i have a bit of an idea what you are talking about would you like to expand maybe give me some perferd brands or models?
and there is nothing wrong with the car its in perfect running condition. if thats what you ment by fix whats wrong with the car.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Not step-by-step for the installs, but these are the upgrades some have mentioned:

http://www.saltgod.org/1991240sx/1991240sx.html

Honestly, don't waste your time trying to compete. By the time you have the money to get any significant gains out of the 240, you'll be out of high school. For the time being, they have faster cars. No need to take it personally.

-Justin
Old 03-20-2004, 10:11 AM

As far as cars go, you are up against some tough competition. My advice to you would be beat them differently. Learn to drive in a direction other than straight. Learn about car handling and driving lines. Spend your money on good tires and some suspension. Then beat them at an SCCA AutoCross event.

To beat them in a straight line, all you are reallying saying (no flames, I know there is some driving involved in drag racing) is that you have a faster car. Beat them at an AutoCross and you are saying that you are a much better driver, even if you are in a lesser car. Just make sure you practice first, AutoCross is not an easy thing to do well.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by MoxMonkey
learn to drift see if them fancy *** camaros can do that
Ive seen BMWs and Camaros drift...not bad either
Old 03-21-2004, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

...the white Camaro in Hawaii comes to mind...

... IMO, who cares if the M3 people are talking their trash. They paid $35000-ish for their car. Spend $35000 on a 240SX and you'll have a car much much better (all-around performance-wise) than a stock German coupe.

I mean find this out - how many of those spoiled rich kid "gangsta-tite" people BOUGHT THEIR OWN CAR? I'm willing to bet a pack of Menthols that mommy and daddy's name is on the pink slips LOL

You're buying your own car. You've set it in your head to upgrade it, and it seems like you've got a lot of good ideas. Do yourself a favor and change the car for YOURSELF, not for others. What you like is what you like, what you drive is what you drive.

I knew of a guy once who had a crazy fixed up sedan, widebody, big 19's, sound system, paint job, etc. He used to talk crap about my car at the time (Nissan 200SX SE-R) because it was basically stock except for some bolt-ons which I bought MYSELF and installed MYSELF (along with my name on the pinkslip and my name making the monthly payments). He'd be like "get 19's like me" or "you gonna keep the body stock like that forever?" blah blah blah. Then one day, he got a flat tire.

Didn't have a clue what to do because he was used to mommy paying and fixing everything for him. He even had AAA but didn't know how to use it.

I... drove right by... and kept going.

Old 03-21-2004, 12:28 AM

thanx for the advice and site justin. what about my friends 280zx from the late 70's hiw quick will that be stock... well it won be stock for long but if he works at the same rate i do do i have a chance against him?

i like the story beb very insperaitional. yeah i cant wait to get this car unnin' good i mean its already exciting driving it around..i am gunna have myslef a blast

Last edited by etchebarren72; 03-21-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by etchebarren72
thanx for the advice and site justin. what about my friends 280zx from the late 70's hiw quick will that be stock... well it won be stock for long but if he works at the same rate i do do i have a chance against him?

i like the story beb very insperaitional. yeah i cant wait to get this car unnin' good i mean its already exciting driving it around..i am gunna have myslef a blast
OMG don't call me "Beb" - that's my girlfriend in the picture!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2004, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
Hahaha.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by l2aine

Quick Reply: poor boy needs help to teach some snob's a lesson