NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Pulley & Flywheel Vs Exhaust & Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 05:06 PM

Pulley & Flywheel Vs Exhaust & Intake

Right now, my car is bone stock and Im planning to build the car up over a period of a few years. What im wondering is, whether I would be able to notice a bigger difference with an intake exhaust combo, or a pulley flywheel combo. From what Ive read, I think that maybe the pulley and flywheel might make a more noticeable difference, however I would like an opinion from someone more experienced than myself.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Flywheel won't make you much faster, helps revving, which does help your shifting, but not by much. Pulleys will help, however will again help more with throttle response. If you want more HP go the first route.

Dr.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

you could get a drop in filter and cut the air box and get a flywheel thats should help you put it down with really matters

the pully is a tricky question some are bad for your car some are good you need a dampener if you get on to cut down on vibration on the rotational mass thats how the flywheel helps it cuts down on the waight the engine has to spin
this like is all about N/A ka's and its very good big vinny knows his stuff
http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...246#post168246
Old 03-21-2005, 07:57 PM

Ok, so I guess Ill save the flywheel for later. Also I think I will also go with a crank pulley and intake now, then wait a few weeks and get an exhaust. Mainly because I want to avoid people revving their engines at me everywhere I go for as long as possible lol. Sound like a good idea?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:01 AM

no matter where you go, even if you don't have an exhaust on, you'll get revved by someone. Street racing is retarded anyway. Aside from that, I was always taught that you should work your way from the back to the front...

exhaust-high flow cat/test pipe-header-intake
Old 03-22-2005, 08:57 AM

Re: Pulley & Flywheel Vs Exhaust & Intake

Originally posted by Ks32561
Right now, my car is bone stock and Im planning to build the car up over a period of a few years. What im wondering is, whether I would be able to notice a bigger difference with an intake exhaust combo, or a pulley flywheel combo. From what Ive read, I think that maybe the pulley and flywheel might make a more noticeable difference, however I would like an opinion from someone more experienced than myself.
Personally I have the Fidanza aluminum flywheel, K&N intake, stage 2 clutch "compitition brand".
At higher RPM I can defenitly feel more power in the HP curve.
I was going to get a pulley, but without a dampener I have refused to purchase a pulley that will shorten the life of my engine.
If you are going to purchsae an aluminum flywheel you should consider a stge 2 clutch kit. You will need the additional gripping force needed since the torque, and HP degredation has been removed by about almost 13lb.s. My rear wheel's defenitly wan't to rip up the VLSD alot easier.
I personally would go with a Header,High flow cat, Aluminum fly wheel, cheap $15 EBAY FILTER, and a stage 2 clutch.... This would be a great stage 1 starter kit, the aluminum flywheel allows the engine to ASPIRATE much "EASIER".....
You will feel alot of power at the REAR WHEELS, this does not add HP, but changes the drivetrain degredation so you will see more RWH on the dyno, and the curve will raise faster with more potential for HP. Especially with all that torque the KA already has...
Attached Thumbnails Pulley & Flywheel Vs Exhaust & Intake-aluminum-flywheel-stage-2-clutch.jpg  

Last edited by BigVinnie; 03-22-2005 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:01 AM

"The KA crank pulley doesn't incorporate a harmonic balancer, only a rubber damper for the A/C clutch engagement. An underdrive pulley would be fine if it's machined right."
Old 03-22-2005, 12:26 PM

If you want to call it a Dampener, or harmonic balancer, "What Ever", it is the same thing with a different name, z24i's, and KA's come with a dampener, infact almost all cars do. Every time you high rev, fan belts cause more and more vibration as RPM raises.
Something I am trying out, is sticking some pvc rubber, "kinda like dynomat" behind the pulley too absorb the vibration, after all that is what the matting is used for when you put woofers in DA trunk.......To absorb VIBRATION.................
Old 03-22-2005, 12:54 PM

i've heard of KAs not having a harmonic balancer a so, when i read some of the posts in this thread, i got confused (cause i have a UD pulley). I searched and got that quote from FA. I have an ASP pulley for about 9 months now. no problems so far.

Last edited by swannjay; 03-22-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 PM

I own an ASP pulley also, but not installed.... You won't see any damage until a few years down the road... I am not installing my ASP until I devise the proper dampener, any 40sch PVC rubber should work as a backing for the pulley just fine.....
I'm about to find out next week... Then at some point I will make a thread.. How to make your own GHETTO Dampener....
You are right though swannjay there are only dampeners fotr the clutch engagement of the A/C, but also for the clutch fan mechanism. That is also why the KA pulley was built really heavy so that it would take the stress of vibration without a dampener.
When you lighten the crank pulley you are adding to the vibration of the crank bearing's, therefore a dampener is needed for a lightened pulley...

Last edited by BigVinnie; 03-22-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:27 PM

I've also had an underdrive pulley on my motor for quite a while... almost 5 years actually! my car has been used for daily driving, occasional street racing, and lots of drag racing at 1/4mile tracks locally. I have been pretty happy with my own underdrive pulley and havent seen any negative results. In case any of you are interested, you can check out NST, www.NonStopTuning.com
They have stuff for the KA motors and even some stuff for SR20s.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:44 PM

Places to purchase these products, flywheel, Intake, header, exhaust,etc. Believe me there are more places than ebay to find a steal........I mean deal!!!!!!!!

www.nizzx.com
www.jimwolftechnology.com
www.stillen.com
www.hybridka.com
www.boostdesigns.com

Last edited by BigVinnie; 03-22-2005 at 05:48 PM.