Other
16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

RS R or Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Post RS R or Custom?

I finally have time to post and money for mods. I just bought an intake and my next mod is an exhaust. I am thinking of the RS R or a custom exhaust. I want it to be quiet in highway speeds/idle but have a little grunt when I floor it. Which muffler do you guys recommend for the custom exhaust? When awnsering the poll consider the PRICE. A custom exhaust is much cheaper.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 PM

Just think about how the HKS or Greddy catbacks are made. Minimal bends for high flow. I dont care how good your muffler shop up the street is it wont be as good. I'm ganna have to say save up and get something a bit better. Not doggin on the people with custom exhausts just sayin there is better out there.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Re: RS R or Custom?

Originally posted by Fast1One
I finally have time to post and money for mods. I just bought an intake and my next mod is an exhaust. I am thinking of the RS R or a custom exhaust. I want it to be quiet in highway speeds/idle but have a little grunt when I floor it. Which muffler do you guys recommend for the custom exhaust? When awnsering the poll consider the PRICE. A custom exhaust is much cheaper.
a custom exhaust isn't dyno'd / tested for flow and resonance and backpressure / surface treated / machine welded / has to meet strict construction requirements.

Consider that part.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:28 PM

i was lookin at the rsr exhaust to but i like the blitz nur-spec exhaust
Old 02-10-2005, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

Im thinking of going Greddy. I know thats legal in Ca (correct me if im wrong). The only one available is the SP. Is it probably louder than the RS*R? I like semi-loud. HKS Hi-power? I'm Confused. I NEED A SOUND CLIP!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

Im thinking of going Greddy. I know thats legal in Ca (correct me if im wrong). The only one available is the SP. Is it probably louder than the RS*R? I like semi-loud. HKS Hi-power? I'm Confused. I NEED A SOUND CLIP!
It passes the 95db noise lmit, but it's still a modified exhaust, so cops can get you especially if you live in the city. "Modified exhaust" can be simplified as "change to anything besides stock"...
Old 02-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Screw it. I'm going HKS. No matter what I do i will prob. get caught. HKS is the cheapest I gave found. Does it sound ricey or loud?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:20 AM

wait i don't get it.. so There's no such thing as a legal exuasht except oem?
Old 02-14-2005, 01:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by QR25DE
wait i don't get it.. so There's no such thing as a legal exuasht except oem?
Technically, that is correct. There is no legal exhaust for California unless it actually has a CARB E.O.# (exempt order) attached to it, and it is installed on the vehicle that it was made for with absolutely no modifications (so you can't, say get a CARB legal exhaust for a Mustang and retro it to your car).

But to be honest (and you're in SoCal so you know this is true) cops are more partial to a rumbling V8 than a 4 banger. There's a lot of Vette's and Mustangs rolling around with their Borla's or what not, and you rarely see those cars get pulled over compared to your average Import car with a shiny muffler.

To counter that, IIRC SEMA worked the action to the point where if you get a modified exhaust ticket, you can take the car to a state referee to get it checked to see if it complies with the 95db sound limit. Their tests are vigorous but, if you pass, that becomes your free ticket out of court. A couple people I know went through the State Referee procedure with their Greddy exhausts (and a little trickery to ensure low sound output, heh). They cleared the 95db limit, showed the papers to the judge, and were dismissed.

$0.02
Old 02-14-2005, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

one of the main reasons i moved out of cali...i loved the state loved the weather... hated a lot of the plastic people and the cops who would rather pull over the import than try to bust the crack dealers that lived right across the street from me an sold dope right on the corner... ( i lived in a bad part of oakland for a while when i first moved there) as it has been said befor there has been no testing or r&d work on the custom exhaust system... so it can be a hit or miss type deal and if the shop you go to only has a crush bender then the chances are the exhaust will not flow as well as an aftermarket... now if the shop has a mandriel bender then the chances are it will work almost as good as a hks or rs*r the key is pipe diameter and the lack of bends in the system... i like the rs*r on a friends car sounds pretty rough and tumble... not the fart pipe honda sound at all... i want to hear the hks system as well as the n1 dual and will decide on how they sound quality is about the same and they all work the same... so sound is my motivation in this area...
Old 02-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

I dont want honda fart. RS*R has an 80mm pipe diameter doesn't it. My car is N.A. and I wont go turbo later. Will it be ok? I will prob lose power wont I? Thats another reason Im leaning toward HKS or Greddy...
Old 02-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

I dont want honda fart. RS*R has an 80mm pipe diameter doesn't it. My car is N.A. and I wont go turbo later. Will it be ok? I will prob lose power wont I? Thats another reason Im leaning toward HKS or Greddy...
Everything you asked, we've answered in the thread
Old 02-14-2005, 05:33 PM

i've always wanted to see pics of a S14 with the ExMag on
anyone have these? i couldnt seem to find any
Old 02-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
Everything you asked, we've answered in the thread
My bad, thanks l2aine

I will most likely go HKS. I will post pics for sure and I will try to give you guys a sound clip since I did not find a pic or sound
Old 02-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

My bad, thanks l2aine

I will most likely go HKS. I will post pics for sure and I will try to give you guys a sound clip since I did not find a pic or sound
If the cops in my area weren't such ________'s (insert any bad word there) I would have been rockin' the HKS the day after I bought my car (true long-time HKS fan right here)

I also considered the RS-R ExMag due to the stealth look, but when I saw one in person DAMN - the tip is still huge and noticeably not stock

Quick Reply: RS R or Custom?