NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

port & polish head..will it pass smog??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:46 PM

port & polish head..will it pass smog??

i live in cali and am really interested in getting more power out of the ka(i know turbo is the way to go for more power). my main question now is that if i get my head port and polish with brian crower valve spring and retainer kit will i have to worry about passing smog...i've done some research and there's some that says yes it can and some that says no it can't....i'm assuming there are different stages....

thanks in advace,
kenji
Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 AM

no response???
Old 07-02-2007, 07:04 AM

What you want is a port match if you are doing natural aspiration. The CFM that the head is rated at is already good enough for a stage 3 install (if even needed?). If I were you I would go with some stage 2 cams instead it will retain better street ability. There is a lot of valve lift on the stage 3's and then you would have to invest into other valve train components such as the titanium retainers and springs.
Now I wouldn't really port the head but I would rather consider shaving excess aluminum around the valve stem sleeves. I would keep it rough. When shaving on the exhaust side I would make it ultra smooth.
Now when polishing you want to use abrasives above 400grit, and continually polish without reducing the quench area of the dome.
Now changing the cams and polishing the head means that you will need an ecu retune. In order to pass the smog emissions you will want to keep your A/Fr's in the low 13:1 ratio, between 13.1:1~13.7:1. It is smopgable as long as the ecu is tuned for it. soem say that polishing the head changes the A/Fr's and raises NOX, something that can be corrected with a ecu tune.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:06 PM

you are my savior bigvinnie... now after i smog my car in a couple of months i'll put everything together and have it dyno tune...i'm still waiting on my v2 cams from enjuku(it's been three months)...

then after all that i'll be satisfy with my na power ka and is smog legal...except i'll have to swap cams and headers back to stock but that's not a problem...