NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

SOHC piston's and 91-94 cams in DOHC...S14

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 10:22 PM

SOHC piston's and 91-94 cams in DOHC...S14

Anyone do these engine mods to their 240sx? I got a 97 eng in my 92 fastback.. running OBD I... (dam o2 sensorS friggin expensive)... Thinking about hitting the junk yards for mods for a rebuild next summer.

How messy was the tune up to getting this setup to purr?

~Eji
Old 08-17-2005, 10:46 PM

Well the cams you want are actually from 91-93, not 94.
In 94 it was the cross over to OBD2, Nissan started early on smog tech.
As far as the SOHC pistons go you will also need to grab the SOHC rods as well in order for the rod and piston to join at the pin.
I havent done it myself, but from experience on other engines that is pretty much the procedure you will need to follow.
I think in the 97engine it will run a CR of 10.3:1. Just make shure that if you have strict smog laws in your state that you will pass. As heat in the chamber becomes greater do to the CR level, hydro carbons, and NOX levels rise as well.
I think Cali is the only state you really need to worry about that problem though......
Old 08-18-2005, 10:03 AM

just wondering... would the same results occur if you have a 91-93 KA and just put the SOHC pistons in?
Old 08-18-2005, 05:16 PM

why not? probably different CR specifics, though. afaik, all single cam KA pistons will fit in a DE engine and raise compression to some degree. I think if iEver did go this route though, i`ll be getting higher compression lightened, forged pistons and some good rods, and spend a few days bouncing off of 7000 or so.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by tryiian
and spend a few days bouncing off of 7000 or so.
Actually the KA on forged internals will hit 8000RPM with noooo problems.........
Old 08-19-2005, 11:26 PM

^now that is something that i'll drool over. would that have to be a DE though? or can an SOHC with a good head do it as well?
Old 08-22-2005, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

the sohc pistons and rods is a killer budget setup... you can get new pistons for 155 bucks... and the rods you can find in almost any junk yard... on the 91 to 93 dohc motors it will raise compression to 10.7 to 1... premium fuel is a must... timing retard is also helpful... then do a dual exhaust cam set up in your motor and it will be a pretty stout combonation for the street... with the 97 motor in your car you will have better breating than on the 91 to 93 motors...

i have built this setup a few times for cars around here none have done any dyno runs but there is an increase in power... like i said it is a good budget set up for anyone wanting to try it out... im getting everything together for another build up of this setup for the 89 hatch i picked up... will have more pics when i start on it next month...
Old 08-22-2005, 08:36 AM

damnit wikd..
I wish any of you guys lived around me even remotely close.
I don't have the money to have a shop do all the work for me and I don't have the knowledge to tackle a rebuild by my self. Boltons are fine.. but im scarred to death to tackle a rebuild... never done anything remotely close.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

lol...

all ya have to do is let me know what ya want and i will see what i can do... i can build the block here and have it shipped to you... then all you would have to do is send me your block in return... it aint like i dont have a spare block or 2 sitting around... all you would have to do is pay for the parts and the shipping... then install your head manifold front covers and all of the other parts that go on the motor... send me your block just the block no internals... i can get new cranks and everything else...

here is what you are looking at as far as the price goes...
crank 220...
rods 200...
pistons 155 plus shipping...
shipping from my house to yours... 200 or so...

this could be a little cheaper if the rods and pistons in your ka24e are good or not... you are pulling the motor anyway might as well see if there are any usable parts in there from that motor...if the rods and pistons are in good shape you are all set...new rings and bearings and you are good to go... if you can catch me on aim wikd24d or msn messenger stain23@hotmail.com... i hav e helped others rebuild their motors without having to ever leave my house... it aint as hard as you might think as long as you get the right tools and take your time...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:09 AM

hey wikd I added you to my msn.. I will catch you on there sometime!
Old 08-24-2005, 02:28 AM
Contributing Member

give me your email so i can add you for some reason it did not ask me to accept you...
Old 08-24-2005, 06:25 AM

thx for the info fellas... i got rods comming in... but my plans are get a cherry picker and rebuild the engine... so while i'm there might as well lighten things and add a bit more compression here and there.

If I recall correctly... there's a guy on hybridka.com selling Sohc internals... prolly get some brnad spankin new ones....

~eji

Last edited by Sieji; 08-24-2005 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:39 AM

Could you also just use the dohc head on the sohc block and get the same results? What all would have to be done for that to work? Thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 AM

you could, but I dont think all of the passages line up.. it would require some work I do belive.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:21 AM

What passages are you refering to? I haven't pulled the heads off yet

Quick Reply: SOHC piston's and 91-94 cams in DOHC...S14