NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Removing speed governor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 04:22 PM

Removing speed governor?

As for removing the speed limiter, I highly doubt the dealer is willing to help you out with this one. I actually just completed the task last week.It's not too difficult to do yourself as long as you have the ability toramp or lift the front of your car up enough to get to the transmission. Here's the procedure. First you must disconnect two sensors (presumably RPM limiters?) from the tranny. One is the fourth gear sensor, while the other is the fifth gear sensor. If you look at the transmission under the car there are supposedly four (4) sensors (I only saw three, but the fourth one is somewhere under there), the ones that need to be disconnected are the middle two (2). The electrical connections are simple snap lock configured so not cutting is required. Once the two connections are disconnected, I recommend you thoroughly tape over the ends of the connectors to prevent moisture from entering within.

By doing this step the ECU doesn't know your 4th or 5th gear RPMs, therefore it won't limit you. Note: If you have faith in placing your car on jack stands (some members have done this) you can test the limiter for each gear before and after each step. What you'll find is that the ECU limits the top end RPM for 4th and 5th gear before you disconnect anything. Afterwards, the skies the limit.

The last step is to disconnect a control wire that comes from the tranny area and passes by the passenger side of the starter in the engine compartment. You'll find another simple electrical connection (looks like a tube style fuse holder) with small gauge wire. Unhook this connection and then drive your car and you'll notice the speedometer doesn't work, nor do the number onyour odometer change. What you've disconnected is the sensor that transmits the speed to the ECU and the display. Now the computer tries to watch your speed to make sure you don't go past 115mph (S13 model, S14 may vary higher), but never cuts off your fuel since it doesn't have a clue how fast you're traveling.

Since most of us don't cruise over 115mph you may want to wire a switch into the speedo connection just mentioned. I used a simple red rocker switch and installed it into the blank Nissan console plate located to the right of my
rear window washer/wiper control buttons.

Disclaimer: This method may vary for automatics and S14 models.

ok so has anyone tried this, does it work?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:03 PM

Re: Removing speed governor?

Originally posted by Sil80guy
Disclaimer: This method may vary for automatics and S14 models

I would hope so, considering the automatic doesn't have a speed governor.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Ive heard by doing this, your gauge cluster will mess up from time to time and there was another problem...but forgot.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:19 PM

Here's a shortcut. Get an ECU from the same year with the same options. And, simply plug it in. Yes, your check engine light will probably come on, but thats only bad if you are required to have emissions. Heh, that is one thing that I'm glad I do not have to do every year.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:11 PM

yeah no doubt. Not havin emissions once a year is a great thing.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:35 PM

Basically saying that if we want to not have a speed limitor we will have to deal wiht not being able to use a functioning spedometer?
Old 03-07-2004, 07:58 PM

if i disconnect the limiter on the 4th and 5th gear will the tach still work on those gears
Old 03-14-2004, 07:17 PM

any one know?
Old 03-14-2004, 07:48 PM

hmmm... I wonder if my problems may be related to this.... there are 2 sensors on my tranny that are disconnected...they are kinda round and have one electrical connection coming out of them they are on the pass. side about 1 foot apart from each other....my speedo is about 30 mph off and I have intermittant cut off problems. (see gonna shoot my car twice) at any rate when my car is running right it does not shut off but i don't know how fast I'm goin either cause at 95 my speedo is buried....
Old 03-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

so if I disconnect the sensors it is suppose to work, cuz I went n a caravan the other day to a civic meet and everyone was going 110+ so I hit 115 and the governer kicked in and it scared the **** out of me it was so scary. BTW, will I mess up my all weather tires at this speed.(bf goodrich)
Ryan
Old 03-15-2004, 05:09 AM

ok, for those of you who have done this does the tach work when you are in 4th and 5th gear?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

wouldnt the tach be getting the rpm readouts from the engine?
Ryan
Old 03-15-2004, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by ryan15
...everyone was going 110+ so I hit 115 and the governer kicked in and it scared the **** out of me it was so scary...
Ryan

you mean you've never bounced off the limiter before? damn man, I bounce mine like, every day...

but its a bad bad thing, that speeding

anyways, back to the topic, I think not having a speedometer would blow... would going to a stand alone management system let you set your own cuts? does anyone know how far up the stock KA24DE will pull, minus the limiter? I'm guessing around 130-140... but I havent a clue.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:43 PM

what would be a safe limit for the KA to rev to?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:19 PM

my s14 pulls pretty hard all the way up to 120mph before it cuts, id say it could easily do 135, then it would start to go really slow. Speaking of which, anyone know how to get rid of the speed and rev. gov on an s14? Everyone says 5th gear has a 5000rpm limit, but i put my car in 5th and revved it up to about 5500rpm before it made a weird sputter sound and cut it off...any clues? Did a search so i dont want to hear it!

Quick Reply: Removing speed governor?